Anthony Bourdain – RIP

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lastday 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Chef, food critic and world traveler Anthony Bourdain passed away yesterday. I had never really taken note of him until reading his obituary and watching an episode of his marvelous food/travel show called “Parts Unknown“.

The show has won numerous Emmy awards and is available on Netflix. Check out Season 8, Episode 1 where he dines and talks with former president Obama in a working class Hanoi noodle shop. Great men, great show. Recommended!

missing_kskd
    Participant

This is hard news. I really appreciated and got a lot from his travels and writings.

Often, he would sit at the tables of common peoples of the world to talk live, love, politics, food, culture.

That he shared so much of that with us is a rare, powerful gift. Chefs. Who knew?

May his latest journey yield better for him.

lastday
    Participant

I was only aware of him from Parts Unknown, which I really like. The show is loosely centered around exploring world cuisine, ranging from street food to fine dining. But food is usually a gateway to other discussion topics that affect all people of all cultures and social strata.

I had no idea Bourdain was such a prolific author. I’ve ordered several of his books from Amazon. Very much looking forward to reading them.

Superficially, it seemed like he had the world’s best “job”. And he always seemed very genuine, a somewhat rare quality among celebrities.

You just never know what internal demons someone is wrestling with, regardless of their outward fame and public persona.

RIP Anthony Bourdain. A one of a kind.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Feeling totally out of step with pop culture even from those from my boomer generation. I had never heard of Kate Spade or Anthony Bourdain until the news broke of their deaths.

But even still, their suicides are alarming to me. It just seems to me, some of the most creative, successful types, somehow, find living to be extra difficult – even when they have everything to live for. It’s baffling.

May their families find whatever comfort and peace they can during this hard, hard time.

lastday
    Participant

CNN is running a tribute to Bourdain tonight 6/10/18.

I love this story about Bourdain.

https://apnews.com/d5508a34fda64ca6b5b2b3b73d1c9814

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A North Dakota newspaper columnist who received online vitriol in 2012 for her glowing review of an Olive Garden in Grand Forks said Saturday she was grateful that Anthony Bourdain came to her defense as others ridiculed her prose about the town’s hottest new Italian restaurant.

Marilyn Hagerty catapulted to internet fame after her Olive Garden review, in which she marveled about the chain restaurant’s chicken Alfredo, crisp greens and “two long, warm breadsticks.” Then, she learned what it’s like to go viral.

Bourdain, who died Friday in France in an apparent suicide at age 61, was among those who stood up for her on Twitter. The celebrity chef and TV host asked to meet her for coffee while she was on a media tour in New York, and he ended up publishing a book of her columns, “Grand Forks: A History of American Dining in 128 Reviews.”

In the foreword, Bourdain wrote: “Anyone who comes away from this work anything less than charmed by Ms. Hagerty — and the places and characters she describes — has a heart of stone. This book kills snark dead.”

lastday
    Participant

I got two of the books today. Apparently Amazon can get these paperbacks printed practically on-demand: both books say they were printed on June 8th.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.