AM 860 The Answer

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

W7PAT
    Participant

AM 860 The Answer…at least according to their Facebook page.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Be still my beating heart!! The Answer for many years has been an R&B gospel show at the university radio station in which I volunteered in the 1990s. In this case, however, only the monicker is changing, not the format.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought that sounded familiar! That’s KDZR 1640. I wonder what they will be called now.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The KPAM morning newscast now ends at 9:00 AM, rather than 10. Their program director was being interviewed this morning. He did not mention The Clark Howard Show, making me wonder whether it will still be heard on KPAM.

cbaravelli
    Participant

Salem Media Group / Salem Radio Network. Conservative and Christian talk. Sort’a like Sinclair but in radio.

semoochie
    Participant

Answering(no pun intended)my own question, 1640 is now “The Patriot”.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am liking the monickers!

• True Talk 800
    • 860 The Answer
    • Freedom 970
    • 1330 The Truth
    • 1640 The Patriot

Broadway
    Participant

Truth and Freedom with the Answers…America!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I just realized that the current web page for 860 is http://www.theanswerportland.com The old KPAM site is not being updated. The Clark Howard Show is no longer on KPAM’s program schedule.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Here’s what North America is reading from All Access:

KPAM/Portland Rebrands As ‘The Answer,’ KDZR Gets ‘Patriot’-ic

SALEM has rebranded News-Talk KPAM-A (NEWS TALK 860)/PORTLAND, which it is operating under an LMA, as “AM 860 THE ANSWER.” The change is accompanied by the replacement of WESTWOOD ONE’s CLARK HOWARD with COURTSIDE’s LAURA INGRAHAM in the noon-3p, the renaming of MICHAEL HERRINGTON and ERIC PETERSON’s local “AFTERNOON NORTHWEST” as “THE AFTERNOON ANSWER,” and an additional hour for SALEM’s DENNIS PRAGER, who now starts an hour earlier on the station at 9a (PT).

Also in for a rebrand is sister News-Talk KDZR-A, which is now “AM 1640 THE PATRIOT,” retaining its primarily SALEM-syndicated lineup. And sister Adult Standards KKOV-A (SUNNY 1550) is now airing Vietnamese programming as part of the LMA deal arranged by SALEM with TRON DINH DO’s INTELLI, LLC, which filed to purchase KPAM and KKOV from PAMPLIN last OCTOBER for $1.2 million; SALEM took over operation of KPAM and KKOV in JANUARY and the FCC granted the sale application in JANUARY, but the sale has yet to close.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

TRON DINH DO’s INTELLI, LLC has closed on the purchase of News-Talk KPAM-A (AM 860 THE ANSWER)/TROUTDALE-PORTLAND, OR and Vietnamese KKOV-A/VANCOUVER, WA-PORTLAND from PAMPLIN BROADCASTING- WASHINGTON, INC. for $1.2 million. KPAM is operated by SALEM MEDIA GROUP under an LMA.

DanOregon
    Participant

Curious about LMAs. Is it the “manager” who typically fronts the cash for the sale or does the “lessee” buy the station and then look for the best deal to generate revenue from the property?
    Studying some of the LMAs in TV, there always seem to be some “respected broadcaster” with a connection to the “lessee” who “owns” the station that is being LMA’d with a Sinclair or a Gannett.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  DanOregon.

semoochie
    Participant

Here’s something new: Salem is swapping Seattle’s silent KKOL/1300 for Portland, Oregon-market KPAM/860 – a development that hadn’t been previously announced. In the very thorough “pending transaction” section of the Salem quarterly release, we learn that it signed an “exchange agreement” on April 26. Last we heard, Salem informed the FCC that KKOL had lost its transmitter site at the port of Tacoma and intended to co-locate with sister talk “1590 the Answer” KLFE and Spanish Christian “Radio Luz 1680” KNTS (March 13 NOW). But down in Portland, Salem has recently been LMAing KPAM Troutdale, Oregon and KKOV Vancouver, Washington/1550, which were sold by Pamplin Broadcasting to Tron Dinh Do’s Intelli LLC. Salem didn’t didn’t renew its LMA for KKOV. But it did re-do its LMA for KPAM – and now it’s going to own it, as a swap for Seattle’s KKOL. The Seattle station was licensed for 50,000 watts daytime/47,000 watts at its old Tacoma location. (It has a construction permit for 50,000 watts day/3,200 watts at night.) KPAM is licensed for 50,000 watts days/15,000 watts nighttime.

semoochie
    Participant

Any thoughts as to whether or not Salem might move KPAM into Oregon, say east of town?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  semoochie.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  semoochie.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Looking at KPAM’s weird nighttime directional pattern, I see a slight dilemma. If the transmitter site were moved far enough south to improve reception in Salem, a null would be thrown over Vancouver. I also wonder, at what point would spacing to KWIP become an issue?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.