Tagged: , ,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    W7PAT
    Participant

So, I must have missed the notice. When did 1550 go dark?
    I noticed it isn’t on the air and Radio-Locator no longer lists them.

Broadway
    Participant

Covid 19 reason given

washnotore
    Participant

The station transmitter has been offline for awhile. And therefore hasn’t been able to get repair work done.

Here is what the station owner from San Jose, Calif recently reported to FCC this time around.

The Station is going silent due to difficulties created by the COVID-19 virus.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by washnotore.
    boisebill
    Participant

Broadcast techs are not restricted at all from traveling. Know of quite a few that have even been flying all over the country.

semoochie
    Participant

Gee whiz, I worked for three radio stations in my life and two of them are currently dark!

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t airchecked it myself! That would explain the suddenly very low noise floor on my mom’s phone line the last couple weeks.

Broadcast techs are not restricted at all from traveling. Know of quite a few that have even been flying all over the country.

Like everybody else, they’re just using it as a quick and convenient excuse. Can’t let a good crisis go to waste.

chessyduck
    Participant

Gosh – The dead air takes me back to my younger days when then-KGAR 1550 was a 1kw daytimer. DX channels now heard on the silent channel are mix of Reno, San Francisco and (perhaps) KRPI in Blaine, WA.

I remember when 1550 fired up the 10kw.. In Washington County the nighttime skywave was a mess, just rotate the ferrite bar to null out Vancouver, Washington.

BTW, ethnic radio has really been hard hit by CV19. National Viet Radio pulled their HD2 lease back in Washington DC , which serves a huge Vietnamese community.

BTW2, the first Vietnamese radio program on the Portland airwaves was heard on KBOO back – 1976 at least perhaps as early as 1975.

semoochie
    Participant

Before KGAR went nighttime, KKHI San Francisco was loud and clear every night!

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Face it, even though there is a considerable Vietnamese population in this region it’s not like 24-hour Vietnamese talk is exactly a huge seller in this market as a full-time radio format. It’s a small niche. That, and considering the KKOV transmitter’s generally shitty coverage into the most critical part of its target market (south of the river), I can’t imagine that Mr Tron was making enough ad money off it to keep the PUD bill paid.

BTW2.5, KBOO had Vietnamese programming on the 92 kHz SCA from the mid-2000s until probably the last couple years or so.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KKOV has seen unresolved technical problems since Intelli bought the station. I do not speak Vietnamese, so I only listened briefly once in a while. When I did, I almost always heard a “buzz-buzz-buzz” and interruptions in the audio that sounded like some kind of problem with how the station delivered its audio to the transmitter site.

When I heard that KKOV had left the air, I tried to see what was on the frequency. The strongest signal is KGMZ from San Francisco, which runs a dance music format called “Channel Q.” Occasionally, KRPI from Bremerton, WA is heard.

semoochie
    Participant

KRPI is licensed to Ferndale. That’s near Bellingham, not Bremerton. It came onto the scene after what is now KKOV.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Takes me back a long time too. I remember the old 1 KWer KGAR that was in that house in Vancouver WA. Then they moved to 10th and Burnside, right across the street from KISN to try to compete with a 5Ker powerhouse that covered the Metro area well. KGAR would be lost at sunrise or sunset driving across the bridge from Vancouver. With only 500 watts at that hour, San Francisco knocked their peanut whistle for a loop.

chessyduck
    Participant

Those were the days.. Besides the KGAR-KISN as neighbours KKEY sat in the same vicinity in that funny trapezoid-shaped building… closer to present-day Powell’s..

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was wrong. The ID that I heard pop in briefly under the Channel Q programming the other day did say Ferndale.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.