747 — the Biggest Bird goes airborne

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

On this day exactly 50 years ago, the world’s first jumbo jet, the Boeing 747 made its first flight into the air. Many thought it was too large to get off the ground. It turned out to be a graceful and beautiful plane to fly and watch.

A great example of American ingenuity, design and manufacturing.

The original (001) is retired up in Seattle at the
    Museum of Flight. The Evergreen Aviation Museum down in McMinnville has a giant 747 you can walk and swim thru at their Wings and Waves Waterpark. Hint, wait till summer to visit.

semoochie
    Participant

This would also be the day that 55 years ago, The Beatles made their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, which got me to thinking that six days ago was the 60th anniversary of the Buddy Holly plane crash. Did anyone hear anything about it?

paulwalker
    Participant

My family took us to Hawaii in December ’72 aboard a Northwest Orient 747. I was 13 at the time and enjoyed the plane ride more than the beaches in Hawaii! My one constant memory is of how it took so long to take off…as if they would never make it! Of course I didn’t understand the physics of it all at that age. What a great plane for its era.

jr_tech
    Participant

“six days ago was the 60th anniversary of the Buddy Holly plane crash. Did anyone hear anything about it?”

Yes, stumptown had this:
    https://stumptownblogger.typepad.com/stumptownblogger/page/4/

semoochie
    Participant

OK, not to hijack this thread any further but when I clicked on the above link, another headline on the page referred to Vincent Astor, the son of John Jacob Astor IV, who died on the same day, worth $1.5 billion in 1959 money! He was a philanthropist who unlike earlier family members, gave extensively to charities. Here’s what Wikipedia had to say: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Astor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.