ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes indeed, we are really looking forward to the stacking. On the North Coast (Translators at Megler MT, WA), we have 16 offerings. (2/6/8/10/12-49) If KPTV switches their KPTV/KPDX mux to the new stack, we should get 25-26 channels OTA. Channels like Cozi & Antenna TV have been requested for years. Since Tribune never believed in translators, KRCW only had a few and most were from earlier years before Tribune bought them. Now that Nexstar has KRCW, I figured we would have a better chance of getting CW out here. I did not expect the stacking, but even this is better. Even without 3.0 for a while here, we do get a great benefit.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Our Vizio E241I-B1 TV allows scans of a selected range of channels.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I contacted KPTV and was told, yes indeed we will be getting the new line up:
    12.1 KPTV HD
    12.2 COZI
    12.3 Laff
    12.4 DABL
    49.1 KPDX HD

I am really looking forward to the 28th…

yahmit
    Participant

IS KPTV running at a lower power now. The main signal with the diginets is coming in scrambled in Salem.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know why KPTV would be running lower power. KPDX or KRCW might be making changes because those two will be using 3.0. No change in the translator out here on the coast.

DarkStar
    Participant

Last week and this week, KATU, KOIN and KRCW will be intermittently running between low power at the auxiliary site, half-power at the main site, and a few tests at full-power from the main site. This is to allow the combiner manufacturer to do some tests/analysis so the site can be at full-power by 7/28.

All the stations are installing new ATSC 1.0 encoders, so expect plenty of null packets to be flying around. 🙂

KPTV could be working on getting their ATSC 3.0 exciter configured. Don’t know if they would be running at lower power from an auxiliary site in order to get that completed.

KRCW has also been spending time last week and this week to get their new ATSC 3.0 exciter installed. The Nexstar team has been working really hard to decommission old equipment and general cleanup from the KRCW suite. Viewers won’t know the difference, but it should make the old IOT transmitter more reliable and hopefully a bit more serviceable!

boisebill
    Participant

Saw some pics of some “issues”. With the combiner mentioned?

yahmit
    Participant

mwdxer1. Did KPTV say if they were upgrading all their translators, or just the one in your area?

mwdxer1
    Participant

It will be all of them as far as I know. They are replacing the Encoders and everyone that gets their signal off a O&O Meredith translator will get the new mux. Now the ones in areas not owned by Meredith, I have no idea. I presume that it up to them. The ones at Megler Mountain are all O&O. That means for us we go from just 12.1/49.1 to 12.1/12.2/12.3/12.4/49.3/49.4, the way I understand it. The new Encoders should give us a better picture even with the stacking. It should take place late in the morning on the 28th, but the time is not in stone, depending on how well things ago.

washnotore
    Participant

I noticed over the years. That Meredith uses two translator per community where they broadcast in. One is KPTV signal the other KPDX signal.

Now the KPDX is being reconfigured for stacking with KPTV/KGW. That leaves an open translator space for another Portland broadcaster to use.

I noticed that in a few areas like Tillimook, The Dalles and Prineville. KOIN is lacking it’s own translator signal to those communities.

This was due to KOIN ownership shuffle some years ago. That left some holes in there translator network. Across Western and Central Oregon.

washnotore
    Participant

Both KPDX and KRCW have each file STA paperwork with FCC. To indicate there restacking plans with other ATSC 1.0 stations.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I would figure with no KOIN translator for Tillamook, people could pick up Rockaway Beach 15 miles away though. I do know how much coverage Rockaway Beach has. I know the directivity is such I cannot get them here on the North Coast. Even Gray’s River translators only lock in a few areas, but not at my house.

DarkStar
    Participant

The new ATSC 1.0 encoders at KATU are now online. Unfortunately this means that MeTV is now in 480i, but I’ve noticed that the new encoders are providing much better picture quality (less macroblocking).

KRCW 32.1 is being encoded, but the tables are currently hidden until 10am tomorrow.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I notice a drop in pq from 720p, but it still looks good. Hopefully the rest of the stacking is as good.
    Thanks for the update. We on the North Coast are really counting down the hours.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Well, I had to rescan this evening for 32 and 49. 2 hasn’t changed.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.