AM 1360 KUIK now broadcasting xray

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio AM 1360 KUIK now broadcasting xray

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 41 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

streamingmedia
    Participant

Andy, any word if this will include local programming including sports?

streamingmedia
    Participant

Andy, any word on whether or not it will include local programming and sports?

Andy Brown
    Participant

No clue.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This morning, I heard a “Kick Ass Oregon History” podcast on 1360. This was not an XRay show. The previous two mornings I heard interview programs that were produced by XRay.

jr_tech
    Participant

Dead air for a couple of days now… what a waste of energy.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I haven’t tuned in today. Yesterday afternoon, I heard the end of a documentary on how the Eisenhower campaign hired advertising agencies to help them develop catchy slogans and jingles. The Adlai Stevenson campaign did not want to be reduced to soundbites and, instead, purchased 30 minute blocks of television airtime to deliver political speeches. According to the documentary, “nobody watched.”

radiogeek
    Participant

I got a chance to tune 1360 in today, starting in Beaverton in the am going up to Hillsdale then over the top to the east side, then back again in the eve.

I was surprised that it stayed tuned in on my car radio the whole way and back.

Yep, it’s XRAY programming. What amused (annoyed) me was hearing only one station ID for 1360 that I think left out the city of license … and then hearing the same programming (same episodes) on the drive in the pm as I heard in the am.

XRAY is doing the same thing that annoyed the hell out of me a few years ago. They put overworked interns they got from somewhere who had no idea how to do radio, and told them to fill airtime. Without having a clue how to program automation, they take air checks from their own website, and tell the automation to replay the airchecks rather than go to the source files and assemble automation that is correct and then splice it together with some filler.

So … this afternoon I heard complete air checks including full station ID’s for 91.1 and 107.1 … being played on AM 1360. The guests on a live show were talking about initiatives and current events that were no longer correct, and embedded in the air checks I also heard underwriting carts that must be two years old for XRAY.

Stuff like this is why I’ll never do community radio again.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  radiogeek.

stevewa
    Participant

Hopefully the interns know how to switch the pattern on and off at sunrise/sunset. I couldn’t tell you how to do it here but I bet if I was in the control room muscle memory would kick in!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  stevewa.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

From my listening while east of Beaverton, it appears that the pattern does correctly switch at dusk. I would expect that this is handled automatically.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Either the STL has failed or the computer playing out the programming has crashed. Yesterday evening, everything was normal. This morning, I tuned in to hear tones at multiple frequencies playing continuously. The sound could be best described as somebody holding down multiple keys on a pipe organ.

jr_tech
    Participant

Nothing on the STL frequency that KUIK used for years. Im guessing computer crash.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

If KUIK is using an STL, I think that they are now using something provided by the telephone company (like a T1). I remember years ago that KPAM suffered a similar outage that caused them to air a continuous droning sound.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A few hours ago, just for fun, I looked at KUIK’s audio on an oscilloscope. It looks like several non-harmonically related sine waves.

radiogeek
    Participant

Anyone hear a station ID since the tones replaced the programming?

The tones remind me of the stuff KXRY put on the air as a placeholder before the STL and live programming was ready to go. By now if this wasn’t intentional it would be off the air.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  radiogeek.

radiogeek
    Participant

And another question …

If I was putting something on air to keep the station legal I’d rather put on a music rotation (not hard to do), or something other than noise. But this thread starts out talking about 1360 not being noncom right now, and perhaps petitioning for a change of status later? Perhaps XRAY doesn’t know how to handle the rules for ASCAP/BMI for a commercial station?

And if an underwriting statement from a non com plays by accident on a commercial station … is that a violation all by itself? I’d have to imagine that last week’s playing of air checks with wrong station ID might have been a no no … but could the underwriting playing by accident also be a mess to deal with?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.