AM 1360 KUIK now broadcasting xray

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio AM 1360 KUIK now broadcasting xray

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 41 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

DimensionZ
    Participant

This has been rumored but what I find so interesting is that they weren’t simulcasting. About a half an hour ago they were running “Abbott and Costello” I think this is great but other than expanding their daytime footprint I wonder why they did this . Can anyone enlighten me?

Chico
    Participant

I know that 1360 has a translator CP at 99.1. Might this not be a way for them to expand their FM footprint westward as well?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Does Xray or Kuik stream?

Chico
    Participant

They are.

https://xray.fm/

Hit the play button. Biggest one I have ever seen.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

They fooled me! I did not expect them to turn 1360 back on during the weekend.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

As somebody who lives in Hillsboro, I suspect that the motivation behind the acquisition of 1360 was to deal with reception issues that the 107.1 translator experiences on the Westside. There is some kind of RF shadow on 107.1 that runs straight through downtown Beaverton and toward Hillsboro. Driving toward Hillsboro on TV Highway, reception of 107.1 is multipath-laden and KLVU often pops in.

Having the AM license gives them a few options. 107.1 could become an “AM Revitalization” translator, it would no longer have to receive its program feed from an over-the-air source, and it could be moved to a different location. Or, the 99.1 translator could be built, possibly making the 107.1 reception issues moot. All of this having been said, I do not know what XRay’s priorities are regarding the geographic areas that it wants to cover with an over-the-air signal.

Another issue that I am wondering about is, can an LPFM buy a full-powered station and simulcast its programming there? If not, which of the following could they legally do?

• Have a separate non-profit hold the license to KUIK and act as live content providers for the 1360 signal
    • Have official ties to KUIK but only provide time-shifted content so that KUIK can’t be considered a simulcast
    • Turn in the class-D license for 91.1 and make 107.1 a translator for 1360, possibly adding 99.1 later on

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Isn’t 91.1 a grandfathered Class D, not an LPFM? They can probably do whatever they want.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I messed up. KXRY is a class-D.

jr_tech
    Participant

So is this “regular programming” or just a bunch of random stuff aired now to keep the license alive?
    Apparently they are not using the studio at the airport, or at least they are not using the stl which was on about 950.49 mhz.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In my recollection, when 96.7 went on the air as KZRY-LP some years ago, they also had what sounded like an MP3 player on shuffle. I tuned in last night, and I heard old time radio shows interspersed with some XRay programs, the Quantum Leap theme, “Thank You For Being a Friend,” and some unlistenable avant-garde ambient noise music. The characteristic hiss from KUIK’s UHF STL was not there, leading me to think that the program source is a computer at the transmitter site.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Biggest one I have ever seen.

I’ve seen bigger. http://icecast-beta.timlradio.co.uk/absoluteradio60s.ogg

I’ve tried XRY and it’s a snoozefest, like the radio equivalent of plain Top Ramen with a glass of skim milk. It runs circles around KBOO, which isn’t saying much (and isn’t that hard to do, really).

Alfredo_T
    Participant

XRay once had this disco around the world (I can’t remember the exact title) show on Friday evenings. They featured mostly Bollywood disco and some African disco. I really liked that show, but unfortunately, it was short-lived.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I noted yesterday that when the stunt programming loop (for the lack of a better term) on 1360 goes to dead air, I can hear the live audio from 91.1/107.1 playing in the background.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It appears the plan for 1360 is news/talk programming, not Xray simulcasting. That would mean the associated translator would also be rebroadcasting the news/talk programming. This info is not official, but from a reliable source.

Still unknown is whether the new licensee will petition for non profit status or not, and whether or not Jefferson Smith is really on both BODs (which would be a violation of rules).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.