Another Bloodbath at Alpha-Portland

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Another Bloodbath at Alpha-Portland

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BrokenToy
    Participant

Looks like they’re following the playbook of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

semoochie
    Participant

Enlighten us.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Alpha Media: Portland Cutbacks

Everyone is tight-lipped so far, but ALL ACCESS has learned there has been significant downsizing at ALPHA MEDIA/PORTLAND, which has affected both sales and programming staffers throughout the six-station cluster. More information on who was affected and how to reach them as it becomes available.

The Craig Adams News Service has learned the entire morning show on “The Bull” was let go Tuesday. KINK interim PD Brad Dolbeer was let go on “International Workers Day” May 1st along with KINK Promotions Director.

In a related All Access Alpha story possibly explaining these moves…

Latest Alpha Purchase Brings Station Total to 99

PORTLAND, OR based ALPHA MEDIA has closed on its purchase of radio properties from COAST RADIO COMPANY and FREE LANCE-STAR RADIO, a seven-station acquisition that includes Country WFLS/FREDERICKSBURG, VA.

This bolsters the company’s total radio portfolio to 99 stations. “We are very fortunate to be able to work with such great employees at all of the stations,” said ALPHA Chairman LARRY WILSON. “Each cluster is exceptional and brings its own unique attributes to the company, allowing us to build a diverse and dynamic culture.”

fieldstrength
    Participant

From my observation, it also appears that KINK morning host Dan Merchant and KUPL evening host Sparx are both out.

semoochie
    Participant

This seems to explain the recent morning Seattle import on KBFF.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Dan Merchant, yes he’s gone. Thought he was part of The Bull line-up. Shows how I’m paying attention these days with the constant hirings and firings.

RobP
    Participant

Any news (no pun intended) on cuts at KXL?

radiodork
    Spectator

Who in the heck would want to be in Radio Today?? Seriously. Look at the Bull-shit (no pun intended) that air talents have to put up with. It is obvious that the DJ is no longer a necessity in radio. Gone are the days of listening to a radio station with a really cool or Interesting air talent that you really enjoy. Back when I was growing up (late 80’s early 90’s) The djs were just as important as the music. The radio station made the dj just as important as the music. Why did that stop??? Turned on z100 the other day and it was Ryan Seacrest and his awful sidekick Elen K- Talk about bland and boring personalities. Ryan Seacrest is the generic vanilla personality or I should say no personality, so painful to listen to. How did Z100 become such a dump??? Its all voice-tracked and I don’t even think there is a live personality on that station? What a mess and an extremely sad state of radio. RIP RADIO! We miss you.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t know what your problem is with Ellen K. She was Rick Dees’ sidekick for years in market #2. She’s earned her keep.

darth talon
    Participant

It’s reading topics like this that makes me glad that I left the wonderful world of radio when I did. Working in radio was fun and great.

But now I sale beer and wine. I don’t have to look over my back to see if the station manager is about to ax me. Or seeing the ratings book and seeing the numbers. And you wonder when the station is going to be flipped.

To tell you the truth. I haven’t listened to a Portland radio station in years. Portland radio is nothing but a swamp. Nothing new comes in. Nothing old never leaves.

RobP
    Participant

>> Back when I was growing up (late 80’s early 90’s) The djs were just as important as the music. The radio station made the dj just as important as the music. Why did that stop??? <<

Telecom ’96, which resulted in stations sold for much more than they’re worth along with (at the same time) Wall Street moving into broadcasting. ROI is the name of the game, baby.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Brad Dolbeer, Dan Merchant Exit KINK

ALPHA MEDIA Triple A KINK/PORTLAND, OR has parted ways with PD/night jock BRAD DOLBEER and morning show co-host DAN MERCHANT.

A source told ALL ACCESS that MERCHANT was moving on to working full-time on a movie set as a director in SPOKANE.

Dir/Programming SCOTT MAHALICK will handle programming in the interim, Look for JARED AMAN to be named MD soon.

DOLBEER is currently weighing options. He can be reached at BradDolbeer@gmail.com.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Additionally:

Matt Sparx Exits The Bull/Portland Nights

As ALL ACCESS first told you on FRIDAY (NET NEWS 5/1), ALPHA MEDIA/PORTLAND underwent some downsizing last week, which has impacted the programming department at Country KUPL (98.7 THE BULL), as evening personality MATT SPARX has exited. He joined THE BULL last year from COX RADIO Top 40/Mainstream WAPE/JACKSONVILLE (NET NEWS 4/4/2014).

ALL ACCESS hears – but has not confirmed – that some sales positions in the cluster were also eliminated. More information as it becomes available.

paulwalker
    Participant

Ha! Sales positions are never eliminated, just swapped out!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.