1059 The brew- needs a music director badly!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio 1059 The brew- needs a music director badly!

This topic contains 42 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

radiodork
    Participant

Not sure if they have a music director or not but that station is sounding so stale musically. The same tiresome classic rock songs are played non-stop with no variety. Somebody needs to get in and mix the music around adding some different titles to the mix and playing some different artists. They have been sitting on the same titles for way too long.
    Come on Brew its time to rotate the music around for people that listen to the station everyday.

e_dawg
    Participant

Can they shift their music to active rock instead of classic rock.

radiodork
    Participant

That would be a great idea, but instead they continue to play these worn out songs like poison’s Every Rose has its thorn and Rock you like a hurricane by The Scorpions every day. They need a better mix of rock music and it sure would be nice to hear some newer rock in the mix instead of “We will Rock you” by Queen. At times Im wondering am i even listening to a rock station, the other day I heard “Mony mony” by Billy Idol. I had to cringe when i heard the song because this song doesn’t fit a rock format. Its a song a soft rock station would play.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

It’s Chump Channel. What do you expect? The music is just filler to run out the rest of the hour that they couldn’t sell for commercials. Who cares about programming a compelling and engaging musical format?

Seriously, most or all of the CC stations’ entire music libraries could probably be compiled into 4- or 6-CD sets with little effort.

semoochie
    Participant

This is the last of the Classic Rock. Anything past 1990 won’t survive on its own and the best way to shorten its lifespan is to add a lot of nonconsensus songs.

radiodork
    Participant

I think its the programmers that are killing off Classic rock radio. By playing the same 10 songs over and over is going to drive anyone away from a station. How many times can a station play “You shook me all night long: by ACDC or Bon Jovi “livin on a prayer” until someone commits radio suicide? And to be honest I cant blame them. Classic rock is offering NOTHING to listeners except the same tiresome classic rock songs that people are sick and tired of hearing. The Brew desperately needs a music enema to flush out all these Stale classic rock songs that have gotten caught in the radio bowels.

semoochie
    Participant

Radio is not programmed for anyone who spends a great deal of time listening. It’s programmed for the masses who listen for short spurts. In order to keep them interested, they have to hear their favorite songs everytime they tune in or they’ll leave and possibly never come back. A song that you find repetitive, the average listener might not have heard for several weeks and be delighted to hear it!

Screamer
    Participant

How deep do you think their library is? 700 songs deep? You would think 1200 would be the minimum. You hear about stations who claim to have 12000 songs and in reality they play about 500 and ‘hopefully’ mix in some currents/recurrents. Old school radio, they taught us to try to keep people for a minimum three hour cume. With attention spans and competition from pandora, I get shortening things. I just don’t understand how you can be so stuck on research and not cater the playlist to the local market.

semoochie
    Participant

Cume refers to the total amount of people who listen to a given station. Did you mean TSL(time spent listening)? If so, three hours is an unrealistic figure for an average.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

About 10 years ago, a participant on this forum made an estimate of how much “gold” various Portland area station were playing. Recently, I created my own list, and I think that the amount of gold has increased:

1260 KLYC – all gold
    1450 KBPS – about 1/2 gold
    1550 KKOV – all gold
    89.1 KMHD – some gold
    92.3 KGON – all gold
    94.7 KNRK – perhaps 1/3 gold
    95.1 KISN-LP – all gold
    97.1 KYCH – about 2/3 gold
    98.3 KFFD-LP – all gold
    100.7 KQRZ-LP – all gold
    101.9 KINK – about 1/2 gold
    105.9 KFBW – all gold
    106.3 KLOO – all gold
    106.7 KLTH – all gold
    107.1 K296FT (repeats 91.1 KXRY) – about 1/2 gold
    107.5 KXJM – some gold

The entire radio dial glitters with gold–beautiful gold!! This makes sense. Songs that have been out for a while have more audience research behind them, so it is less risky to play them.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Actually, Alfredo, a lot of what you label as ‘gold’ isn’t really gold as in gold record sales volume. Perhaps if you left the ‘g’ off the word it would be more accurate.

A lot of corporate programmed stations play music that has been ‘tested’ in focus groups, etc. and in fact was never a real popular seller when it was released or even thereafter. Some ‘old’ music takes years to go ‘gold’ and still never made corporate radio lists.

“Radio is not programmed for anyone who spends a great deal of time listening.”

Certainly not corporate owned radio, but that doesn’t apply to many non com full service stations and hardly applies to non com secondary service stations (LPFM, Class D’s).

If the music begins to sound stale, dork, you’ve discovered one of the reasons why chump channel is so deeply in debt. You have to connect the dots, but radio in the 70’s and 80’s had people listening all day long. How do you think K103 used to maintain such high numbers? Mobile audiences are the listeners semoochie refers to but back then there were plenty of housewives listening to Craig Walker on their FM receivers or table radios at home all morning/afternoon long. How do you think KINK built its reputation in the 70’s? People listened at home. The internet now dominates in the offices and kitchens. The notion that it’s all about 15 minute comes is only valid when you are talking about mainstream slop radio whether it be current country, soft rock, classic rock . . . whatever because that is the current paradigm for most all corporate crap coming out of the commercial stations. Even the corporate alternative stations are guilty of rotating songs too frequently. Unfortunately, there currently is nothing to be found between corporate swill in the format of your choice and full head on eclectic madness.

Radio was much better before the government let owners buy up so many stations.

W7PAT
    Participant

Define “Gold”. Used to be the definition of oldies that sold a million copies or more. I would define “Gold” as 60’s, 70’s, and early 80’s pop music. “The Brew” seems to play a lot of 90’s Rock with a few 70’s and 80’s music mixed in, but not enough to make me want to listen.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Please don’t overthink the gold. The person who wrote the original list was just playfully using the word as a slang term for recurrents. He or she was commenting on how a number of stations were starting to play more older songs (say, from 1999 or before, rather than music currently on the charts). Yes, I would be tempted to replace “gold” with “old” or “mold.”

Screamer
    Participant

Yes, Semoochie. I misspoke. I was referring to TSL. When I was schooled on programming, the PD at the time emparted (sp?) to us that the goal was to program the music and entertainment (you know, that ‘show’ live jocks used to do) to keep and hold an audience for three hours. With all the forms of entertainment we have now, three hours is unrealistic.

The question I am still hoping to get answered is – how deep do you think the Brew’s catalogue is?

paulwalker
    Participant

From a radio standpoint, “gold” is a term used for oldies that were hits. It really has never meant anything more or less. A gold title could be something from 2014 for a Top40, or from 1999 for an AC. It really is just a radio slang term that is mostly meaningless, but a way categorizing different eras.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.