ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

This week, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that existing television station ownership rules won’t apply to efforts to build out what FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr has described as “broadcast internet.”

The decision came in the form of a declatory ruling, with the FCC stating that stations can lease spectrum to provide broadcast internet service without worrying about the long-standing TV ownership restrictions. As an example, the FCC said a broadcaster could lease spectrum to other broadcasters, including those in the same geographic market, or to third parties for broadcast internet use without running afoul of existing rules.

FCC Declares TV Ownership Rules Don’t Apply to ATSC 3.0’s ‘Broadcast Internet’

Dielectric has made a list that it wants broadcasters to check twice when it comes to transitioning to the new ATSC 3.0 standard.

The “RF Systems Considerations for ATSC Change” is meant to check every box as part of a thorough evaluation of RF systems for their readiness for NextGen TV, which Dielectric describes as significantly different from the process of transitioning to ATSC 1.0.

The checklist addresses two major consequences of transitioning to ATSC 3.0: the increase in occupied bandwidth and the increase in peak power. Other elements touched on in the checklist are the removal or replacement of old RF equipment; RF system service, including sweeps performed by Dielectric engineers to improve overall VSWR performance; and compatibility of components, including acceptable filtering levels and the presence of appropriate interlock and RF monitoring points.

Dielectric does acknowledge that many broadcasters may have critical components in place because of RF upgrades made during the repack.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/dielectric-unveils-atsc-30-checklist-for-rf-systems

Triveni Digital today announced ATSC 3.0 Cloud, a service that enables broadcasters to launch NextGen TV services faster and more efficiently.

The solution, which integrates Triveni Digital’s software-based ATSC 3.0 Broadcast Gateway scheduler, GuideBuilder XM ATSC 3.0 transport encoder and third-party systems, is available with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.

“ATSC 3.0 will create important new opportunities for U.S. broadcast television stations, including the ability to deliver advanced emergency alerts, program guides and targeted advertising,” said Ralph Bachofen, vice president of sales and marketing at Triveni Digital.

“By adopting our ATSC 3.0 Cloud service, these exciting NextGen TV services can be delivered with maximum efficiency. This solution is the next step in Triveni Digital’s overall strategy to empower broadcasters and enable a smooth, cost-effective transition to the next era of TV,” he said.

The service offers instant scalability and upgradeability, offering broadcasters the flexibility to grow. The new service supports the Secure Reliable Transport (SRT) protocol, which minimizes the effects of jitter and bandwidth changes. It also ensures a secure communications path in the cloud, protecting content from contribution to distribution, the company said.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/equipment/triveni-digital-launches-atsc-30-cloud-service

washnotore
    Participant

COVID-19 Delays, Not Derails, NextGen TV Plans

TVN Tech | COVID-19 Delays, Not Derails, NextGen TV Plans

This article covers Portland TV pretty well. Just about every station in the market. Will have to purchase new ATSC Encoders. To make channel stacking possible.

KATU KOIN KGW KOPB KPTV
    ATSC 1.0 – VSB8 – MPEG2
    HD 1080i or 720p and SD 480i

KRCW KPDX
    ATSC 3.0 – QAM256 – MPEG4
    HD 1080p for now

mwdxer1
    Participant

The June 9th day came and went. So the info is still not correct. It looks like July 28th, if it still holds. I am hoping the stacking starts before that, as it will be nice to more OTA on the Northern Oregon Coast.

DarkStar
    Participant

As of right now, the July 28th transition date will be all encompassing. Stacking and ATSC 1 to ATSC 3 switch will be on that day.

It’s estimated that stations will be stacked for about 2 hours to verify viewers are able to rescan prior to KRCW and KPDX switching to ATSC 3.0.

The only casualty will be with MeTV being downconverted to 480i.

Translators are fed one of three ways, either via fiber, microwave, or off-air receive. There is nothing currently written that indicates there will be a special mux for translators, so it is expected that whatever mux is being sent to the main transmitters will be going to translators as well. In the case of KRCW and KPDX, I imagine that they’ll switch their translators to KOIN and KPTV respectively unless it is a duplication at a particular site.

Hopefully I’ll have my HDHomeRun Quatro 4K by then so I can do some bitstream analysis. Most of the TV stations are getting Samsung Q800T, Q900TS, or Q950TS series as they are already available from Best Buy and support ATSC 3.0 reception.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks again for the update. Yes, Rockaway Beach (not owned by Meredith) translators have both 12 and 49 with all of the sub channels as they are broadcast. I think it is owned by some community system. The Meredith translator in Tillammok is the same as here (Astoria) the 12/49 mux. The only reason Meredith did the the 12/49 mux, was they did not have a translator for 49 in most areas. They could run both 12.1/49.1 in 720p. With the 49.1 going to 12 now, there should not be any issue.
    I believe both KOIN & KPDX both run Bounce. Are they still running two streams? I would think that would not be needed. But apparently both Meredith & Nexstar are licensed to run them. That seems odd that a service would license two stations to run the same channel in the same market.

LinleyG
    Participant

Search either the Samsung or the Best Buy site for either NextGen or ATSC3 (etc.). You will find that, to say the least, the coming change in OTA DTV standards is not a big deal to them. I had to dig down to the tiny fine print on the Samsung site to find out the set had a RF tuner much less that the tuner was ATSC 3.0 compatible. NextGen is simply not a selling point at Samsung.

L

mwdxer1
    Participant

I wonder then if Next Gen TV will be more like HD Radio? Plenty of stations around in the cities, but few radios.

Borderblaster
    Participant

At 75 percent of U.S. households on cable or satellite television, honestly
    https://giphy.com/gifs/NVkQeztyuTpgk/html5

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I watch TV off the air, and have ever since Comcast took over AT&T cable, some 19 years ago.

washnotore
    Participant

Sinclair Owned Station in Pittsburgh now NextGen

http://22thepoint.com/news/do-you-watch-22-the-point-over-the-air-youll-need-to-rescan-your-tv

Sinclair Owned WPNT-TV just turned on there ATSC 3.0 signal. There is a few SBC stations in the pipeline to become NextGen soon.

mwdxer1
    Participant

A lot of people around here have satellite or cable and they still have an outdoor antenna, as that is free TV with sub channels. The pq is better with OTA, and some sub channels are not carried on cable/satellite. With cable & satellite, they have charges now for locals. Like with Dish, if you drop locals and still have the the cable channels, get an antenna, you can save $12 a month.

semoochie
    Participant

I found that with streaming, I don’t need cable or satellite. I’m not a sports junkie and am perfectly content with Netflix, Hulu, Prime and anything else online(mostly YouTube). I have a roof antenna for the local signals, which number about 40 these days! I also get about 200 free channels that come with my TV!

washnotore
    Participant

KPTV and KOIN has begun there 30 day notice for NextGen TV. Since this only effects there sister stations KPDX and KRCW. During there newscasts a crawl message has appeared. To remind viewers of OTA only. To do a rescan on July 28. Both stations should have there ATSC 1.0 signals turned off by 10:00 AM on that morning.

DarkStar
    Participant

On Tuesday, July 28th, the ATSC 1.0 hosts will begin simulcast of their guests at 11 AM. Verification will be made during that hour to make sure when viewers rescan that they’ll be able to receive KRCW and KPDX on the new channels.

At Noon, KRCW and KPDX will switch from their ATSC 1.0 exciters to their ATSC 3.0 exciters and we’ll begin verification of that transmission.

If everything goes to plan, viewers can perform a rescan after Noon to continue to receive KRCW and KPDX. Translator viewers will get some bonus content too (especially if they receive KATU but not KRCW).

radiogeek
    Participant

As a consumer of OTA TV, I wish the devices would allow a rescan of only a segment of the spectrum.

I hate how long it takes to rescan the entire spectrum, then I have to go manually into the channel settings and block all the stuff I don’t want slowing down my surfing, commerce channels, on air religion, channels in languages I don’t understand.

Oh well, there goes another 30 minutes at least just because something has to change again.

Ed

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.