ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

It will fail.

Cable penetration is too high in populated areas and there isn’t going to be enough subscribers to keep this kind of offering alive. I give it 3 years, maybe 4, until it folds. Besides, if it even gives off the aroma of success, the cable companies will counter it with affordable ala carte options. Areas underserved by cable are on the dish and live, in many cases, outside of a usable off air TV signal to begin with. That’s why farmhouses have 12 element yagis on their farm house roofs.

“As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
    How much you’ll pay for what you used to get for free”
    ~ Tom Petty from The Last DJ

Screamer
    Participant

Oh my that is a terrible lineup! If you at least had Fox News, CNN, MSNBC and ESPN, you might get some traction.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I read about this several months ago. Nothing too exciting on the list if you take away the diginets, etc. With Dish, Direct, Orby, cable, I don’t see this going anywhere.

Broadway
    Participant

Granted if they did offer most of what cable/satellite offers at lower costs could model work then?

Notalent
    Participant

The biggest reason my parents won’t cancel their crappy overpriced Cable One service and go to some form of OTA or streaming is Mariners games. Root sports is only available on cable. MLB is relentless at keeping people tied to cable.

Currently even road games broadcast on other networks are blacked out on my YouTube TV, and apparently that blackout zone covers most of the western US.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Notalent.
    Broadway
    Participant

Same scenario with my wife and the Blazers only on Comcast.

lastday
    Participant

Cable ain’t over yet. In fact as the streaming landscape becomes more and more fractured, cable doesn’t look as bad as it used to.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Terrestrial pay TV has been tried several times over the last 40-some years and has failed completely each time, so I don’t hold out much hope of this latest attempt lasting more than a couple years. Probably the closest thing to terrestrial “cable” TV that has met with anything resembling long-term success was 2 GHz MMDS, which isn’t saying much. I guess it still exists in a few places, mostly in the south and midwest, though it might have fared a little better had the investment scammers not killed it off.

Remember the digital pay TV system that came and went about 15 years ago in IIRC Vegas? Microshark were behind it. It was transmitted as part of ATSC 1 muxes but used their notoriously crappy proprietary Window$ Media codecs instead of MPEG2-with-access-controls. It made such an impact on the market that I don’t even remember its name!

Anyways, the technology to do what they want to do in Idaho already exists (MMDS). What’s the point of throwing good money out for bad and reinventing a tried-and-untrue wheel, hoping this time some of the shit might actualy stick?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I totally agree. Back in the old days there was no streaming either and much competition. Today there are so many ways to get TV. I don’t see this going anywhere either.

LinleyG
    Participant

As a follow-up, KOXO (RF ch. 15), after being on the air with an ATSC 3.0 signal for 41 days went dark seven days ago on 9/8/20. I delayed reporting, thinking it might be just one of life’s little bumps.

Linley

DarkStar
    Participant

As a follow-up, KOXO (RF ch. 15), after being on the air with an ATSC 3.0 signal for 41 days went dark seven days ago on 9/8/20. I delayed reporting, thinking it might be just one of life’s little bumps.

Our Samsung Q800T saw their transmission, but couldn’t decode anything from them (or even get a valid channel number). The StreamScope came up with basically no data in their transmission, so I’m not really surprised.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Well, we finally got the 12 mux, so we now have 26 OTA channels. Really cool.

yahmit
    Participant

They still haven’t turned on the translator in Salem. I can’t get the subs (12.2 – 12.4) in Salem. I was able to get them before the switch. Hopefully they will get down here soon.

semoochie
    Participant

I just rescanned and got 57 channels, including four from the KOPB translator! That’s 54 more from when I was nine!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.