AM 1360 KUIK now broadcasting xray

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio AM 1360 KUIK now broadcasting xray

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 45 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 4 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

“and perhaps petitioning for a change of status later?”

Conjecture until that happens.

“Perhaps XRAY doesn’t know how to handle the rules for ASCAP/BMI for a commercial station?”

XRAY is not the new licensee. Flying Ant, LLC. is the new licensee. XRAY (CEBS) is run by a lawyer, so I doubt there is any confusion over BMI/ASCAP/SESAC rules. Besides, unless I’m mistaken, the only difference between royalties rules between comm and non comm is the rate that the station is charged, not what you can and can not do. The FCC got out of the riding shotgun over programming position years ago. If you want monkeys banging on pie tins, you can air exactly that.

“if an underwriting statement from a non com plays by accident on a commercial station … is that a violation all by itself?

When Janet Jackson’s boob pops out on national TV, that is an “accident” that might (and did) reach violation status. Generally speaking, accidental airings of possibly misguided information does not rise to that level. If that were the case, we wouldn’t have to put up with FAUX news lying everyday.

“could the underwriting playing by accident also be a mess to deal with?”

No. It’s free advertising. The reverse might be a problem, that is a non-comm playing a spot created for a commercial station.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When I first heard the tones, I considered the possibility that I might have been hearing some kind of avant-garde noise music. I cannot think of any good reason why they would change from the programming they had before, which might intrigue people who stumbled on it accidentally, to what is on now, which would quickly drive away anybody that found the station. I have not heard any IDs, though when programming was on 1360, the IDs were about 5-10 minutes before the top of the hour, rather than on the hour. I suspect that either the Flying Ant people are not monitoring the broadcast on 1360, or they are unable to correct the problem by themselves (for example, if the programming is being supplied by a computer at the KUIK transmitter site, and they can’t reboot the computer because they are locked out from the transmitter building).

According to a query that I just performed on the FCC’s Web site, KUIK is still operating as a commercial station. They are not breaking any laws by giving away free plugs to businesses that sponsored XRay. They are also not breaking the law by saying XRay or XRay FM on the air. However, giving out the wrong call letters is illegal, even if not in the official top-of-the-hour ID.

EDIT: I saw Andy’s response immediately after I hit the POST button.

The FCC has nothing to do with music royalties on the radio. Those are handled by BMI. The fee structure, in my understanding, is based on the following:

Commercial stations — market size
    NPR member stations — negotiated by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
    School/university stations — number of students enrolled

I don’t know how independent non-commercial stations would be billed.

radiogeek
    Participant

Always learning something. I’d hate to see the license pulled from a non profit.

Perhaps something coherent will emerge.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

So “97 point one, K I S N” was illegal to say anytime during the hour on KKSN-FM?

radiogeek
    Participant

You’re confusing branding with a legal station id. The only one that matters at all in this conversation is the legal id. The airchecks being played without being edited might have a legal id from the wrong station embedded.

You can say this is XRAY, this is ANT, this is 91.1, this is fun radio Portland, this is my belly button, but say KXRY Portland and it’s now a legal station ID.

Or so I remember.

chessyduck
    Participant

KUIK still puts out a good signal into the Newport Kiwi WebSDR receiver at http://kiwisdr.smeter.net:8073/ . The looped “performance audio” tends to get boring after awhile. Washington County still needs local radio…

streamingmedia
    Participant

It exists online broadcasting high school sports at Mixlr.com/westsidemobilemedia

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am starting to experience a bit of listener fatigue because I believe that I have heard most of the shows on KUIK’s rotation. A number of the programs are quite interesting, but I wish that they would add some new episodes.

Borderblaster
    Participant

KRLC and KTIK chewing into that local piece of shit this morning

streamingmedia
    Participant

What local piece of shit?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am in downtown Hillsboro, which is in KUIK’s main lobe. The nighttime signal here is a monster, even stronger than the daytime signal. What boggles my mind is that nighttime reception in Beaverton is good, even though that community is in the minor lobe of the pattern. In fact, once I was at the Washington Square Mall with two friends, one of whom insisted that we had to visit the Tesla showroom. Out of curiosity and to be a smart aleck, I decided to get into one of the cars and hunt around the AM band. To my surprise, I could not receive KPDQ, but I could receive KUIK.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Minor lobes are smaller in area coverage then major lobes but not necessarily any weaker than the ND signal at that distance. Visualize ND, then grab the circumference at some point and drag it to the center (antenna site). It creates a null. That energy from the null is generally transferred to the opposite side (major lobe). It’s subtle. Grab a balloon and squeeze it in the center. The balloon is removed from your choke off point, and then that air is distributed around the rest of the balloon. The balloon doesn’t get all that much “bigger” since the small amount being “choked” off is distributed over a much larger area. Sometimes barely noticeable when you look at the balloon’s “lobes.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This morning, in the 11:00 hour, I heard 1360 simulcasting 107.1. The program was a call-in talk show that I believe was syndicated, due to the large number of out-of-town callers. However, later on in the day, 1360 was broadcasting public domain recordings, while 107.1 was running a local program about sports.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Within the last week, I heard an underwriting announcement specific to KUIK, as well as a financial advice show that I believe was not a rerun.

saveit
    Participant

Look at this way. They are broadcasting Thom Hartmann’s show, as a X-Ray feed. Otherwise KUIK is on their one.

Good news is Jayne Carroll is long gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.