9 people killed in church!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant
    skeptical
    Participant

God is responding to the horrific rants of Broadway.

duxrule
    Participant

The FBI has identified this guy, and it looks like he used a birthday present to do the damage:

“BREAKING: FBI identifies the suspect as 21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof: According to local media reports cited by Reuters, federal investigators have identified the suspected gunman as Dylann Storm Roof.

According to Roof’s Facebook page, he lives in Columbia, S.C., and attended White Knoll High School in Lexington. In his profile photo, Roof is wearing a jacket with emblazoned with the flags of Rhodesia, an unrecognized South African state that later became part of Zimbabwe, and apartheid-era South Africa.

According to public records, Roof was arrested in April for trespassing.

South Carolina church shooting suspect got gun for birthday, uncle says: Dylann Roof, the 21-year-old identified by the FBI as the suspect in Wednesday’s church shooting in South Carolina, was given a gun by his father as a 21st birthday present in April, his uncle, Carson Cowles, told Reuters on Thursday.

Cowles said Roof’s father gave him a .45-caliber pistol for his birthday this year.”
    (from yahoo news)

duxrule
    Participant

Breaking news at 8:40 am:

“Attorney General Lynch: ‘I can confirm that there is a suspect in custody’ in church shooting
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Lynch: ‘I can confirm that there is a suspect in custody’ in church shooting.”

Langston
    Participant

Dang. It’s stuff like this that makes bigots look bad.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Roof was identified in a security camera photo by his childhood friend Joey Meek:

http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2015/06/charleston_shooting_suspect_ar.html

One of the victims of this shooting was a state senator.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Are you allowed to give a gun as a gift?

I hope the Dad is charged too.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

How about taking drugs away instead of guns?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There is an extremely common recreational drug that impairs judgement and muscular coordination, even when taken in moderate quantities. Some users of this drug become belligerent and commit acts of violence under its influence. Millions of people worldwide are addicted to this drug.

Would you advocate taking this drug away?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

“Would you advocate taking this drug away?”

And why not?

missing_kskd
    Participant

Ok, no more booze for you.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I don’t think booze causes people to do things. It clouds their judgement and restraint which allows the real “them” to come out. It give them the mental freedom to be themselves, which if they have violent nature underneath the surface, it allows it to come to the surface.

I was fully aware it was a trick question, I thought I’d just let it play out a bit.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Totally. Just being snarky, and I agree with you.

Really, we are dancing around a couple of things:

How do we reduce harm caused by guns?

Remember, we’ve got money and markets, norms, law, physics as regulators of human behavior. None of these are absolute things. They all have tradeoffs.

Physics might be improved gun safety designs, security of various kinds, etc…

Norms might be education on gun use, best practices for everybody –even kids. They could also be along the lines of “if you see stupid shit, say something for their own good, to get them help…” At a higher level, just normalizing the idea of discussion would be progress. Right now, nearly any discussion boils down to, “take guns away!” and it turns to shit right there. Not acceptable anymore.

Law might center on checks, and I think some much stronger accountability and means and methods for research, funded, etc… Could also be things like ammo tax for victims, or education. The latter seems a no brainer to me.

Money and markets involves private solutions, education, better products, etc… means, methods, technology that is enabling falls here too.

People aren’t thinking in policy minded ways. It’s all knee jerk bull shit, again completely unacceptable.

None of that means taking guns away, other than as a consequence of law, and arguably, those people should be accountable.

On that note, our law centers hard on punishment, not so much on reform / improvement / change, yet we call it “corrections”, which in a very large –embarrassingly large number of cases is a complete joke. Can’t we talk about that too? On a broader scale, we could save money and very likely quit fucking people over their whole lives when it’s not warranted, nor productive. But on the gun matter, it also means “taking away” might be for a time, and that time depends on a person stepping up and making sure they aren’t contributing to an ugly problem that is growing rapidly.

Amus
    Participant

And it should surprise no one that while the American flag has been lowered atop the South Carolina Capitol in Columbia, the Confederate State flag still flies high and proud.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/charleston-church-shooting/south-carolinas-confederate-flag-not-lowered-half-mast-after-church-n378316

Governor Nikki Haley, who has defended the racist symbol of her state’s shameful past, does not have the authority to direct the state flag to be lowered even if she had any inclination to do so.

That requires sign-off from the State Assembly, who it would seem sees no reason to do so.

Have I mentioned how much I fucking hate the South?

ADD;

Dylann Roof Had Confederate Plates

Amus
    Participant

Nikki Haley;

“we’ll never understand what motivates” #Charleston massacre.

Bullshit Nikki.
    Look up on that flagpole.
    Your fucking state celebrates fucking bigots!

Appalachian Trail traveler, philanderer & Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) also weighed in on the Confederate flag at the state Capitol after the shooting, calling the debate over the flag a “complex issue” and saying removing the flag “should not be the immediate solution.”

It’s not that complicated Mark.
    As Republicans you and Nikki are forced to pander to the bigots or lose an important & reliable constituency.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.