Alabama: First in college football, last in everything else

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Alabama: First in college football, last in everything else

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

The Supreme Court of Alabama ordered all the state’s probate judges late Tuesday to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the latest salvo in a growing legal battle in Alabama over whether the decisions of federal justices trump those made by state judges.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-supreme-court-orders-judges-stop-gay-marriages-n316861

Alabama, does it get any worse? You suck as a state for so many reasons.

Brianl
    Participant

Alabama is being so defiant against the federal court mandate that the state start issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples, that an Alabama county has stopped issuing marriage licenses to ALL couples, gay or straight:

http://news.yahoo.com/alabama-probate-judges-ordered-halt-gay-wedding-licenses-094009786.html

paulwalker
    Participant

I do not want to degrade the south, but I will share my experience of three years ago when I took a trip to Memphis, then down into Mississippi, then west into Arkansas.

Guys, this is a different world. The poverty sticks out like a sore thumb, or worse. You can drive through medium-sized cities and not see a single upscale, or even medium scale chain. Not that is a bad thing, but it is tell-tale about this part of the country. I don’t have any answers, but I did recognize the differences, and they are stark.

Vitalogy
    Participant

George Wallace’s 1963 Inaugural Address was delivered January 14, 1963, following his election as Governor of Alabama.[1] Wallace at this time in his career was an ardent segregationist, and as Governor he challenged the attempts of the federal government to enforce laws prohibiting segregation in Alabama’s public schools and other institutions. The speech is most famous for the phrase “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever” which became a rallying cry for those opposed to integration and the Civil Rights Movement.[2] Wallace would later in life apologize for his unabashed racism and segregationist policies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace’s_1963_Inaugural_Address

Alabama is a shitty place in our country. Nothing to offer other than liabilities.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Paul, it is. There is no question.

I’ve spent time in the South for the last few years in a row now.

I love the desire to make people welcome, have what they need, share what they got (which might not be much, but they got it!), and seek good times.

Poverty is rampant. I’m regularly impacted by it.

Of course, most of what I really don’t like can be read at http://fuckthesouth.com

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yes! Alabama has a long history of digging in deep, then going all the way down the rabbit hole to the point of doing real damage.

Some of the actions are unrecoverable, and this is one of them. There will just always be a scar, and it rides right along with the many others people experience there.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Alabama State Law. It’s up to the people and legislators to change it, not a judge:

(a) This amendment shall be known and may be cited as the Sanctity of Marriage Amendment.

(b) Marriage is inherently a unique relationship between a man and a woman. As a matter of public policy, this state has a special interest in encouraging, supporting, and protecting this unique relationship in order to promote, among other goals, the stability and welfare of society and its children. A marriage contracted between individuals of the same sex is invalid in this state.

(c) Marriage is a sacred covenant, solemnized between a man and a woman, which, when the legal capacity and consent of both parties is present, establishes their relationship as husband and wife, and which is recognized by the state as a civil contract.

(d) No marriage license shall be issued in the State of Alabama to parties of the same sex.

(e) The State of Alabama shall not recognize as valid any marriage of parties of the same sex that occurred or was alleged to have occurred as a result of the law of any jurisdiction regardless of whether a marriage license was issued.

(f) The State of Alabama shall not recognize as valid any common law marriage of parties of the same sex.

(g) A union replicating marriage of or between persons of the same sex in the State of Alabama or in any other jurisdiction shall be considered and treated in all respects as having no legal force or effect in this state and shall not be recognized by this state as a marriage or other union replicating marriage.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The law is unconstitutional. And for shitty states like Alabama to fall in line, the Supreme Court will have to have the final say, and I will guarantee you Alabama loses.

This is simply history repeating itself, and once again, states like Alabama will be on the wrong side.

Brianl
    Participant

Section 1 of the 14th Amendment overrides Alabama’s law. And that is precisely what the federal courts are using to base their judgements overturning all these SSM bans.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.