Alpha Media 4th Largest Broadcast Company In U.S.

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Alpha Media 4th Largest Broadcast Company In U.S.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Alpha Media Now Fourth Largest Broadcast Company After Digity Acquisition

PORTLAND, OR-based ALPHA MEDIA has become the fourth largest broadcasting company in the U.S. upon its acquisition of 116 DIGITY stations this week (NET NEWS 8/5). While fourth in station count, ALPHA MEDIA is third in terms of number of markets.

When all pending deals are completed, it will bring the total number of stations owned by ALPHA MEDIA to 251 in 54 markets across the U.S., covering all formats including Top 40, Adult Contemporary, Spanish, Urban, News Talk, Sports, Rock, Country and more. In addition to the radio stations, ALPHA MEDIA owns the intimate performance venues, SKYPE LIVE STUDIO in PORTLAND and ALAMO LOUNGE in SAN ANTONIO.
    Commenting on the acquisition, ALPHA MEDIA Chairman LARRY WILSON said: “We are extremely pleased to acquire from exceptional operators and management who truly understand radio. DEAN [GOODMAN] and his team have done a tremendous job with these stations. They will be a great addition to our live and local vision across the country.”

DIGITY COMPANIES CEO GOODMAN added: “LARRY WILSON and I have a shared vision for the radio renaissance in progress now. Radio is live, local media enhanced by digital delivery and community focused events. Our success is the result of an employee environment of collaboration, transparency and innovation. I am honored to have worked with the great broadcasters at DIGITY and the dynamic growth they’ve created. DIGITY and ALPHA are a perfect match.”

Andy Brown
    Participant

I distinctly recall writing on this forum when Alpha first came to PDX that they were just Clear Channel wannabes. It appears that I was right all along and the new numbers confirm it.

The assimilation of the public’s bandwidth by a small number of very large corporations has destroyed broadcasting as a public service industry, a career path, a local and regional resource for local and state public information and a source of current events and reliable disaster notification. It’s just a big ad agency run by out of area managers programming a bunch of computers. What a shame.

http://blog.specshoward.edu/blog/bid/247370/Careers-in-Radio-Broadcasting-are-DEAD

The pulse of radio is weak and fading. If it wasn’t for some of the NCE stations, it would be flat lined. What we’ve got out there today appears to be radio, after all it uses the same technology as radio did, but it isn’t the same industry.

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/clear_channel_backlash/

big89
    Participant

I agree with Andy on Alpha Media. They are just an upcoming version of Clear Channel. From what I have observed, the creative, entertaining version of radio has left the building. They are doing nothing to attract the millennials. So, the future of radio really depends on whether they can maintain a sizeable listenership to generate revenues. At this point I would say broadcast radio is not a viable product. When top 40 hit the air waves, it was new, different. When Bill Drake introduced Boss Radio, it was different. If you look at the desired demos for advertisers, things like the Daily Show is what attracts an audience. If you had a Jon Stewart doing a radio show, you could probably develop a decent audience. The only way radio can survive is to become entertaining, once again. So, we’ll just have to wait and see if there is some talent oriented broadcast group willing to take a chance, spend some money on talent , and go for it balls out. Here’s hoping someone will.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.