Are ADS morally justifiable?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    missing_kskd
    Participant

This is a thought provoking piece you might find interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2015/07/14/4273200.htm

I find myself thinking about Netflix and the controversy over potentially finding ads on the platform. I love Netflix, and the lack of ADS is why.

Heck, I would pay triple with no worries for that to continue.

The AD people see it as a vast untapped and rich field to exploit too. Paying people, loyal, with a lot of data on their preferences for them to work with.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It’s impossible to escape the ad man in today’s world. Paying for premium cable TV channels or Netflix (for the time being) just eliminates the commercial interruptions. The movies themselves often have embedded advertisements in the form of product placements. What frustrates me the most is seeing advertisements at movie theaters (I consider movie trailers to be advertisements).

This question made me wonder, how long has advertising been around–did the ancient world have advertising? The answer is YES. Archaeologists have discovered commercial and political messages on papyrus and painted on walls in parts of the Roman Empire, in Arabia, and in Asia, Africa, and South America. Ancient China likely had the world’s first commercial jingles, with melodies played on flutes being used to sell candy. See this Wikipedia page.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.