Amazon Fire TV Stick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

If anybody cares, I bought a Fire TV Stick after my daughter visited and noticed we use rabbit ears, and suggested I get a smart TV to stream with. I discovered a Fire TV stick was a cheap alternative ($40) to a new TV. It plugs into the HDMI port of my dumb TV and has a cord to a USB power supply.

The remote is clean and simple, but the menus on screen are a jumble. So far I have watched a couple reruns on Tubi and Prime Video.

To keep this somewhat on topic for the Portland Radio thread, I was surprised to notice Tubi has local commercials.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Commercial streaming services have access to IP addresses, so they know what area you live in. That way they can tailor the ads for each market. I use both Fire TV sticks, Cube, and the Roku’s. Between the streaming devices, I no longer need my big dish, which I am finally getting rid of. Add in OTA, & Dish I have access to about anything I might want.

semoochie
    Participant

I’ve used Firesticks for years but am currently down to only one. I don’t need it with the smart TV.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

While I get all the local channels well on the living room TV, whose amplified antenna is five feet off the ground, I despaired of getting always clear channels (particularly OPB) on the bedrooom TV. So I signed up for Locast to stream the local channels, and am trying it out.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I followed a youtube blogger on how to shut off the sleep timer of the Fire TV Stick using a free utility called AdbLink. Now when I turn the TV on it’s right where I left it.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I discovered Locast has a phone app, now I can watch local TV on my phone! Woo-hoo!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I also picked up Locast for $5 a month. Who knows how long it will be around, but I hope for quite a while. Out here on the Oregon Coast we do not get all of the Portland TV stations. Locast doesn’t have all of them either, but several more than we get OTA.

Andrew
    Participant

I had a Fire Stick for a while, but I really didn’t care for it. I bought a Google Chromecast instead and much prefer it – I bought a second one for my other TV. I like the idea of not having a remote other than my phone, and I have a spare Android that I use as a second remote for the other TV. I like that I can cast from my laptop too not just my phone.

I have rabbit ears also, but there are so many apps with free TV and movie content e.g. Pluto and Plex that I have plenty to watch. I also have a Plex server at home with my media library on it, and I can cast my content to my TVs with Chromecast. I’m guessing Amazon has an app for Plex casting also, but the Google solution has worked really well for me.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought Locast was free!

DarkStar
    Participant

Locast requests a $5 per month donation. The donation removes the requests for the $5 donation, so take that any way you want.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The only way to watch Locast without ads every 15-20 minutes is to sub for $5 a month. It is a great service. I agree, with so many free apps on the Roku’s & Firesticks, there is more out there to watch that I can’t even get to. I often go through all of the new Roku apps, and I get over-whelmed. Many of the diginets are now streaming like Buzzr, Circle, Comet, etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.