AM 1040 KXPD, All Chinese?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Clinton
    Participant

Well, I noticed that as of yesterday, January 1st), the programming on KXPD has been all in the chinese language. Not sure if this is a permanent format change, but I’m thinking it might be, since they’re using a new recording of the ID at the top of the hour, which is about all the English being heard on 1040 at this time. In this case, I think we can safely assume that the change of the ID probably means something in this case, because the previous ID recording has been played for at least the last 5 years with absolutely no change.

Of course, I can’t comment much more on the content of the format, since I’m afraid those 5 minute Chinese lessons they used to air didn’t quite give me much of a foundation in the Chinese language to know what they might be talking about, but I imagine the programming we’re hearing is coming from CRI’s Chinese service.

Speaking of the legal ID, I noticed that the new ID being played only says, “1040, KXPD, Portland”, with no mention of Tigard. Assuming that the city of license for this station is still Tigard, couldn’t they run into some kind of trouble for this omission?

e_dawg
    Participant

他們沒有用英文,他們用國語。

e_dawg
    Participant

你愛聽中文收音幾。 他們說中國新聞。

semoochie
    Participant

I thought they were already Chinese or is that 1010?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

1010 is Russian!

semoochie
    Participant

That’s what I thought. What was 1040 before, if not Chinese?

jr_tech
    Participant

It was Chinese originated programming, but in English.

old thread here: http://feedback.pdxradio.com/forums/topic/reuters-investigates-chinese-propaganda-on-american-radio/

e_dawg
    Participant

Kind of weird to have a Chinese program in Portland. Portland Chinese community is very small compare to other cities like San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Honolulu, Chicago, and Los Angeles. There are more Vietnamese speakers than Chinese speakers in Portland. Portland doesn’t have a Chinese channel on Comcast. Also, most of the Chinese Origin in Portland Oregon are Cantonese speakers, they tend to live in SE Portland along the 82nd ace strip between hogate and Division street, Also, Portland doesn’t have a lot mandarin speaking population. Most of the mandarin speakers live in Beaverton, Tigard, lake Oswego which are Taiwanese decendents, this radio station targets mainland Chinese people which Portland doesn’t have that much. Portland Chinese population according to the 2010 US census is 9,100. I don’t know if this radio station can support in Portland since the mandarin community is very small.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When 1040 changed its callsign to KXPD, it was Regional Mexican “La X.” Prior to that it was Contemporary Christian “K-Love.” Unfortunately, I don’t speak Mandarin, so 1040 is now as useful to me as 1010, 1130, 1520, and the various Russian LPFMs. I wonder what made G&E Studios decide on this format flip.

spud
    Participant

I wonder what made G&E Studios decide on this format flip.

The answer is – money! Easy money! Most likely an LMA contract with a Chinese group / organization.

spud
    Participant

When you want to hear an “exotic” station you listen to shortwave. Soon you won’t have to. AM/LPFM will be the place to go

Alfredo_T
    Participant

G&E Studio has not updated the Web page for KXPD. It still states that KXPD programming is in English: http://gestudio.us/index.php/en/portland

The programming on the stream is Chinese language.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.