ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

ATSC 3.0 receiver availability will be delayed significantly. After an extended vacation for the Chinese New Year, the Covid virus resulted in the shutdown of all Chinese manufacturing which will certainly affect the rollout of receivers in the U.S.

In fact, the current situation has even taken the wind out of the sails of the rollout on the transmitting end of the upgrade. To date, only 24 applications to broadcast 3.0 have been filed with the FCC. So the industry was looking to NAB 2020 as the place to get more clarity — until the annual convention was canceled on March 11.

https://www.atsc.org/news/tvn-tech-covid-19-delays-not-derails-nextgen-tv-plans/

In addition, the economy is in a big downturn. That means that folks are not going to replace existing hardware just to be current, opting to wait until their cash flow comes back to normal. Even an inexpensive converter box will be deemed a luxury. Assuming that all the new TVs with new tuners that were to be demo’d at NAB eventually go into mass production, it will be a while until a. they arrive in the U.S. and b. are affordable by a U.S. public being beaten down by a huge recession, the size and duration of which is still unknown.

Sorry to burst anyone’s balloon, but a spoonful of reality was needed in this thread.

Sure, wealthy early adopters will spend anything to get their local bragging rights in place but don’t expect the fact that Portland is an early rollout of the technology to override the reality of the current situation.

washnotore
    Participant

From the Antenna Man on You Tube

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thank for the post. I guess he has no idea that 3.0 has not launched as yet. I read Las Vegas in late May and Portland in early June. It would be nice to have one, but it will be years until 3.0 gets out to the Coast.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Mentioning more channels in 3.0. Portland TV stations do not carry many diginets available in smaller markets. Heroes & Icon’s, RTV, Movies, and Decades that KOIN used to have. Hopefully with 3.0 we will get more diginets. I read KRCW no longer has THIS either. Decades was very popular.

DarkStar
    Participant

A few updates:

Due to continued manufacturer delays, the new Portland launch target date is now 7/28.

SiliconDust has launched a Kickstarter for their ATSC 3.0 capable HDHomeRun Quatro 4K for $199.

ZapperBox has announced that their ATSC 3.0 compatible set-top box will be launching at $249.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the update.

Notalent
    Participant

So this ATSC3, This will mean I can watch Green Acres OTA in 4k?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Notalent.
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Only is the original is re-done in real 4K. Disney is doing that with their library and it is expensive and very slow going. They only seem to add an old one every month or so in 4K.
    They just added “The Boy Who Talked to Badgers”, from the Wonderful World of Disney 1975. I doubt all of the old sitcoms will be re-done in 4K.

washnotore
    Participant

Now is the time to start checking ATSC signal/streams with TSReader Lite software.

Over the next two months most of the diginet streams on each channel will start to look a little fuzzy. Thanks to the upcoming channel sharing agreement later this summer.

As I’m looking at the stream of each stations. I see KATU is currently the only station nearly ready to add another stream. Two 720p streams and three 480i streams.

KOIN, KGW and KPTV are still show large bandwidth allocation to there dot 1 channels. But that will change once these ATSC 1.0 stream. Are reconfigured for one HD stream for KOIN and KGW. And two HD streams for KPTV.

Each station will host at least five SD streams. Something that is currently seen over at KPXG.

There going to be that rare opportunity. To have a few days of dualcasting. Before KRCW and KPDX signal are coverted to ATSC 3.0 …

mwdxer1
    Participant

Since I never seen anything over 1 HD/3 SD on a channel, and we do not get ION via a translator out here on the coast, or for that matter TBN. How does ION look as far as pq?

washnotore
    Participant

All the stations in Portland except for KPXG. Are configured for a resolution of 704 x 480i for all there SD Streams.

Here is how channel streams are carved out for KPXG.

Resolution 1280 x 720p – The same used for chs 2 12 49

22.1 ION —— 7.25 Mbps

This is how KPXG has it’s six SD streams setup.

Resolution 528 x 480i (Not 704 x 480i)
    22.3 ION Plus — 2.25 Mbps
    22.4 ION Shop — 1.85 Mbps
    22.7 Telemundo – 2.10 Mbps

The first three SD have a good PQ

Resolution 528 x 480i (Not 704 x 480i)
    22.2 qubo —– 1.40 Mbps
    22.5 QVC —— 1.40 Mbps
    22.6 HSN —— 800 Kbps (From ch 22 analong days)

But the last three SD look fuzzy and sometime Macroblocking appears. Qubo is programming for kids. And QVC and HSN are shopping channels.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks. I figured the low rate would give poor results like on the shopping channels. It will be interesting to see how the pq is on the stacking…

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.