2016 Predictions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jerry1949
    Spectator

Hillary won’t be president. I doubt she’ll be the candidate, but if that’s all the democrats can offer, she won’t win.

duxrule
    Participant

Based on WTF? The Dems could run Howdy Doody and trounce anyone and everyone that the GOP would put up. That being said, I agree that Hillary will not be the nominee. People are tired of going down that road. There HAS to be someone else besides a Clinton or a Bush that can run this country.

Vitalogy
    Participant

2016 is a long way away, but there are a few general predictions I can make today.

President: If Hillary runs, she will win. I’m pretty confident in this. If Hillary does not run, I see Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders being an option, but not a slam dunk like Hillary. Other than Jeb Bush, I don’t see any viable GOP candidate at this point, and let’s face it, the Bush name is still pretty tainted.

Senate: GOP will lose control. This is my most confident prediction as of today.

House: GOP will lose seats but still retain a majority.

skeptical
    Participant

The Democrats have to run the person with the best chances of crushing the Republicans — not just merely a win. While not every Democrat is on board with Hillary, she has the remarkable and well-oiled Clinton Machine at her disposal. The stupid party needs a massive and crushing blow. Hilary can deliver this.

I’m not going to entertain other options unless Hilary opts out.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Deciding when to announce is a complicated calculation for any candidate. Clinton doesn’t need to start early to be able to raise big bucks. Fundraising should come easy to her. She is already well-known in early contest states like Iowa and New Hampshire. As the front-runner from the start, she will be able to lock up experienced staff; some of Obama’s team have already agreed to work for her.
    The better odds are that Clinton is running and the regular trickle of paid speeches, book tour events and winks and nods in interviews is just a drawn-out warm-up act to the 2015 kickoff.
    It also explains why the emerging Republican field has taken shots at Clinton at every chance afforded to them.
    Because the GOP primary contest currently has only a marginal, tenuous front-runner and is expected to turn into a wide open and divisive free-for-all, there will be an incentive to get in early – beginning with the traditional formation of an “exploratory committee” – and define oneself.
    Given that financial capacity within GOP circles is likely to be divided among a handful of upper-tier candidates, free media will be vitally important for the Republican slate – especially when juxtaposed against Clinton, who will attract nonstop coverage the moment she’s in.

The fact that F&B is trying to make a prediction this early out only underscores how frivolous his understanding of national politics, and his hopes of the stupid party gaining the White House will be soundly crushed. Latinos are already rallying behind Hillary and that fact alone spells doom with a capital D for the Republitards. The Senate will go back to the Democrats as well. Republicans will have to defend 24 seats as compared to just 10 for Democrats in 2016. And, the raw numbers don’t even tell the whole story. Seven seats currently held by Republican incumbents — Florida, Illinois, Iowa, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — were all carried by President Obama in 2008 and 2012. And there is chatter about potential Republican retirements in Arizona and Iowa; if either John McCain or Chuck Grassley decided to call it a career, each of those races would be major Democratic targets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/latino-voters-hillary-clinton_n_6262408.html

jerry1949
    Spectator

I remember that I was frivolous in predicting six months out that the stupid party would end up with 55 senate seats and 245 house seats. I didn’t predict the outcome exactly, but I did go against the grain, and made the best prediction on the board by far, besides predicting later, but still going against conventional wisdom, that the “stupid” party that is so stupid it dominates state legislatures, the US Senate and Congress, would gain governorships, which they did.

One prediction I can make with certainty is that those who make bad predictions won’t admit it when things don’t turn out so well, as happened with the recent midterm.

Anyway, it’s fun to predict. It’s a game anyone can play, and one that even stupid people like me can win big (as I did), and handily beat <cough> the smartest men in the room.

I predict Hillary won’t win because she is not likable, a phony, and warmed over Bill Clinton, besides the rarity in recent history of one party keeping the White House three consecutive terms, the exception being Bush I, because Reagan was so awesome.

duxrule
    Participant

That was a pretty decent post, until the last line. This country is still reeling from the carnage wreaked by St. Ronnie and his criminal minions.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Every losing team has a good season from time to time, F&B, and your “predictions” were merely cut and past jobs from right wing prognosticators. You will also note that no one on the board loquaciously attacked your “predictions” as being impossible, and in fact most folks here were accepting of the fact that predictions of low turnout and stupid party gains were near certain. This has nothing to do with a national election in two years where the dynamics are completely different. Again, the Cubs have had some decent seasons since 1874 but when’s the last time they won the World Series? The truth is hard for you to accept, but the GOP knows that in two years they can’t fix all the problems within their own party the likes of which paint them as old white fat racist misogynists that are out of touch with middle class America.

Langston
    Participant

Michele Bachmann and Paul Ryan will both run for President. There will be stare downs during the debates.

Amus
    Participant

Any bets on whether Old Frothy will run?

Andy Brown
    Participant

The GOP primaries should be quite entertaining. Watching all the hard righties trying to out-conservative each other without saying too much that can destroy their national numbers. Should be some good laughs coming our way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.