1710 kHz Pirate station playing oldies

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio 1710 kHz Pirate station playing oldies

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

vrooms
    Participant

1710 Pirate station heard on 1710 kHz at 12:09 AM PDT 08/25/2017. Played the Peaches & Herb song “Reunited”. Very weak signal (S-2) on the North South 200″ longwire antenna.
    Tried to get a direction with the Kiwa loop, but it could not pulled in the weak signal. Very deep fading with music being heard about 5% of the time. Receiving location Kalama, WA

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I wonder if it’s that one guy in Hazel Dell who used to volunteer at Golden Hours again. I forget who, think it might have been Gerry Gaule. Whomever, he’s been known to play oldies on 1710 (?) in the past, usually getting his first-amendment rights pissed on by the Federal Censorship Corporation not long after.

Borderblaster
    Participant

1710 kHz is not an am x band frequency allocation

under Part 15 rules, no FCC license is required
    go find your “Pirate” elsewhere

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yes, but Part 15 also has strict limitations on the antenna system (no more than 3 meters in length, including feedline and ground wire) and no more than 100mw input to the final stage of the transmitter. Although there are a few legal tips and tricks to extend range of the signal within guidelines, those two aforementioned restrictions severely question any Part 15 micro broadcaster whose signal is propagating for more then a few miles. Unlike FM Part 15 limits, there is no field strength limit on AM (because those antenna and input power limits are sufficient) however when the signal is being heard over 2 miles from the transmitter site, it usually ends up being because of a violation of those two rules. Although 1710 is popular with pirates and micro broadcasting, 1708 is used by aeronautical radio navigation, so it’s not the vast wasteland many pirates claim it to be. Also, no where in the Part 15 rules is there a discussion about “license” requirements because the Part 15 rules are about EMR coming off of devices being manufactured for industrial and consumer use. The fact is that while so called Part 15 compliant transmitters are available, no where within part 15 is there any reference to the legality of micro broadcasting. It is really just a cottage industry that skirts the rules, not complies with them. If the FCC decides whatever a micro or pirate is doing is causing issues for legitimate services under their auspices, they will shut down the offending signal. Period. Just ask the guy down in Stayton that tried to daisy chain his way to a network of transmitters to extend range. Those types will never be satisfied with complying with rules or regs until they get caught, fined and embarrassed by local media. Under the new LPFM service, anyone meeting the most meager of requirements can file and build a 100 Watt FM service which if wisely done can propagate much further then a Part 15 micro signal.

dialtwirler
    Participant

I received an email from Gerald Gaule and he asked me to pass this on:

“I have not or have been on any frequency since the visit from Binh who was kind, I volunteered to surrender my Talking House II 5.0 model which I did not modify or add a ground, the antenna transmitter was laying on the floor, I am not sure why to this day that some or whom ever thinks that I am remotely involved with any activity that is taking place, I am simply asking that assumption to be stopped, it is not me nor ever has been me, I simply shut it down in front of him, signed the paperwork he did not take the transmitter, which I gave it away, so again please stop assuming just because this is going on it is me, Thank You.”

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

To Gerry:

First, dude, lighten up. It’s just speculation on a discussion board.

Second, I’ve been mulling this over for months. Longtime readers of this site know that I fully support the cause of underground broadcasting and ahat I’m about to say now really needs to be said.

To start, you only had yourself to blame for attracting unwanted attention of the regime. When you WERE on the air, you did violate the first Great Commandment of free-speech broadcasting, after all: “Thou shalt not transmit not from thy home, nor shall thou transmit in the same location non-sporadically”. In other words, if you stay keyed down in the same place for any period of time, expect your enemy (the for-profit F¢¢) to focus its attention to you. That’s just basic underground broadcasting survival strategy. Leave food out in the open for long enough, it’s liable to attract unwanted wildlife. That’s a given.

They allegedly didn’t “confiscate” (meaning: steal) your transmitter equipment, so personally I would have gone mobile right afterward for maybe an hour or so a day, once a week, but that’s me. I maybe would have also put out a message informing the listeners of what happened and the then-current situation, plus an appeal to rally your fellow citizens in your cause, to send the message to the regime that we don’t stand for this oppression and injustice in the free United States of America. This could have been in the form of a recorded announcement played from a sacrificial transmitter on a timer and batteries somewhere in the area, a post online, or even a recording on a local or 1-800 number. VOIP equipment and inward PSTN numbers are cheaper than dirt these days and you can even find answering machines for free depending where you look, might be a cassette machine, but if it works who cares.

Ever heard of “civil disobedience”? That’s how you keep the PUBLIC airwaves and the rest of our great country free and PUBLIC, like it or not. Take it or leave it. Just shutting down after the gummit slaps you on the wrist is a sign of submission and defeat. That’s what the corporate Amerikan government wants. Sure, you could just throw in the towel and walk away woth your tail between your legs, giving in to the will of the system like a good little slave, but is that really how a true patriot who believes in free speech and access to the a public resource such as the broadcast airwaves would react? Of course not. That’s the path to oppression and to suppression of one’s RIGHT, which is codified into CONSTITUTIONAL LAW, to freedom of speech and of the press. Now ask yourself this. Do you really want the big-money establishment to continue its chokehold on the public airwaves, shutting out Average Joe the Plumber, or do you want to take America back? Are you willing to fight for your belief in free and open media or are you satisfied in complacency with the current status quo?

Remember, the only reason the FCC exists today is to make $$$money$$$ for the corporately-owned Amerikan government machine and to serve the corporations that own it (meaning: big media and big telecoms), even moreso now under the Criminal in Chief (you know, the womanizer with the bad rug). It’s not about controlling interference, it’s not about technical standards, it’s not about “decency” (whatever the fucking hell that means), it stopped being about that decades ago. You could almost say it’s never truly been about that. It’s entirely about the almightly dollar sign. Do you really want to give in to that? Is that the kind of America you really want?

You see, when you start as an underground broadcaster, you automatically take an oath to uphold these ideals and rights. This is not only your responsibility, it’s your civic duty as an American citizen. Even if it’s just simply broadcasting music and entertainment, the underlying principle of the right to free speech is still there and it’s unaviodable.

I hope you take this to heart and we’ll hear you back on the air again soon, my brother.

That’s all.

(There, that oughta really get the fire burning.)

semoochie
    Participant

Your rights extend up to but not beyond interfering with someone else’s. If you broadcast illegally, you are interfering with someone else’s legal rights to do so. What you suggest worked just fine for about 15 minutes, when the government was forced to step in and create the Federal Radio Commission in 1927. “The right to free speech” means you can speak out in a public square without fear of government interference. It does not mean you have free access to do so on radio and television. However, if you want your opinion to be known, put it on your website. There will probably be far more takers and it’s perfectly legal.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am not trying to ignite a flame war, however, I feel the need to state that I find some of the pirate radio free speech radio rhetoric that focuses on the US government to be quite myopic. At least, the US has a slow, bureaucratic system that allows the pirate a window of time, between when agents first direction-find the transmitter and when the Notice of Apparent Liability is received, to broadcast. In the UK, I have read, regulatory agents are empowered to demand inspection of any premises upon their discovery of an unauthorized broadcast. I have read that in Germany, broadcast transmitters could be considered contraband even if there were no signs that they were in use.

Only in Italy are things different. There, a supreme court decision in 1976 ruled that all citizens have a right to air their views on the radio. This eventually led to pandemonium on the FM dial in Rome, with some 100 transmitters struggling to be heard (many of the stations broadcast LPFM-like power levels).

I don’t have a problem with people having fun with radio, but I see pirate stations as a fun prank, not a noble act of resistance against “the man.” Once the NAL comes in the mail, it’s best to admit, “OK, they’ve found me; the joke’s over,” and shut down.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Well, I think there are basically 3 types of pirates: 1)Those who feel that they have a legitimate right to gripe about the government 2) Those who spew extremely radical ideals and deliberately cause malicious interference and broadcast profanity 3) hobbyists who just want jollies and and get a signal on air.

With that said, I don’t approve of any pirate. 1 and 3’s don’t bother me that much as long as they don’t cause interference to other services. However, the 2’s are ones that should be hauled off to jail immediately (I only wish it could be that fast). If they do a second offence, charge them with a felony.

The ham bands have been pretty bad these past years. Just yesterday afternoon on 40 meter’s (7.160 MHz @ 2:40 PM) there was a very strong pirate spewing profanity, music, racial slurs, mentioning genitalia, you name it. Even I was shocked. A week earlier on 80 meters (3.908 MHz @ 8:10 PM on 11/21/2017) there was another idiot in CA spewing his call sign on a taped message blasting some club (this guy is on a lot). I Googled the call sign and found this person has been doing this for 10 years and the FCC still hasn’t yanked his chain…just warning letters and all that bureaucratic red tape stuff.

Anyway, that’s my feeling on this subject…throw the book at them 🙂

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Gerry said: “I am not sure why to this day that some or whom ever thinks that I am remotely involved with any activity that is taking place, I am simply asking that assumption to be stopped.”

Gerry maybe you need a refresher course from 1991:

ON THE AIR: BATTLE GROUND BROADCASTS READY TO GO
    The Oregonian – January 7, 1991
    Author/Byline: LARRY SHAW – of the Oregonian Staff

Clark County has a new radio station — KJGY-AM, 830 on the radio dial.

Gerald Gaule, a 27-year-old graduate of Ridgefield High School in 1982, has been licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to begin official broadcasting on Jan. 17.

The signal won’t be powerful — 45 to 60 watts when at capacity — and it will reach mostly Battle Ground residents. That’s Gaule’s design.

Gaule has lived in Clark County all of his life and in the Battle Ground area for the past five years.

I’ve been interested in radio since I’ve was 2 years old,” Gaule said from his modest broadcast studio on the second floor of the Rectory Building.

He was testing equipment at 30 watts in preparation for the station’s debut.

Also in the studio was his sales manager, Alta Lebard, and the chief executive officer of Lewis River Broadcasting, Mary Gaule, his mother.

She’s the one who has been behind me all the way,” Gaule said, nodding toward his 73-year-old mother.

Everytime I’d get down (during the formation of Lewis River Broadcasting), she would kick me,” he said.

Gaule has been active in radio for the past eight years. His first job was with KAAR, broadcasting from the former Tower Mall. That radio station has gone out of business. He has also had stints with KFIR in Sweet Home, Ore., KWBY in Woodburn, Ore., and KLOG in Longview.

Gaule said KJGY will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week and be a community-oriented station serving the north Clark County area. Its format will consist of classic rock ‘n’ roll and oldies” of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.

The demographic target area is in the 25- to 45-year age group, and Gaule hopes to reach 3,000 people daily.

Advertising rates will be modest, ranging from $5.40 for a single 30-second spot to $3,850 for 730 commercials, twice a day for a year.

Gaule said he had a personal collection of 2,000 recordings dating from 1952 to 1979, which he will use for the station’s music library.

Gaule is licensed as a carrier current station” broadcasting via alternating current lines instead of using a broadcast tower. It is similar to low-power radio stations on many college campuses in the United States.

Gaule said he would get additional coverage of the Battle Ground area by using the school system’s access channel.

He said the station would provide for local community news as well as coverage of the local high school sports and other school news.

I feel there are no stations in the area that are concentrating on Battle Ground enough,” he said. This is a booming area and a growing town. We’re going to concentrate on being local, local, local.”

Gaule said, I feel obligated to the community. The reception has just been tremendous from the people and the business community. They stop me on the street and say what a great thing this is for Battle Ground.”

His first big news story came while testing equipment in the studio. A friend called and said she had heard on the radio scanner that Mount St. Helens had vented some steam.

I got right on the microphone and broadcast the news,” he said. I told people not to panic, that it didn’t appear a serious explosion.”

Gaule has the backing of his mother. I’m where the money is,” she said. I thought it was a good project and gives him something to do. I might even get a few pennies back someday.”

Earlier last month, station KMJK-AM and KMJK-FM decided to discontinue the broadcasting of St. Helens boys basketball games and all other local Clark County broadcasting.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I consider The Oregonian to be a trusted, mainstream news source. However, there are two things about the 1991 that do not pass the “smell test” to me. First, the FCC does not license carrier current stations. Second, there is no way that a carrier-current system could distribute a signal over an entire community because AC distribution transformers do not pass AM broadcast signals. When carrier current technology was popular on college campuses, stations had to use a power line coupler at each transformer.

Here is a link to an archived discussion from this board with more information: http://archive.pdxradio.com/2009-14/topic/new-station-in-vancouver

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

http://radio1430.tripod.com/gbr.html

Now it is my turn and opinion(my opinion)I have noticed that some parties is still continuing “checking” to see if I am still on the air re; AM 1700(No)well it is like this,have something better to do,I was not a pirate, you are nosy,still harassing me. I bought the AM system as it was,I feel that I was wrongly judged and treated like a common criminal. I meant no harm,I should have fought this,people will not let up…so if you are so bored and have nothing else to do,be my guest and snoop,check it out,ooohh I am so bad,I am going to corrupt the airwaves..ooooooooo…I know bold,how dare I,enough is enough,stop it,stop the phone calls,the emails and such,stop wasting your time and move on..I will fight this…and to some on pdxradio.com get a life worry about other criminals and assume all microbroadcasters are bad,they are not..if it continues I will take this to court and stop the harassment..
    This is dedicated to you dear FCC Field Agent in Vancouver Wa.. Have you seen the bigger piggies In their starched white shirts You will find the bigger piggies Stirring up the dirt Always have clean shirts to play around in.
    In their sties with all their backing They don’t care what goes on around In their eyes there’s something lacking What they need’s a damn good whacking.
    Everywhere there’s lots of piggies Living piggy lives You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon.
    (typos untouched for perspective)

Holy fuck. My brain turned into gel trying to make any sense of that tirade (and my phone line nearly caught fire downloading that page.)

Dude, lighten up. You’re really overthinking this and overreacting. It’s just speculation on a discussion board. Don’t take it seriously. It makes me wonder how you’d react to something like Facebook or Re-edit. If you don’t like what you’re reading here, go somewhere else. It’s as simple as that. What do you do if you don’t like what you’re seeing on TV? You change the channel. With 3 billion Web pages currently in circulation it’s not hard to find something more to your liking. Use a search engine if you have to.

Also please read a book on basic HTML and web design. It’s not hard to learn. If nothing else, please do everybody a favor and make more liberal use of your enter key. It’s there for a reason.

Second, there is no way that a carrier-current system could distribute a signal over an entire community because AC distribution transformers do not pass AM broadcast signals. When carrier current technology was popular on college campuses, stations had to use a power line coupler at each transformer.

Exactly. Now just as 26 years ago, Boregonian reporters pull “facts” out of their asses and have no clue what they’re writing about. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I wonder if they had carrier current confused with cable FM. BGTV (“the school system’s access channel.“) was (still is?) a cable TV channel originating at the county headend near the mall that probably carried local FM broadcasting over its audio channel when not carrying instructional programming. (BGTV is a public-access service targeting schools similar to the ESD112 Educational Television Consortium’s “TV ETC” feeds.) The NTSC audio channel is not exactly “cable FM” in the most technical sense of the term (broadcast stations carried via wire in the 88-108 MHz spectrum) but was often used as a supplement to it in a way similar to channel 6 in a few places today. It’s a very obvious difference but I guess when you’re a hack commercial journalist with no rudimentary training or familiarity with these (now very ancient) technologies, they’re all one and the same in your mind.

Commercial journalists should not be relied upon to have a basic understanding of technology or people involved with it. Just ask Kevin Mitnick.

radiogeek
    Participant

With this guy’s paranoia and feelings of persecution, he ought to program KBOO’s second online channel.

semoochie
    Participant

Since it was 49 years ago, many people may not realize that he was quoting “Piggies” from the Beatles white album. I believe that the article was simply an interview with Mr. Gaule and didn’t look for any background information about what was and wasn’t allowed. I was thinking that he must have graduated from high school in more like 1972 because I thought he was pretty close to my age. He would occasionally hang around KKEY in what seems like shortly after I started and I don’t remember him being a child.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

With this guy’s paranoia and feelings of persecution, he ought to program KBOO’s second online channel.

Yeah, and you know what else, I’m sure they’ve got to still have a lonely, unused 67 kHz exciter collecting dust at the transmitter site, don’t they?

Hey, Gerry, there you go. Want to get back on the air? Make a deal with the KBOO Foundation and chances are you could score a nice, clear subcarrier all for yourself. You can then feed it via stream or however and you’ll be on the air to an entire region (at least out to to Hood River since they have a repeater there that I know passes SCA signals.) Put up a link to http://metrosonix.com/ and tell people to go there to find a radio to hear it. Yes I am serious. Since you’ll be on SCA go onto Sleazebay or Amazon and grab a few of the old Muzak “Stimulus Progression” 33s and work them into your programming, to keep it real. Say hello to Dr. Elving since his spirit will be watching over you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.