ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I found I can find the RF channel on my Vizio TV by looking at the System Information menu.

washnotore
    Participant

Changes to the Portland TV “Dial”

SBE 124 Says

News and Links You Can Use

Around 10:00 AM I was checking each channel. Be way of TSReader Lite. To see the new streams come online. Everything went pretty smooth.

HD streams for each channel were pared down a bit. 1080i bit rate is around 10 MB. While 720p bit rate is around 7 MB. The 480i streams were between 1 to 2 MB. Not bad for having up to 5 or 6 streams per RF Channel.

Just a few things to note.

All the KPDX streams are now on Hi-VHF (Portland Only). The audio on 49.1 was fluttering/clipping. It was fixed a few hours later.

KRCW 32.1 has slightly more bandwidth allocation then KATU 2.1 on RF 24.

I enjoyed the two hours of dualcasting. To compare between old and new ATSC 1.0 encoder rates.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by washnotore.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by washnotore.
    mwdxer1
    Participant

When I got home for lunch, I did a scan and I got 22 OTA channels up from 16. The 12 mux was not included as we are still getting the 12.1/49.1 mux. I e mailed the engineer and was told they had crews headed out to the translator sites to switch. I guess there was not way to switch directly from Portland to the sites. Other than that everything looks good. Those encoders must to top notch as the reported bandwidth is pretty small on the 480i signals. Yet, it looks pretty good. I am on the Northern Oregon Coast and we get OTA off Megler.
    It is sure nice to finally have CW out here OTA. Many people have never seen KRCW if they only were using OTA. This is fantastic. I am a fan of old TV shows so it is really nice to also have Antenna TV and also Cozi when we get it.
    I have the Amazon ReCast and I scanned in the 22 channels and I got the full 2 week guide. My TV will only show the current program and the next.
    A great amount of thanks goes out to the Portland stations for giving us so much free TV. It is so much appreciated by many out here. Cable & satellite has gotten so expensive for some, since digital hit, quite a few antennas went up.

DarkStar
    Participant

KRCW 32.1 has slightly more bandwidth allocation then KATU 2.1 on RF 24.

KATU is running a 100% variable bitrate with all the feeds in a single statmux. Bits are automatically reallocated based on content with even distribution.

You’ll see times that KATU is pulling more bits vs. KRCW too, it just depends.

LinleyG
    Participant

A third ATSC3.0 DTV signal has appeared on RF ch.15. Sometime in the last 24 hours.

Linley

semoochie
    Participant

…and who is that?

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I don’t see anything on RF 15 in Milwaukie.

msndrspdx
    Participant

According to RabbitEars, RF 15 should be KOXO. RabbitEars is now listing the channel share arrangements in Portland. The translators should take a few days to be reconfigured for the new setup. Is everyone now in place on both 1.0 and 3.0? Salt Lake City has made the transition, too. According to RabbitEars, all the translators that are on the daisy chain that connects the major SLC stations have been placed in the new setup at all their sites statewide in Utah. No word yet from Comcast Portland about picking up the 3.9 feeds.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Make that 3.0.

mwdxer1
    Participant

All but one of the translators out here on the North Coast have the same mux as Portland. Meredith sent engineers out to several sites that has the 12.1/49.1 mux. I checked the list and it seems there are only 6, Astoria, Tillamook, Newport, Newberg, Salem, and Monument. I thought that is odd that Meredith has a translator at Monument out in Eastern OR, as Monument only has 151 people. Probably an old one set up decades ago. I checked this morning and no change here as yet on 12.1/49.1. Hopefully they did not run into any issues. I have no idea on what of work needs to be done to switch the translators.

semoochie
    Participant

“Make that 3.0.”

Right next to the word “reply”, above your new post, you will see the word, “edit”. If you click on that, you don’t have to send an additional post. This feature should last long enough for you realize something is wrong and change it.

Borderblaster
    Participant

To Mr. Hinterland:
    You reside in a television translator district?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I wonder how long it will be for the 12/49 mux change here on the coast? I guess the engineers were out to sites on Wednesday. So I presume they are working on them. It must have been more involved than I thought. I checked and there are 6 sites for the 12/49 mux. They other site are a mix of 12.1/12.2/12.3/12.4 & 49.1/49.2/49.3/49.4. I don’t know if the other sites will take a physical change at the site? These are the 12.1/49.1 sites.Astoria/Tillamook/Newport/Newberg/Salem/Monument. I have no idea what the engineers need to do to make the switch. I know in the past when the 12.1/49.1 Encoders broke, Meredith would just switch to the regular 12.1/12.2/12.3/12.4 mux.

radiogeek
    Participant

Display Channel, Digital Channel, … oy vey!

What a mess. Every so often I have to stop everything, then let the TV scan again, then spend the next hour sorting out the mess and getting rid of the stations I have no interest in watching.

I sure wish this didn’t make such a mess of things on the digital tuners! I do admit I watch many sub-net channels that weren’t available before.

Ed

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.