A fired Mueller likely would begin impeachment

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things A fired Mueller likely would begin impeachment

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Vitalogy 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

paulwalker
    Participant

Andrew
    Participant

Senator Flake has nothing to do with impeachment. He’s a vote at the senate trial for or against conviction but that’s it.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Jeff Flake is a big fat pussy.

And Trump cares zero about his opinion.

I have no doubt at this point that Trump will do what it takes to end the Mueller probe. Including firing everyone in range and creating a constitutional crisis.

The only remaining question is, how will the GOP react? Will they be limp dicks like they have so far or will they find the fortitude to grab their sack?

edselehr
    Participant

Nope. The leadership of the House and the Senate are lapdogs to the actions of this president. They realize acting against him not only destroys anything they may want to accomplish this year, but virtually guarantees a Dem takeover of Congress this fall, along with a very likely Dem takeover of the White House in 2020 (even if Trump is impeached or resigns, Pence will finish his term).

Impeachment can only happen with a Democratic House of Representatives. And even then, it would take a gargantuan effort to get the 67 votes needed for conviction in the Senate, even if the Dems win control – because they are not going to make it to 67 seats this election cycle, if ever.

semoochie
    Participant

While I differ with Jeff Flake politically, I kind of feel sorry for him because he is a traditional republican, along the lines of Barry Goldwater and has not changed his stance one iota but has been painted as a liberal by Trump! After that stunt last week, the house republicans will be lucky if they aren’t all sent to prison for obstructing justice and the rest of the party will lucky if it survives this administration!

edselehr
    Participant

It’s so clear that the Republican Party is being drug down to oblivion by Trump, but they don’t seem to care. It seems they are of the attitude of “grab what we can, while we can, because this ship is sinking no matter what”. Loyal to the end, even if the end is only 7 months away.

I pine for the days of two parties that respected the loyal opposition of the other. Politics of divisiveness are what the Right is about now – right out of the fascist playbook.

Andrew
    Participant

Hey, the Republicans got their tax plan passed. That was their BIGGEST priority. So they are basically happy – anything else they get at this point is icing on the cake, even if they lose Congress in 2018. Mission accomplished.

Trump impeached or not is probably irrelevant to them now. Even if Democrats can flip everything by 2021, repealing the tax bill, as we saw after Bush’s 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, will be very difficult and impossible to roll back completely. Republicans can just hang on for another few terms and the pendulum will swing back to them and they can roll back some more taxes. A little at a time.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

meh
    President can’t “fire” Special Prosecutor. Doesn’t work that way.
    But, if all this keeps folks like y’all distracted, then its working.
    Senator Flake a Goldwater Republican? News to me. If anything, he’s a RINO and in six months he’s gone. So, who cares?

edselehr
    Participant

cbaravelli, even you aren’t that naive.

Nixon couldn’t directly fire Archibald Cox either. But when Nixon wanted him gone, he was gone, though he has to burn through a couple AG’s and acting AG’s to fine a lackey that would do his bidding. (remember Bork?)

Trump has no more barriers to doing so that Nixon had; in fact, Trump has a compliant Congress completely unwilling to check him when he overreaches, making it even more likely Trump would take such an action. And you know Trump has no compunction against doing so.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Naw, jis’ mo’ edjamacated.
    Archie Cox was a “Special Prosecutor”. The Law’s changed since 1973. Ain’t no Speshal Proscutor’s Office no mo’.
    28 CFR Part 600 – GENERAL POWERS OF SPECIAL COUNSEL [1999]
    This is in response to “depends on what your definition of is is”.
    AG Sessions said this week he won’t fire the “Special Counsel” without cause. Some say there is. But that is debatable.

skeptical
    Participant

I don’t know about an impeachment, but I’m quite sure we’re going to see the Mother of All Self-Implosion very soon. I await the day he is tarred and feathered by the very people that brought him to office. Only the Obama economy has saved him thus far.

Vitalogy
    Participant

He’s gonna get his. Just a matter of time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.