1640 KDZR Off the Air

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I do not hear much “Patriotic” activity on 1640 today.

Chico
    Participant

You clearly are just not trying hard enough.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

2021 must be the year for Portland/Portland-vicinity mediumwaves going titties-up. First 1550, then 620 and 1190 (unfortunately only temporarily), and now 1640.

Of course, the year is still young…

chessyduck
    Participant

KDZR’s webstream is still up but on the RF front the 1640 DX station locally heard will be KDIA in Vallejo, California. Yes, KDZR is still listed for sale at an unrealistic $750K. Considering that Salem Media bought it from Disney for a third of that price the current owner should shoot for something under $200K.

.My suggestion,.. Make it a semi-satellite of KOMO 1000 Seattle and do some local news inserts.. Portland could use an all-news format station not heard since the days of KYXI.

Chico
    Participant

Interesting suggestion, Chessy, but I doubt Sinclair is going to be doing a lot of investing in radio at the moment….

Borderblaster
    Participant

My suggestion.. Go spew your own brand of localism on your own bands back east..cheesy-dick

semoochie
    Participant

In its final years, KYXI was kept solvent by the success of KGON. When the latter became less successful, the former was done. All News traditionally only works in a handful of huge markets because it relies on very large sampling. Add to that, having to compete with online sources, if you haven’t been on the format for decades, you don’t have a chance. Even the ones that are successful have a limited lifespan!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KDZR returned to the air late this afternoon.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Yesterday, I noted that KDZR is gone again. The daytime AM dial now seems to “end” at 1520 kHz.

When I moved to this area in 1998, I was surprised by how much AM band activity there was here (yet a common refrain from my colleagues was, “I don’t listen to AM; there is nothing there that is worthwhile.”) Now, attrition seems well underway.

boisebill
    Participant

CP Filed for this week to answer all your questions…….
    “KDZR is a Class B, expanded band station, presently licensed to operate on 1640 kHz with a power of 10.0 kW day and 1.0 kW night. Both modes employ a nondirectional antenna.
    KPDQ (AM) is licensed to operate on 800 kHz with a power of 1.0 kW daytime and 0.5 kW nighttime using a nondirectional antenna. The KPDQ (AM) site is located approximately 16.1 kilometers away at a bearing of 279.5 degrees True from the licensed KDZR site. The instant application proposes to co-locate at the KPDQ(AM) site. It is proposed to operate with a nondirectional antenna at a daytime power of 10 kW and nighttime power of 1.0 kW.”

chessyduck
    Participant

An easy technical strategy for Salem Media to accomplish. I am surprised they not did do this earlier. The Hillsdale-area property where KPDQ resides also remains ripe for development. (KDZR is still listed as “for sale” with a $750K pricetag.

.. And Crawford submitted an STA “Silent” request on 9 April because “KKPZ WILL SUSPEND OPERATIONS ON APRIL 30 FOR A PERIOD DURING WHICH IT WILL SEEK A BUYER FOR THE STATION.”

W7PAT
    Participant

Cheesyduck, I like your idea but I wonder if it wouldn’t be a better fit for 1550 since it is licensed to Vancouver. During the 5 minutes or so of ABC news at the top of the hour, they could have Clark County news.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Shhhhhh. Do not give anybody any ideas. I’m finally enjoying my quiet phone line and there not being any spurs on shortwave!

chessyduck
    Participant

Oh no! Technically we’ll have three AM stations in Washington County as the KPDQ site is 0.58 kilometers west of the county line.

I am sure the KGO-listening neighbors were not happy when KPDQ lit up that nighttime power. They’ll enjoy those extra 10 kilowatts from KDZR.

Apparently at one point KPDQ even was going to build a second tower for directional nighttime operation at 1kw. The FCC approved it in 2003 and would have given an East-West pattern protecting XEROK:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=100657368&qnum=5130&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

semoochie
    Participant

500 watts directional

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.