ATSC 3.0 Around the Northwest

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

USTV failed with ATSC 1.0 pay tv in Salt Lake City and elsewhere. What market demands have changed to make one think this is going to work with ATSC 3.0? Evoca will use Boise as its first market.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/words-deeds/article242351731.html

Evoca Aims for Early Access of ATSC 3.0 Pay TV Service on Sept. 1

The news about Evoca also fills the TV broadcast technology websites. This sdounds like a hybrid IPTV/POTA service to offer that much content. Pity the investors…

Oh yes … POTA = ” Pay Over The Air” .. a much more powerful version of the subcription TV model.. Darn -Now where did I store my KECH 22 ONTV antenna?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have read that it will be years for ATSC 3.0 to catch on. Not the 5 years they talk about, but maybe 10. People I doubt are going to run out and buy a tuner. Now when the tuners are in new TV’s, viewers will have access. But for now, I don’t see much happening. Out here on the coast it will be years until we see it and with streaming growing by leaps & bounds, will anyone even care? It is quite expensive to switch and several stations have stated they have no interest in it.I’m not holding my breath. By the time 3.0 catches on, we may have something different in the wings. One report stating that in tests, the 3.0 is not getting out any better than digital 1.0. I have no idea, as I have not seen any.
    Will Evoca end up selling their services via Roku or Fire TV too? The way things are moving so fast in this day, something yesterday becomes obsolete today.
    I heard early on that 3.0 would be offering high speed internet, but I have not heard anything about it in months.
    A lot has to happen before I’m excited.

chessyduck
    Participant

Besides DirecTv and Dish, Evoca competes with Orby , a Ku-band service with a few transponders offering a basic-TV package. If you look at the Evoca.TV website the requirements include an “Internet connection” – no standalone subscribers apparently because of the IP-augmented content.

Now I know what will happen with all those LPTV license…

mwdxer1
    Participant

Add to that so many streaming services that now carry at least some locals along with cable channels. For years there wasn’t enough, now it seems like there may be more than enough.

Shirley Knott
    Participant

So maybe everybody on this board could pool their beer and pizza money and we could start another TV network.

Maybe 24 hours a day of Northwest Beavers at Work.

chessyduck
    Participant

With Orby now dead the Evoca model still seems ill-fated….

Nevertheless, Evoca is expanding to Twin Falls and is even going to offer a Basque TV channel for its subscribers. (I suspect the channel is “EiTB Basque”, the autonomous community government’s international service, available for free in the Americas on Hispasat and everywhere at eitb.eus . The channel broadcasts in Euskera and Spanish.)

Here is the story:

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/evoca-expands-to-new-markets-increases-channel-offerings

(Surprise finding during research – KBGA in Missoula offers a Basque-themed radio show. Details at: https://www.euskalkultura.eus/english/news/the-radio-program-boise-taupada-resumes-broadcasts-this-friday-basque-music-and-comments-from-boise-idaho. )

washnotore
    Participant

Current ATSC 3.0 Broadcast Stations

Seattle WA
    24 KUNS-TV Sinclair
    31 KONG-TV Tenga

Portland OR
    30 KPDX-TV Meredith
    33 KRCW-TV Nexstar

15 KOXO-CA Watch TV
    35 KKEI-CA Watch TV

Astoria OR
    28 K28FP-D Watch TV

Medford OR
    14 K14SC-D Watch TV
    28 K28GG-D Watch TV

Bend OR
    25 K25GA-D Watch TV

mwdxer1
    Participant

K28FP Astoria isn’t on the air, as far as I know. They tested back in the 1990s, but never formally came on the air.

boisebill
    Participant

For half the cost of the Evoca I can stream many times more channels than they’re offering. Even if the double the channels by adding more LD stations it’s still “meh”. They’d better improve their technical side before launching. The demo ATSC 3.0 they are running in Boise’ is unwatchable.

mwdxer1
    Participant

There needs to be a low cost streaming service that offers all or most of the diginets. I still have Dish as they have many that are not on in Portland including H&I, Start TV, Buzzr, Comet, etc. Some stream, but others are not available. I wish someone in Portland would carry Decades again.

LinleyG
    Participant

In Portland, KOXO-CD on RF15 is transmitting a very low power ATSC3 signal while sister WatchTV station KORS-CD on RF16 is transmitting a much more powerful one.

WatchTV station KORK-CD continues to transmit an ATSC1 signal on RF35 while its sister station KKEI-CD, allotted RF36, hasn’t been on the air since 4-6-2020.

L

mwdxer1
    Participant

Wonder why KORS is not on Locast? KSLM is.

washnotore
    Participant

Station owner Edge Spectrum. Currently has many LPTV stations that are not on the air. As Edge is filling paper work with the FCC. Some of the LPTV applications are taking longer to build out.

This indicate that Edge plans to convert many of their LPTV signals to ATSC 3.0. (LPTV signals are exempt from the ATSC 1.0 simulcast requirements, so they don’t need to find simulcast partners).

Once again the broadcasters big and small. Are able to find loopholes with in there FCC filing system.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

USTV failed with ATSC 1.0 pay tv in Salt Lake City and elsewhere. What market demands have changed to make one think this is going to work with ATSC 3.0? Evoca will use Boise as its first market.

There is no market demand. If there was, broadcast pay TV would be everywhere by now. This is just another instance of “it’s a new technology so let’s do it just so the pundits can say somebody did it then pull the plug because we know nobody wants it”.

‘Murica.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t see it either. People are used to “Free” OTA TV and I doubt are interested in paying.There are all sorts of free streaming services too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.