8 Important Questions…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

…Maybe not to you…but from one of my favorite theologians who is seen as a top Old Testament scholar.

Even if you don’t think there is a God, or the bible is a fairy tale, you may appreciate his take on some of what we talk about on this message board.

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2015/01/09/walter-brueggemann-church-gospel-bible/35739

paulwalker
    Participant

Great stuff, Chris. This is definitely food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

duxrule
    Participant

Impressive.

skeptical
    Participant

Here’s the problem — for every rational thinking Christian, you have a numbskull like Broadway.

A mega-church full of Brueggemanns armed with bats is ineffective in getting through these people.

So, one wonders why would anyone want to belong to a club with half the members being numbskulls? (Don’t stoop to Broadway’s level and utter the generic “to test your faith” response.)

At least in politics, when this stuff happens, people man up and leave the party.

—-

The Jesus people have been just awful lately and one has to wipe away the stewage before seeing anything redeeming about Christianity.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Actually, I think Skep has a point.

In my own world I am speaking out more. I left my church over a year ago and let the pastor and the governing body of the church, known as a Session, that I was uncomfortable with whom we were keeping company with, and that I couldn’t associate with a church that spoke out of both sides of their doctrinal mouths.

I seek out the Brueggemann’s of world. They put forth an intellectual and historical understanding of how scripture should be used and not used.

I’d rather have honest “assholes” sitting in the pews than people who blindly believe scripture to be literal.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

If the advent of Christ supersedes the Old Testament laws, are the Ten Commandments invalidated? Why, then, would it be important to display them in public spaces?

Broadway
    Participant

My only question is…where will you spend eternity?

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Broadway-

I don’t think anyone was asking that question.

Broadway
    Participant

I think my point is…they need to ask it…to themselves…or…where will I spend eternity?….THEE most important question of the ages.

edselehr
    Participant

“I think my point is…they need to ask it…to themselves…or…where will I spend eternity?….THEE most important question of the ages.”

Broadway is highlighting the essential difference between the doctrinal, fundamentalist believers and most non-believers.

For those believers, this life is simply a means to an end, the end being the afterlife. This life is not as important as the eternity to follow. And the price of admission to a good afterlife is to follow God’s edicts, however “unholy” they may be.

For non-believers, it’s all about this life. This is your one opportunity to be the best person you can be. There is no eternity for any of us to experience, so take that off the table. The only eternity is the one lived out by the generations to come. How are your actions today making *their* eternity blissful?

That – for me, as a nonbeliever – is why I am here.

skeptical
    Participant

Broadway uttered: “where will I spend eternity?”

You’ll be spending it with people like Pastor Steven Anderson and other people of your ilk forevermore. Most of the rest of us don’t want to be ANYWHERE NEAR YOU, both in the now and the eternity.

From Raw Story:

Arizona pastor predicts ‘AIDS-free Christmas’ if all gays are killed, as God commands

A Baptist pastor in Tempe, Arizona called for the mass extermination of LGBT people on Sunday in a sermon entitled “AIDS: The Judgement of God.”

In the sermon, which was uploaded to YouTube on Monday from Faithful Word Baptist Church, Pastor Steven Anderson said that God has ordered in the scriptures that gays should be killed, and that if humanity wants to have an “AIDS-free world by Christmas,” he said, that’s what should be done.

“Turn to Leviticus 20:13,” he says in the video, “because I actually discovered the cure for AIDS.”

“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them,” Anderson read aloud.

“And that, my friend, is the cure for AIDS,” he said. “It was right there in the Bible all along — and they’re out spending billions of dollars in research and testing. It’s curable — right there. Because if you executed the homos like God recommends, you wouldn’t have all this AIDS running rampant.”

At another point in his sermon, Anderson had a foot-stomping, shouting tantrum about the idea that people can be LGBT and Christian. There will never be any gays in his church, he said, not ever, ever, ever.

“No homos will ever be allowed in this church as long as I am pastor here,” he insisted. “Never! Say ‘You’re crazy.’ No, you’re crazy if you think that there’s something wrong with my ‘no homo’ policy.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/arizona-pastor-predicts-aids-free-christmas-if-all-gays-are-killed-as-god-commands/

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My only question is…where will you spend eternity?

I will spend it chemically and physically rearranged into something not resembling a human being, either through processes of combustion or decay. I won’t be around to witness this event, and there is nothing that I can do to prevent it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

BEWARE! Judgement is upon you gay people.

I am the Lord thy God!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

P.S. This shall be the fate of all unbelievers:

Believe or I will crush your head!

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

“…where will I spend eternity?….THEE most important question of the ages.”

Broadway-

For you, that might be THE most important question. But don’t expect others, even many believers like myself, to even begin to welcome such an audacious, self-serving kind of question, when there are far more important things on the table.

As one pastor puts it, Jesus spent much of his earthly ministry pointing to God. Many believers are stuck looking at Jesus’ pointing finger. Which is to say, look beyond your own theological and doctrinal nose and follow the Christ and do likewise.

Broadway-Your kind of Christianity is filled with bumper-sticker slogans and one-liners. You’ll drop scripture without context or even references, possibly thinking some of the non-believers will somehow have a bible nearby or even spend time online looking up whatever passage you mentioned. Got some news for ya…they don’t care…Aint’ gonna happen…EVER!!!

You may think this message board is some kind of “ministry” field and you’re willing to “carry the cross” in order to get one of these non-believers into heaven.

I take each person on this board where they are at. Not where I want them to be. None of us really knows what happens after death. We won’t really know until it happens. And it may be different for each us. Who knows.

@Skep – Steven Anderson is 100 percent jerk!! It’s truly sad this clown has the audacity to call himself “pastor.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.