AM Radio

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Dxer1969
    Participant

No Talent, You are correct. KEX never sounded so bad. At home here in Camas, the daytime signal has a hum. The nighttime signal is weak and fades in and out.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am really noticing the artifacts on 620, and it sounds as if some clipping is going on. 1190 has some artifacts, but they are not as noticeable.

1190 is broadcasting the full 10 kHz audio bandwidth. I have my Rycom selective level meter tuned to 1199.8 kHz (to dodge the adjacent carrier), with the bandwidth set to 50 Hz. A local commercial with a female announcer recently played. The level meter needle was hopping around like my avatar during the sibilants. When the top of the hour network news plays or phone calls are on, the level meter detects very little sideband energy.

620 is also broadcasting the full 10 kHz audio bandwidth, per the level meter.

My least favorite STLs in this market are the ones used on 1040 and 95.9. The 1040 STL sometimes stutters. The 95.9 STL has artifacts that sound like a low-bitrate MP3.

Dxer1969
    Participant

1040? It blows most of the time! Sorry, Alfredo.But in my opinion, it blows.

missing_kskd
    Participant

It is crappy!

Running a full 10Khz is nice though. When the audio quality improves, some people may notice the improved bandwidth.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“The death of AM will be hastened with audio like this.”

The big companies just own too many stations and are under-engineered when it comes to performance and q.o.s.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recently checked 1040 kHz, and I heard an unmodulated carrier. The STL suck and blow quotients are really high right now.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There is still just a carrier on 1040 kHz. Buehler? Buehler?

jr_tech
    Participant

Odd… yesterday I heard some “digital sounding” beeps and burps, extending nearly 5 kHz on either side of the unmodulated carrier, today it is dead quiet (about 20 over s-9 strength).

Borderblaster
    Participant

crisis in localism-land

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Programming on 1040 KXPD has resumed, as of this evening. I had started to worry that G&E Studios (the provider of KXPD’s programming) might have been ordered to shut down, pending the government’s investigation of the sophisticated business scheme that is being used to bring China Radio International programming to US based radio stations.

Chico
    Participant

I don’t know if this is the right place to report this, but at least north of Seattle right now we are getting some GREAT upper AM prop. On my stock VW radio I have been listening pretty clearly to 1670 KNRO Redding, 1690 KFSG Roseville CA, 1650 KFOX Torrance CA, 1560 KNZR Bakersfield, and your local on 1640. And- the best for last, 1700 KVNS Brownsville TX! (And on that one I heard the legal ID)

Almost NOTHING from Canada, which usually dominates in my neck of the woods. Also heard one of my old stations, 1420 KUJ Walla Walla, but knowing that joint they forgot to switch to night power again……

Anyway, your results may vary, but wanted to let you all know. This could be very local and short term- we are getting some freezing rain with an inversion and a warm front coming in, so maybe????

paulwalker
    Participant

Chico…interesting. I don’t have an explanation, but I can confirm back in the 70’s and 80’s it was definitely a free-for-all as to what you could pick up. I’m not sure what your exact location is but I’m guessing somewhere between Seattle and Vancouver.

In the 70’s, growing up in N. Seattle, I had some very predictable DX grabs…mostly KGO, (but who didn’t?) but beyond that obvious one was KFI Los Angeles (640), KGW (620), KFRC (610), KNBR (680), CFUN (1410), and on occasion CKLG (730) and KPNW Eugene. Less common, KBOI and KFXD in Boise, and once caught both WWL New Orleans and WLS Chicago but both lasted just a few minutes. Always have wondered what would cause that brief grab.

Chico
    Participant

Well, Paul, whatever it was it is gone now. That was quick! Fun while it lasted.

I was driving NE of Seattle, out in the sticks. Between the major metropolises of Carnation and Duvall. Actually, right by where Pamplin has a CP for 740 AM that will never be built.

We now have a local 810 (whenyou were up here it was on 800) that chews up KGO. But KNBR is very clear most nights. I live quite close to the night towers for 630AM so KGW and KFI are pretty hopeless. 1410 and especially 730 Vancouver come in fine both day and night. KPNW often at night, and 750 Portland as well.

paulwalker
    Participant

Love your information! I can still hear KGO here in the Tri-Cities, but not much else. The AM band has been cluttered up by something, but I am not sure what.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am very clearly hearing an ESPN Sports station on 1700, but I have not heard the call letters. There is at least one weaker station playing under it.

EDIT ADD: I am hearing two sports stations on 1700. This is tricky. (There is an AM DX thread for this discussion.)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.