Anyone notice what happened on OPB Plus?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Anyone notice what happened on OPB Plus?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

fennekinisfire
    Participant

At around 4:50pm during PBS Newshour on OPB Plus, was that OPB showed a message saying “Please stand by: We are experiencing technical difficulties.” About 3 minutes later, they showed a different program for the remainder of the hour. They went back to regular programming after that at 5 o’clock. I know it sounds daft, but I have exactly no clue in honest of how this happened. Any thoughts?

boisebill
    Participant

It’s a digital world.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I have a VHS tape somewhere I recorded in about 1995, of the Bill Nye episode on computers dissolving into a bunch of colorful macroblocks about halfway through then staying on the nutrition episode for the remainder of the time slot.

23 years later I’m still trying to figure that one out. Two Betacam SP tapes running at the same time? Surely it wasn’t a file in a DVR-type device since I don’t believe the technlogy existed (or was in its early infancy) then. “Digital television” as we know it now barely existed. There was already DSS, MPEG-1 SCPC and hybrids like MAC, I think DVB might have existed by then but it was probably the latest thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.