6.3 Bounce question

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Screamer 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

Now, that we have had Bounce on 6.3 for a while, what are your thoughts on the change from Decades? I miss Decades OTA. I had to get my old big dish running around to park it on SES1 to get Decades. No DVR function, but at least I have access to it. Bounce is not a good channel for classic TV in my book. I picked up a streaming service a while back that has the channel Aspire. They run several classic TV shows, Julia, The Mod Squad and Room 222. Since we do not get Antenna TV or THIS out here on the North Coast, probably the best for classic TV is METV, followed by Get TV. I am glad both of those are still available.

RadioRon
    Participant

I’m getting Bounce on Salem Comcast 319 and 306 (6.3). I- wish they’d bring Decades back !

Jbpdx
    Participant

Since local TV stations don’t seem to be able to self regulate, the FCC should enact a rule that a diginet can be carried by only one local affiliate in a local market. There is no reason for a diginet to be duplicated by local affiliates.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Follow the money.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Doesn’t KPDX have Bounce too. or is it Escape? Two Portland stations seem to carry TBD. I just don’t see why the stations at least can’t carry different diginets. Portland compared to even some smaller markets do not have the number of OTA diginets. So many are missing, RTV, Movies, Heroes and Icons, Start TV, and now Decades. I have been a bit unhappy that we do not have the complete KPTV OTA lineup, like with KATU, KOIN, KGW, & KOPB. The KPTV line up for their owned translators only have KPTV/KPDX, so out here on the coast, no Cozi or Laff. I am hoping in the future to be able to get a diginet package maybe streaming on the Roku/Fire TV. A few carry Cozi, but you have to buy the whole cable package to get it.

jr_tech
    Participant

Yes, KPDX carries Bounce, Escape and Grit. sister station KPTV has Cozi and Laff.
    Sad that Decades is gone from the Portland dial.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The situation being described here* is similar to that in a recent radiotvphononut video on YouTube, in which he spins the dial on a radio that he has just fixed, revealing that two AM stations in his area, both of which deliver a fairly strong signal to his location, are simultaneously running Coast to Coast AM. Pardon my showing bias in saying that current FCC policy is friendly to cluster operators who are looking to cut overhead and who clamor for deregulation. The only commercial entities that I believe the FCC values more are the wireless carriers. In addition to going against the pro-deregulation philosophy, rules about diginet affiliation (or about syndicated programming carriage) would be trouble to enforce. Hence, nothing is done.

*Reading closely through this thread, it appears that the diginet duplication is happening on a cable system, rather than among the over-the-air stations in a particular market. Your cable company could program a channel with barking dogs 24/7, and there is nothing that the FCC would do about that.

semoochie
    Participant

It is unconstitutional for the FCC to control programing.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is why I use wifi radios now. I have my choice of thousands of radio stations worldwide. For years, if we wanted to listen to an out of market radio station, we may have to deal with noise, fading, etc. Now with the internet and most stations are streaming I can pick the format I want, not what some local station broadcasts. So much of the radio dial now (AM especially) is either conservative talk, sports, etc. Where are the adult standards stations, or many other formats.? With the wifi radio, I may choose to listen to Polish pop music or, Adult Standards. or any other format not offered around here.One station I like to listen to in KHNC 89.5 Seattle. They are Dance. Used to be I got it fairly well on the Northern Oregon Coast, but now there are translator(S) blocking the frequency. I can hear it if I adjust the FM Yagi just right, but the signal is mushy. Now with C89 streaming, no worries. It comes in like I was in Seattle.
    I wish TV was like radio, most TV stations would be streaming their programming. But TV rules are different unfortunately. The viewer is stuck to find that channel where ever they might find it.
    Getting back to Decades, even if some TV station in Portland does pick it up, will it be 2/6/8? Any other channel 12/32/47/49 we will not be getting it OTA out here.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Spoke to KOIN today and was told that is was not their idea to drop Decades. It was corporate. Even though Decades is part of CBS, KOIN is a CBS Network station, but owned by Netstar. I also asked since 32 is now part of Netstar, will we be getting 32 out here via a translator. They are looking into that. KOIN probably will be getting into 3.0 in the next year or so.
    KOIN has been had breakup via our translator at Megler. KOIN is currently operating at 1/2 until they get a new part. That may be part of the issue, as K O peak still gets the signal, then it is fiber out to Megler. Hopefully they can get that fixed soon.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Sounds like a KOIN/KRCW channel share is very much under active consideration. That would be a big plus for KRCW, because KOIN’s repeater network covers a good sized chunk of the state.

So Decades got dropped on orders from company HQ, huh? Interesting. That means Decades now has to find a new home in Portland. I’ve thought of at least three possible places it could move to. KWVT should consider one of the following two moves: Move HSN from KVDO 3.1 to 3.2 and put Decades on 3.1. Or move the old reruns they’re currently running on KSLM 27.1 (formerly Retro TV’s spot) to 27.2 and put Decades on 27.1. Either one of these moves would put KVDO or KSLM on Comcast, more than likely, for the first time. (KPWC 37.1 [Azteca] could also put Decades on 37.2.)

Another possibility would be KGWZ, which has been off the air during the repack process, and I’m assuming that KGW will light it up again shortly. That leaves the HC2 (formerly Watch TV) station group. They’re still in test mode and have been known to KWVT’s YouToo network programs as test material lately. KOXO and sisters shouldn’t waste time with testing any longer than needed. They could provide a home for Decades, Retro TV, and other subchannel services that haven’t reached Portland yet. Comcast, by the way, is still showing two Bounce feeds on their onscreen guide, and the name change at Escape to Court TV Mystery hasn’t been noted yet. I think they’re waiting for everyone to get up to full power before they make changes.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I would think they would want Decades on a high powered station to cover better. One reason Portland does not have as many diginets I was told is the stations owners do not want to cut the pie. They feel there will be less revenue in the market. I am hoping if Decades does find a home in Portland it lands on 2 or 8, but probably unlikely as 8 does not run diginets with old TV shows and 2 runs most of their own fare. Our only hope out here is to get some streaming package that most of the diginets are included. The way streaming is growing, that is indeed possible.I am still hoping 32 will find a home on KOIN’s network of translators. Tribune is not into translators, so that is why we never got one. The previous company had an app or CP for #39, but it was never built.

Screamer
    Participant

I thought I read in a thread previously that KWVT/KSLM/KPWC/KVDO is all on a channel share. The KOIN/KRCW idea is already in practice in market. I’m guessing it gives KWVT and the others better coverage due to the fact most of their lower power.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.