ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    DarkStar
    Participant
    LinleyG
    Participant

I don’t see DarkStar’s last message the header says should be here. Is that what the “What the Hell” tag is about?

ATSC3.0 allows the operator to choose from a long menu of choices from low data throughput/low S/N threshold to high data throughput/high S/N threshold. For a given transmitted ERP the computed noise limited coverage is dependent on what S/N is required to decode the signal. Scanning through the applications, I note that the ATSC3.0 coverage curves don’t identify what threshold S/N is assumed. Can anyone clarify this for me. Is there a given requirement somewhere in the rules?

Further, is it known at this time what ATSC3.0 parameters will be used by Portland’s “lighthouse” transmitters?

DarkStar
    Participant

LinleyG: I didn’t see my post before either (it’s the RBR article), but it’s there now!

I know that the Pearl TV and The Spectrum Co are working on determining the transmission parameters for the ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 lighthouses right now. I don’t know when those will be finalized.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have previously used the “What the Hell happened?” tag to refer to any kind of broadcaster technical difficulty (such as failing automation) or reception issues. That has been my interpretation of its intended meaning. Until it was presented in this thread as a reference to WordPress behavior, I had not thought of it in that light.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Problems with the almighty “spam catcher”. It hasn’t been doing too good lately, flagging legitimate posts and preventing publication. So I disabled for the time being. Sorry for the problemo’s and hopefully things will get better (here & everywhere). 🙂

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Alfredo_T wins the thread!

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Dan, I thought you disabled the spam trap. Guess what, it just ate my third (and I’m going to call it final since this is really getting old) attempt at posting the Jargon File to the Towers & Stuff 2020 thread.

It looks like I’m going to have to figure out some sort of external hosting arrangement for it since WordPress having a mind of its own simply isn’t acceptable.

semoochie
    Participant

Could it be a browser problem because it hasn’t happened to me?

Andy Brown
    Participant

No. It isn’t a “browser” problem. It’s a bad upgrade version which apparently they don’t give a crap about fixing. It doesn’t like certain links or perhaps the syntax of certain links, label them spam and eats them. Other times, posts with no links that are short get eaten, too. It’s making no sense to me but it isn’t the browser. It’s been happening a lot to too many folks. Many don’t post about it, they just repost (or not).

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

That’s what happens when you choose a content management system like WordPress to run your site “because it’s popular” over a real BBS system like Simple Machines.

Wordpress is not a forum system and never has been. It’s a weblog platform, first and foremost, that they piled a bunch of crap on top of to make it function like a full CMS, then they decided it should also have some forum-like functionality bolted onto it. Literally, what you’re using right now (and what exists at other similar ones e.g. Radioinsight) is just an extended form of the “comments” section of a WP blawrg posting that they decided to hack into a forum backend plugin. It’s like sticking a motocross fairing and knobbies onto a Hardly-Ableson and calling it a dirt bike. It might work as a “dirt bike” in its most basic functionality but it’s an halfassed hack at best, under the hood it’s still the same unreliable zero-horsepower V-twin piece of shit that it’s always been, and certainly not something you’d want to be seen dead running at track day. They kind of got it right with Bbpress (what this site used previously), which was an halfway usable forum system and worked more or less decently for what it was, but IIRC they discontinued it in their infinite wisdom.

Basically WP’s software is so brittle that for every one thing they fix/patch/bolt on they end up breaking shit long-tons of others. (Same deal with Youtube, or Amazon.) I think the site’s behaviour we’re seeing lately could be the fallout from their finally having patched the ad infinitum editing bug-feature, which must have fucked the spam trap system up somehow. It’s all so fragile.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Dan should seriously consider dumping this WordPress solution. If he’s not got the time, he should solicit volunteers to help transition and work through the conversion filters.

Anyone out there that tries to make a post and is returned a blank posting box instead of their post, be sure and check the following:

1. Often, (I hesitate to say always) the post that doesn’t show on the return screen after you hit submit has indeed actually posted at the end of the previous page of the thread. You can’t access it from the landing page that shows all the forums and the most recent post/poster. That link will just return the blank posting box.

2. Long posts are iffy. Long posts with numerous links are iffier.

3. Short posts with no links are not immune. Sometimes for no apparent reason at all, wordpress will think it’s spam.

4. Posting in more than one thread with a minimum of time in-between also seems to be a flag.

mwdxer1
    Participant

After re-reading your post, I presume after 1.0 goes away, in 5+ years, the lineup with me back on 32 & 49? Hopefully by then, if the translators are updated to 3.0, we will continue to have all of the channels. I have spread the news and viewers here on the North Coast are really excited. One complaint I have heard from people that have second homes on the coast that several diginets have not been available especially Antenna TV, Grit, and Cozi. Hopefully more antennas will go up. There are quite a few already. With all the the diginets available, I presume Charter (Spectrum) will add those for the cable subs. Thank you again for the great update.

Broadway
    Participant
    DarkStar
    Participant

Since manufacturers have put a temporary hold on travel, ATSC 3.0 deployments will be delayed. We’re penciled in for early June now, but I’ll keep you all posted.

mwdxer1: If I had to guess, translators will be quickly converted to ATSC 3.0 after the 5 year lighthouse period. When that happens, I wouldn’t be surprised if KPTV adds the KPDX offerings to its ATSC 3.0 signal and KOIN adds the KRCW offerings to its ATSC 3.0 signal. This is purely speculation though.

mwdxer1
    Participant

This is what I was afraid of as I mentioned to a couple viewers using OTA antennas here on the coast. Oh well, we have waited this long. I presume a bit longer wont matter. With everything shutting down, who knows about even June? We may have to wait months or after the virus starts to drop off. Thanks for letting us know.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.