Alice's Restaurant?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  W7PAT 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Slythe
    Participant

Where and when will “Alice’s Restaurant” be playing today?

Scott Young
    Participant

KISN 95.1 will play it at noon today. If you can’t hear KISN where you are, you can listen any time you want at…

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

KINK used to always play it at noon and 6pm. I don’t think Portland Radio Project is playing it this year. Besides KISN, here’s a list of other radio stations, across the country that are playing it, http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2016/11/22/tuning-in-to-alices-restaurant-on-the-radio-on-thanksgiving-2016/

Edit.
    PRP.fm (99.1 FM) plays the edited 3 minute version of ‘Alice’s resturant’ @ 10 am this morning 🙂

Kusaradio plays Alice and other thankfull toons at 2 pm this afternoon.

fieldstrength
    Participant

KINK will indeed be airing the full version at noon and 6PM today, according to announcements on their Facebook page.

semoochie
    Participant

Is KGON still playing it?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Funny how a draft protest song considered highly controversial when it was released and totally shunned by main stream radio due to its content as well as its length is now considered nostalgia. The three minute edit only came about as a way to claim a station played it but frankly it is in no way comparable to the real deal. In fact the edit is neither an accurate representation of Arlo’s message nor does it embrace the music that delivers the story. Shame on PRP. Also I don’t believe that anyone that hasn’t been subjected to the draft really gets it.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

There’s a long version?

Heh. Andy, I guess the irony of my earlier post didn’t come thru. Of course, PRP played the 18 minute long version! I don’t think there was even an AM radio edit made of Alice’s restaurant. At least I hope not.

It’s like how foolish the short versions of the Doors “Light My Fire” (2:52 vs. 7:08), or Iron Butterfly’s “In-a-gadda-da-vida” (2:52 vs. 17:52) sound. You can’t fuss with the classics.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Two years after the album came out, Alice’s Restaurant was released as “Alice’s Rock & Roll Restaurant,” a single—a much shorter (4:43) tune that incorporated the chorus, removed the entire monologue, used a significantly different arrangement, and added extra verses (all of which do little but advertise the restaurant in contrast to the original intent of protesting the draft and the war in Vietnam. It peaked at #97 on the Billboard singles chart. The full length song with all its protest heavy dialogue was already an underground anthem and progressive radio stations played it every year whereas the single became mostly forgotten except to older Top 40 programmers needing to respond to listener’s wishes. The original full length song has been re-released several times with updated lyrics.

The single is available on youtube if you want to hear it.

W7PAT
    Participant

It’s a yearly tradition at my house, kind of kicks off the season for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.