1059 The brew- needs a music director badly!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio 1059 The brew- needs a music director badly!

This topic contains 42 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

Kisn would play Ramblin Gamblin Man and I’m pretty sure I’ve heard it. They play just about anything that charted after 1955 and some things that didn’t. It’s supposed to be an Oldies station albeit with a large playlist. Noncharting Album Rock would negate that purpose.

radiodork
    Participant

I agree with Vit, The Brew wont even touch the New Metallica album, yet we will hear “The unforgiven” 20 times a day on the Brew. I know plenty of classic rock stations around the country that are playing tracks off the New Metallica album. The saddest part is that Metallica is coming to town, The brew is giving away tickets yet ignoring their new album. Portland needs to give the Brew a new direction musically because hearing “Every rose has its thorn” or “living on a prayer” wont keep that station afloat.
    I would bet the Brew doesnt even have a music director because the titles never change they play the same songs every day. I find it hard that a music director would just sit and let the same titles play every day without atleast mixing them around and adding some different titles.
    Oh and by the way, Im still hearing an edited version of “Livin on the edge” by Aerosmith. Its cringe worthy the way a good 2 mins are removed from the song. Can you not get an album version of that song Brew, instead of playing the half assed edited version of “livin on the edge”??? That station is a mess, musically, they need someone who knows and understands the format to come in and remove the “Mold” tracks from the station.
    Here are the tracks that are oozing with mold that the Brew needs to stop playing ASAP
    Lynyrd Skynard- sweet home Alabama
    Bon Jovi “livin on a prayer” and “you give love a bad name”
    and “wanted dead or alive”-Give us a break from Bon Jovi Please!!
    Queen “Another one bites the dust”
    Aerosmith “ragdoll”
    Styx “renegade”
    Poison “every rose has its thorn”
    Scorpions “Rock you like a hurricane”
    Audioslave “i am the Highway”- You have been playing that exact Audioslave song for the past 2 years. Can you play anything else from Audioslave??????
    Nine Inch Nails- “Closer”- NIN had lots of hits, is that the only NIN song you can play???? Seriously Brew they had other songs.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I know plenty of classic rock stations around the country that are playing tracks off the New Metallica album.

If these are classic rock stations, why are they playing new music? That is breaking the format.

The Brew is Budweiser!
    (KXRY is Pabst Blue Ribbon.)

paulwalker
    Participant

A classic rock station playing new music from classic rock artists has been tried before, and failed.

Not saying it couldn’t be successful, but in general, this doesn’t work. Classic rock fans like the familiararity of their favorite tracks. I suppose the analogy would be when a classic rock artist in concert tries to offer new music, but 99% of the fans are there to hear their favorite classics.

Paul_Tilton
    Participant

I’m reluctant to chime in ‘cuz it’s the argument that never ends. It’s a matter of “Music Enthusiasts” vs. “The average radio listener”. It’s not much different than “liberal” vs. “conservative”; You’re probably never going to get the two sides to agree on very much at all, no matter how much they argue.

Corporate radio is programmed for the masses. It has to be. The reason stations use catchy slogans, (positioning statements) and names like “Brew” instead of their call letters is because the majority (research I read once put it at 90+%) of listeners couldn’t tell you what station they are tuned to at any given time. Most could not name the last song they heard, even if it WAS one they loved. Music Enthusiasts can. Average listeners can’t.

When I programmed a Classic Rock station, the playlist was very different from what my ipod would have had. Even though as formats go, I preferred to listen to Classic Rock. Because I am a music enthusiast. I pay attention to what I’m listening to. The average listener just wants to be in their comfort zone. If they hear something they are unfamiliar with when they’re listening for a station that doesn’t focus on current music, they will often times tune out. The research has proved it since Rick Sklar first programmed a station to only play the “top 40”. That phrase didn’t initially mean “current hits”. It meant the 40 most popular songs of just about any genre based on local record sales and the stations request logs.

The mention of non-profit vs. commercial was an interesting comparison. Non-profits typically don’t program for ratings. Which is why they generally fall short of commercial numbers though. Albeit, with a smaller and smaller variance.

Life is MUCH different today than it was in the 70’s / 80’s. There was no internet. You couldn’t download music. Cassette tapes and 45’s were the only real way to build your own music library without buying every album that had a song you liked on it and neither made “shuffling” all your music even remotely simple.

Music radio will likely never again see the kinds of numbers they once had (either TSL or Cume). Just like no auto maker is likely to have another car that sold like the 64/65 Mustang and no internet service provider will never have the market share AOL had in the 90’s with a dial-up service. It’s simply the evolution of things.

All that said, can you keep Classic Rock formats fresh? I think so. The idea of making only about 50% of your library active at any one time, rotating 10-20% of those in and out of rotation every month or so is one tried and true (and laborious!) way. So is adding currents by classic artists. But they MUST “feel” like songs the artist did when they were cranking out the hits. New material from artists like Springsteen, Benatar, Stones, etc. just don’t feel like the stuff that made them famous, in my opinion.

As far as profitability, my thoughts are that corporate radio did this to themselves by continuing to pay more and more $$ to gain market share regardless of whether the station made enough revenue to justify the pricetag. Allowing ownership of multiple FM’s and AM’s in the same market had something to do with it too, but what Wall Street investor buys a stock for $10 that he knows will never be worth more than $10 and never expects it to pay dividends? None in their right mind, but that’s exactly what happened in the 90’s and beyond.

This was supposed to be my two cents and has turned in to my buck and a quarter. The bottom line is that yes, classic formats should stay active to keep their playlists sounding as fresh as possible and yes, music enthusiasts will never be satisfied listening to radio to satisfy their musical cravings and yes, far right and far left wing individuals should not marry.

semoochie
    Participant

Paul, your story sounds more like that of Todd Storz in 1952 than Rick Sklar. Wasn’t he the WABC programmer?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that you ended up answering most of your own questions in that last post, Radiodork.

I was reminded that in the late 1950s and early 1960s, there were commercially sponsored classical, fine arts, and easy listening stations on FM in many cities across the country. The first two were a marketplace failure, while the last was extremely successful (even though its critics might have found the music to be “saccharine”). Today, the only way that classical and fine arts formats go on the radio is if they are subsidized by listener contributions or grants.

Jay Mackin
    Participant

I passed your thoughts along to Sarge. His response: “Scoreboard.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I made a major goof in that I mistakenly attibuted Paul Tilton’s post to Radiodork.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am now listening to KNRQ. About 1/2 of the playlist appears to be moldy goldie oldies for Gen-X. It is almost as if the grunge era never ended.

radiodork
    Participant

Even more Bizarre than The Brew’s moldy playlist, is the fact that k103, The BRew, and Khits all share a ton of music. For instance 1059 the brew now plays “livin on a prayer” every morning at the same time, I always hear it on the way to work. K103 also plays Livin on a prayer, 106.7 plays “livin on a prayer. All 3 stations which are completely different formats share a ton of music.
    All 3 stations play Def Leppard, poison, Night Ranger, U2, joan jett.
    Whats the point of having 3 stations in a cluster that all sound the same and share a ton of music? I will guess and say at least 50% of The Brews playlist is shared with k103, and khits. The brew plays a ton of the generic rock songs that are safe enough for k103 and khits- like “poor some sugar on me” and “every rose has its thorn.”

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.

Andy Brown
    Participant

dork, you can’t make any more sense out of corporate malfeasance then you can drumpf’s malfeasance. Stop trying.

Having said that, it’s clear to most that the reason you see songs across playlists across formats is because those songs have been ‘tested’ and ‘focus grouped’ and the consultant/corporate programmer gets ‘legal’ payola for keeping it in the rotations of as many stations as possible. It’s not a mystery.

Follow the money.

semoochie
    Participant

Sometimes, one of the main differences between stations is what they don’t play. It’s perfectly reasonable that a 30 year old popular rock song would appeal to listeners of Classic Rock, Classic Hits and Adult Contemporary stations. KINK and Charlie probably play them too.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.