107.5 Strongest on the North Coast

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio 107.5 Strongest on the North Coast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Does anyone know why the only Portland FM station I can get on the North Coast in HD, is 107.5? Most of the time they are pretty stable, which some others need good conditions to lock. Does 107.5 have an unusual pattern or better transmitter site?
    I am using the Sony HD Radio with a Korner 9.2 antenna (9 elements).
    Thanks.

jr_tech
    Participant

Congratulations on getting the Korner up! Was wondering about its condition during the windstorm.

Wish I had a spectrum analyzer, because I really do not have a good measure of the hd strength of the various stations. KINK as well as others share the same master antenna at the Sylvan site, and the KINK analog power higher than KXJM (100kW vs 70kW) but the KINK hd power is not *necessarily* higher.

Edit add: For what it’s worth, a “measurement” (from Hillsboro) of signal strength at the upper edge of the KXJM hd carriers (107.6985mHz) is the highest of any of the Portland HD stations (20 over S-9) vs 10 over 9 for KINK (@102.0985mHz) using my Icom 8500 and a disk cone antenna.

jr

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks. Even though the Korner 9.2 is pretty sturdy, during extremely high winds, I will still take it down. I am pretty impressed with the results. It does look like 107.5 is using a higher level of HD, as with KING 98.1 Seattle. 88.1 Gleneden Beach OR also uses higher power in HD. 88.1 locks into HD at 1-2 bars on the Sony. Generally it takes 3 bars and even a better signal to get a lock on HD here. I guess there are stations using higher power in HD. There is no HD in Clatsop County.

jr_tech
    Participant

I found this, dated Aug 11 2010:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=20716

In case it does not show up, it is a notification to the FCC that the station (KXJM) has increased the IBOC erp to 2.72 kW. Since the erp of the station is 68kW, I assume that the previous IBOC erp was 680 Watts.

jr

lastday
    Participant

I can usually get a solid HD lock on KXJM here in Eugene. Sony XDR-F1HD with a Winegard HD6055P antenna. And KLTH will often get an HD lock with only a 1-bar signal.

EDIT: KGON 92.3 is getting through somehow right now in spite of KHRB in Harrisburg. That’s on another Sony with a very cheap indoor antenna. Even have usable RBDS/RDS.

jr_tech
    Participant

Found this for KLTH:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=20717

They should have a stronger hd signal than KXJM, but it actually “measures” a bit less at my location (described above). That tiny S meter under the dx cat’s right paw does not have great resolution.
    <<<<<<<<<<

jr

mwdxer1
    Participant

With KLTH 106.7, I do not notice them in HD very often, only 107.5. Strange that some FM signals pop in better with nearly the same power and transmitter site than others. For example I get generally all of the Otter Rock (Lincoln County) FM’s good here at over 100 miles, except 96.7 KCRF Lincoln City. They run more power that some of the others, yet they are garbled, like some sort of multi-path, yet the others do not have that issue. 88.1 KOQC is so strong and good 99% in HD.
    Also I was under the misconception that I was getting Coos Bay regularly. Yes, many were pretty regular in the Summer, but when the weather changed a few weeks ago, the Coos Bay signals for the most part disappeared. We must had been getting constant Trops all Summer. I even I got KOOS 107.3 strong on the van radio coming back into Clatsop County, at far as North of Cannon Beach. I was down there on Saturday, not a peep out of any Coos Bay stations, on the van radio. FM reception on the coast can be odd. KJR 95.7 and KING 98.1 Seattle are the only HD I get regularly from Puget Sound. Others come and go.
    The Korner 9.2 I do take down in high winds, as a precaution. It is built well, but our winds can destroy a good antenna easily. I lost my Windgard 6065 years ago. I wish I still had it. The Korner has good Forward gain, but not as good as the 6065. Probably more like the 6055, but the F/B excels in the 30-34 DB range. Now using it, pointing the 9.2 South,many channels I get nothing on. It really knocks a lot of the North/Northeast out. I may try to phase two FM antennas in the future as I have done with MW. I even heard a lp translator on Otter Crest the other day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.