1640 KDZR Off the Air

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

The engineering document’s page headings were misleading. In the body of the “unbuilt proposal” … ..

” KPDQ is presently licensed to operate on 800 kilohertz with a power of 1.0 kilowatts daytime and 0.5 kilowatts nighttime. Both modes of operation utilize a nondirectional
    antenna. The instant application proposes to construct one new tower at the current site for incorporation into the night array. It is proposed to operate with a two-tower array at a power level of 1.0 kilowatts during nighttime hours. No changes are proposed to the daytime operation.”

(The antenna diagram also showed 1 kw night..)

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I now wonder why the Salem people didn’t think of diplexing 1640 with 800 sooner. This will give 1640 a better signal on the Westside, and if Salem is successful in selling KDZR, the buyers will have to pay tower rent to Salem.

semoochie
    Participant

I beg your pardon. The modified permit was for 600 watts.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Clearly the reason why it never got built. 100 more watts that would cost a ton of dough and provide hardly any more coverage. In fact there would be a loss of listeners in the nulls that might be greater than any gains E-W. Not to mention the hoops you have to go through to put up a new tower in what is now a residential area.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In my recollection, somebody on this board stated, circa 2003, that the reason that KPDQ did not add an additional tower was that people in the neighborhood objected.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KPDQ is directional at night now? I thought they only had 500 w because they could not put up that second tower.
    It looks like the Portland metro area has three silent AM stations now. 1330, 1550, and 1640. Out here on the North Coast I noticed 1130 is back on but considerably weaker than in the past. Are they operating with low power? 1330 during the day has KGRG alone. They get out well with only 500 watts.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KPDQ still has only one tower. The second was never built.

Don’t forget to add 1360 to the silent AM list. They were on briefly a few weeks ago, but they have been experiencing technical difficulties, according to this forum. It is now a no man’s land between KLYC and KBNP.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks. That is what I thought. Yes, back in the 1970s KPDQ went off and everyone listened to KGO 810. I think they made #2 in the Portland ratings! I forgot about KUIK. I noticed Tacoma was alone on the channel today. I don’t think Portland Metro has ever had so many silent stations on AM.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.