Art Bell Retires From Broadcasting …Again

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Art Bell Retires From Broadcasting …Again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

Art Bell has been shot at, twice, by some crazy person. This from his website:

“I am sorry to have to announce this but I will not be on Tonight or any other night, yes I am going to hang it up. Whoever this crazy person is, they are not stopping and it has come to the point that we as a Family do not feel it is worth the risk. While I think the person or persons are after me, my Wife and now my Daughter are really scared, the other night after the latest incident my Daughter was off in the corner of her bed scared to death as the Police cars came screaming up. I will not put my Family through this. As you all know I dearly love what I do but not at the expense of never ending Terrorism. I want to thank those of you who have shown so much support and it has been my joy, short as it has been to have cracked that Mic open for a last time. This was a Family decision. The girls stuck with me and still would but if one of them were harmed because of what I love doing my life would be over.”

Art

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/143075/art-bell-no-longer-broadcasting-retires-under-duress/

Dxer1969
    Participant

Oh, jeez! That really sucks! Got into his show again and now he is gone again. At least I got to hear him again for awhile. Think this is it though. Thanks, Craig. And thank you, Art! For over 20 years of radio entertainment and interesting shows! Hope they catch the bastard!

WMA35
    Participant

That should make dozens of people sad.

What a whackbag this guy.

spud
    Participant

Nobody disagrees on that WMA35. But is that a reason to kill him? So if you disagree with Art, kill him. Disagree with Trump, takes his site down… Now I understand why Lars Larson ALWAYS carries a gun! I like what Ben Carson said, “Being politically correct is our nations biggest problem”.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recall that every other time that Art Bell has gone off the air, it has been due to death threats or acts of violence against him or members of his family. Why, of all radio personalities, would Art Bell be a target for an assassination attempt? If the stuff he talks about on the air were true, wouldn’t he more likely be abducted by aliens or bitten by a chupacabra?

spud
    Participant

Alfredo, maybe it was a chupacabra! Let wait and see what the investigators will say 🙂

Langston
    Participant

He will always be remembered as the man who led us through the horrors of Y2K.

paulwalker
    Participant

Has he even been on broadcast radio the past 2-3 years? I f so, please tell me where. If his “broadcasts” were podcasts, then that would also be helpful information.

I will not make a judgement on the authenticity of his claims, but he does seem to be somewhat dramatic when he leaves the airwaves.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Art Bell was a great broadcaster, but for whatever reason he does not seem to be marketable here entering 2016, IMO. Wish that wasn’t the case.

spud
    Participant

@paulwalker. No, no podcast. He was LIVE on dozens of stations across the U.S. and Canada. Even KXL had him. He was actually very popular. Check out this list of stations.

http://midnightinthedesert.com/radio-stations/

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access with the fall out of network fill hosts:

Art Bell Exits His Show Again

ART BELL told listeners FRIDAY (12/11) that he has left his overnight syndicated and online radio show once again.

In a note posted to his website, BELL wrote, “I am sorry to have to announce this but I will not be on Tonight or any other night, yes I am going to hang it up. Whoever this crazy person is, they are not stopping and it has come to the point that we as a Family do not feel it is worth the risk. While I think the person or persons are after me, my Wife and now my Daughter are really scared, the other night after the latest incident my Daughter was off in the corner of her bed scared to death as the Police cars came screaming up. I will not put my Family through this. As you all know I dearly love what I do but not at the expense of never ending Terrorism. I want to thank those of you who have shown so much support and it has been my joy, short as it has been to have cracked that Mic open for a last time. This was a Family decision. The girls stuck with me and still would but if one of them were harmed because of what I love doing my life would be over.”

BELL had relaunched his show recently as “MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT” and had begun to add broadcast stations like CUMULUS News-Talk KABC-A/LOS ANGELES to his affiliate roster. The show continued FRIDAY with HEATHER WADE hosting and BELL calling in; The DARK MATTER RADIO NETWORK’s KEITH ROWLAND posted SUNDAY (12/13) that the show will continue with WADE “for the next 30 days minimum” online live and will feed whatever radio affiliates prefer, WADE or reruns of BELL, for 9p-midnight (PT). If, he said, stations prefer BELL reruns, online subscribers will hear WADE live 6-9p (PT) , but if they prefer WADE, she will host 9p-midnight weeknights. He added that RICHARD C. HOAGLAND’s “OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT” will be re-evaluated due to financial concerns but he “hope(s) to come to some resolution” for HOAGLAND to continue, but also warned that with BELL’s departure and the end of some of the network’s other shows for financial reasons, the stream will revert to a cheaper streaming solution “and may be dark for some periods of time to save costs.”

Dxer1969
    Participant

Clyde Lewis is back on KXL 101.1 doing his old 7pm to midnight gig again. Very sorry about Art and his family though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.