910 ESPN Portland Now on 99.5 HD3

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio 910 ESPN Portland Now on 99.5 HD3

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kent.Randles
    Participant

KMTT “910 ESPN Portland” is now being simulcast on 99.5 KWJJ-HD3.

Listen to the World Series starting tomorrow (10/27).

As KKCW and KFBW have done, KWJJ is now using the “Extended Hybrid Mode to transmit the HD signal at 120 kbps (as opposed to 96 kbps) so that there is bandwidth for a 48 kbps HD1, 30 kbps HD2, 25 kbps HD3, 12 kbps of Broadcast Traffic Consortium data, plus 4 kbps for the HD1 “Artist Experience.”

At the moment, 99.5 KWJJ is the only Portland commercial FM station that is “low-level combined” where the FM and HD signals are created in the transmitter’s exciter, and high-power amplified by the (tube) transmitter. Not back-fed through a combiner and combined in the antenna, not combined after the transmitter, and not using separate transmitters and antennas for FM and HD.

fieldstrength
    Participant

Has the Jampro master antenna been upgraded to accommodate this change, as well as the recent additions of KWLZ and KLVP? I believe you mentioned here once before that KWJJ was previously using the backup antenna to transmit a separate HD-only signal.

semoochie
    Participant

It appears that KLVP simply took the place of KBFF, when the latter moved further down the tower. I am not fond of what I’ve seen of the Extended Hybrid Mode. Unless there was a problem that has since been addressed and assuming that KKCW and KFBW are any indication, dropouts are rampant! Before the EHM, I had not heard a dropout in over a decade. Maybe, KWJJ will have better luck and I’ll recheck the other two.

semoochie
    Participant

KKCW and KFBW HD3s still have huge dropout problems but I didn’t hear any on KWJJ. I’ll listen further. This may not be inherent to the system afterall.

Kent.Randles
    Participant

Back in 2006 KWJJ used a separate HD transmitter which used the backup antenna, as KGON and KYCH do. Several years later KWJJ’s combined pair of 70s-vintage FM transmitters was replaced with a new Harris tube transmitter capable of passing FM+HD.

KWJJ got grandfathered in as did “mid-level-combined” KBOO. Apparently KLVP will be paying more rent to be able to do low-level-combined HD into the Jampro spiral.

Years ago KPDQ dropped to 50 kW ERP when they changed frequency and KBFF’s 100 kW ERP left the Jampro spiral and went to the Jampro side-mounted 12-bay. These things gave the system a lot more headroom.

I had some initial trouble getting the Extended Hybrid Mode to work on KWJJ. Had to change some settings in the exciter and reboot it and the Exporter. Network congestion between the Exporter and Exciter is a problem.

I haven’t heard only KWJJ-HD3 drop out yet.

KWJJ’s and KLVP’s HDs are low-level combined, in the exciter. The transmitters amplify the HD with the FM, and the signal goes to the combiner. KKCW and KFBW use separate HD transmitters which are “backfed” into the combiner, extracted from the wideband input port, then fed to separate power splitters whose outputs are connected to a hybrid on the back of each antenna bay.

semoochie
    Participant

Congratulations on getting the extended hybrid mode to work. It gives me renewed hope in the system. It would be great if IHeart can fix ITS problems. I had no idea that KLVP would be using HD. Are they on yet?

Borderblaster
    Participant

Two more seattle stations losted to the buzzzz, just thrown out all the fm radios into the trash, thanks ass holes

Kent.Randles
    Participant

97.9 KLVP has HD1 on. They are prepared to have HD2 and HD3.

They are completely out of the Skyline Tower site.

Borderblaster
    Participant

+2 – 2 = 0
    3 – 2 = 1buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.