A fine tuned machine: NOT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

The schism between the world’s reality and the drumpf reality keeps growing. I think Eugene Robinson boils it down in this morning’s contribution:

President Trump is flailing like a man who fears he’s about to go under, and he hasn’t even been in office a full month. His instinct is to flee to the warmth and comfort of his political base — but he will learn that while presidents can run, they can’t hide.

Trump’s administration faces two acute, interlocking crises: serious questions about his campaign’s contacts with official and unofficial representatives of the Russian government, which U.S. intelligence agencies believe made concerted efforts to help Trump win the election; and appalling levels of dysfunction in the White House that make self-inflicted wounds the rule rather than the exception.

It is unclear whether Trump is trying to fool the nation or fool himself. Witness one of the angry tweets he sent out Thursday morning: “The Democrats had to come up with a story as to why they lost the election, and so badly (306), so they made up a story — RUSSIA. Fake news!”

The idea that Russian President Vladimir Putin played a big role in putting Trump in the White House presents such a grave challenge to our democracy that even reluctant Republicans in Congress will have to investigate. The FBI is already probing reported contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian intelligence officials. We must, and I believe will, learn the truth.

This sort of crisis would test any White House. Based on performance so far, it may drown Trump’s.

Who’s in charge? Chief of Staff Reince Priebus is yet to establish any reasonable sense of order or any effective process for making decisions. Chief strategist Stephen Bannon and senior adviser Stephen Miller constitute a competing power center, and were responsible for the shoddily drafted travel and refugee ban that was blocked by the courts. Counselor Kellyanne Conway goes on television and speaks confidently for the administration, but increasingly is out of the loop — as when she said Trump had “full confidence” in Flynn just hours before his dismissal. Press secretary Sean Spicer struggles daily to reconcile Trump’s pronouncements with objective reality.

No communications director has been hired. Who would take the job?

Among Trump’s inner circle, only senior adviser Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, seems to be having a relatively positive impact. Yes, this administration has reduced me to applauding nepotism.

Last weekend we saw Trump and his brain trust learning details of an ominous geopolitical development — a new North Korean missile test — as the president hosted a dinner party for Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on a terrace at Mar-a-Lago, surrounded by other diners who belong to the posh club. Within range of prying eyes, Trump and party used the flashlight apps on their cellphones to read incoming documents.

Trump claimed Thursday that his administration is running like “a fine-tuned machine.” A test-crash simulator, perhaps?

I guess things could be worse. Don’t ask me how.

http://bit.ly/2kHrx7y

drumpf appears to think that anyone outside of his brood of baconites are taking him seriously. The Republican leaders are too scared to point out how close to real peril his dysfunctional administration is. Calling a news conference and saying in essence that the entire news medium is ‘fake’ and wrong and ‘I’ am correct is not a formula for consensus building.

My personal opinion counts but what counts far more is the overwhelming amount of opinions that drumpf is lying, exaggerating, inventing facts that are totally incorrect and feeding his baconites the sound bites they love to hear so they can copy and paste them all over the internet.

radiogeek
    Participant

I seem to remember that before the election, Senator Wyden alluded to some serious issues regarding Russian interference. He sits on the Senate Select Intelligence Committee and therefore is constrained by law to not disclose what is shown to committee in closed session.

The full extent of what actually has occurred must be known to him and the other members. I’m curious when this will come out, as it requires either declassification or a decision by a member of the Senate to risk prosecution.

At some point, the intelligence community and the Congress needs to realize that our “So Called President” is becoming a clear and present danger to the Constitution and the nation, and act appropriately.

Langston
    Participant
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.