Anybody have old KINK playlists?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Anybody have old KINK playlists?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mad_mod 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

EDIT: Post deleted because of free speech issues on pdxradio.com. Half the story is no story at all.

W7PAT
    Participant

I used to have a box of them dating back to #1. They got accidentally thrown out in a move.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The music of KINK before the Bullit sisters sold the station to Embarcadero Media led by Luis Nogales in August 1990 represents the very last time KINK was worth listening to, in spite of the fact that even then it lacked some music that would have made it even better.

On that topic I feel your pain.

You could hear that music again if I was again on the radio these days, but I’m not. You could hear that music if you were around the house here, but you’re not.

Alas, I am familiar with the mood if not the specific songs that you miss.

Waynes World
    Participant

I sure miss lights out especially the ocean sets. and their smooth jazz

shipwreck
    Participant

I have one or two from 1970, maybe more, it will take some digging.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Probably older than what you are looking for, but here are 10 KINK playlists from 1970.

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/surveys.php?vqry=kink&srt1=tsc_psv+DESC

Valerie ring
    Participant

I don’t have any playlists, but a vivid memory of playing Stevie Winwood’s Talking Back To The Night, as well as first LP’s of Rickie Lee Jones, the Police and the Go Go’s. That was new music between 1981 and 1984. We also played a lot of recurrents from Van Morrison, The Beatles, Steely Dan and The Who just to name a few. And yes, it was a great station back then.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My condolences (regarding your father).

I wish that I could help you with the airchecks, but unfortunately, I did not live in the area at the time. Incidentally, I read on this forum that in the early 1990s, 620 flipped to a simulcast of KINK. Was the simulcast in C-QUAM (that would have been cool)?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Simulcasts began July 26th, 1991 as per Craig’s “This day” series in the History section of this site. This was 11 months after the Bullit sisters sold KINK/KGW to Embarcadero (see my earlier post in this thread) and Embarcadero was, in essence, dismantling the KGW/KINK infrastructure. According to Luis Nogales with whom I met with in the early nineties re: MM Docket 90-418 105.9 Vancouver, he was interested only in accumulating a cluster of stations in Portland to sell to the bigs when the eventual Telecommunications Act of 1996 was finally passed into law. He had no interest in “running” KINK nor advancing it in any way. Keeping the format the same but gutting as many people as possible was his agenda. Eliminating KGW’s staff was probably his biggest money saver. The early 90’s was all about this kind of buy, hold and flip strategy and was pursued by many small and medium entrepreneurs and media venture capitalists.

QPatrickEdwards
    Participant

I quite enjoyed the all live, all local 620 KGW “Talk Station” format in its short run, before the vulture…er, I mean, venture capitalists killed it. I did have a C-QUAM stereo radio in my car at the time, but I don’t remember whether the KINK simulcast was in stereo or not.

semoochie
    Participant

This isn’t the way I remember it at all. Dorothy Bullit died and to everyone’s surprise, her daughters decided to sell the stations, focusing on their environmental concerns instead. KGW was in year two of a five year plan to make a success of “The Talk Station” and eating red ink right and left! To make it worth selling, they had to stop the bleeding and opted to simulcast KINK. It was still owned by King Broadcasting at the time.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“It was still owned by King Broadcasting at the time.”

Technically, that may be true but it is my understanding that dumping the KGW staff was a contingent part of the sale to Embarcadero so they wouldn’t have to come in and be the axemen. You can see that the Bullit sisters had already announced the sale of their empire and were already working with buyers 11 months before the sale closed as confirmed by the Seattle Times link which reported “has already held a few private conversations” with potential buyers. They would not disclose those contacts.” Connect the dots, Semoochie. You know the assignment of a license takes many months to get through the FCC.

Here’s the accurate timeline:

August 28, 1989 the station changed from a Top 40 music format to a talk format [1]
    August 1990 Bullit sisters announce the sale of their stations [2]
    July 1991 the talk programming was replaced by a simulcast of sister station KINK-FM [1]
    June 1992 KINK/KGW sale to Embarcadero closes.[3]

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPOJ#History

2 http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900821&slug=1088922

3 http://tinyurl.com/qzqswme

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t realize it was nearly a year later that they began the simulcast. I thought that KGW was just starting to make inroads in the ratings, when the sisters decided to sell. If that’s the case, I’m surprised they didn’t begin simulcasting in 1990, before the ratings started to show promise.

mad_mod
    Participant

This isn’t exactly what you’re looking for but I have some playlists from KINK’s 40th anniversary. I included a few extra years because these songs were likely still in heavy rotation at the time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.