104.5 Now Spanish

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

The Gorge is a tough area administratively – You have the Gorge Scenic Area, along with Mt Hood and Gifford Pinchot National Forests managing sites and limiting new construction. KXXP already is short-spaced with co-channel KLSW near Seattle so KXXP can’t move across the Columbia River to Washington for a site offering better contours towards Portland.

Bummer. The Comm Site Management Plan was approved by the USFS in December, 2014. KXXP did not win the Auction 98 Moro, Oregon allocation until August , 2015. You do the math.

semoochie
    Participant

Don’t hold me to this but I believe that one tenth of the power will give you half the FM coverage, all else being equal. I only bring this up incase a more qualified person doesn’t respond.

DarkStar
    Participant

Fun fact: The USFS charges rent based on your TPO (transmitter power output). Looks like someone from the USFS finally took a look at the license for KXXP and is asking for more money.

chessyduck
    Participant

The FCC quickly granted the Engineering STA on 7/27. Here is a copy of the FCC correspondence to Jackman Holding’s legal team. (The current owners are broadcast-centric lawyers from Northern Virginia.)

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=98842

pdx5810
    Participant

Interestingly, the asset purchase agreement for KXXP acknowledges the power limitation on Mt Defiance, but say the Forest Service is open to allowing the increase in power.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/views/public/assignmentDraftCopy?displayType=html&appKey=25076ff379c983c80179e86ac2373763&id=25076ff379c983c80179e86ac2373763&goBack=N

chessyduck
    Participant

The “Communications Site Management Plans” published by Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service, etc. that spell out power restrictions on government-controlled mountaintops unfortunately are no longer posted on the Internet. If there is a particular site you want to explore further you have to reach out the regional offices for a copy.

The reason behind this “removal” is critical infrastructure protection in our post 9-11 world.

chessyduck
    Participant

Jackman Holding on 8/27 filed on a proposal to downgrade KXXP to a Class C2 at 500 watts! The application mentions potential interference to other Mt.Defiance users.

Read it here:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f917b7aba14017b8037b0530320

If this holds true I wonder if Amador Bustos will still want this station?

boisebill
    Participant

Forest Service does own sites that have full power stations on them. Like Deer Point NE of Boise with 20 FMs 10~52 kW ERP and 6 full power TVs.
    But the site has been in use by broadcasters since 1954, is reserved for that purpose, and a money maker for them.

chessyduck
    Participant

I ran the pop-count numbers. The old 60dBu contour had 566,000 in it. The new 60dBu numbers dropped to 64,000. Ouch!

The new 60dBU contour still reaches out to Slacker Butte, east of The Dalles.

chessyduck
    Participant

I did some listening today down Oregon 99W from Portland to McMinnville. For supposedly jusr 500 watts ERP the KXXP signal still reaches at least Newberg, much more than one would expect for such a serious power drop from 4.9kw to 0.5kw ERP

semoochie
    Participant

OK, isn’t this the station that switched to Christian Hip-hop? I listened Thursday and it sounded like Spanish Christian Contemporary! I also noticed that it was coming in fine in eastern Vancouver, which makes me wonder if they reduced power at all. I was thinking that they ran low power until filing the application and are just waiting for it to go through.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

The Master of Disaster has a cheap clock radio of calamity that could receive KXXP during the “Me TV FM” format. No sign of it this morning. However, over the last year or so the transmitter seems like it’s been off the air more often.

chessyduck
    Participant

Heard in McMinnville this morning, KXXP is definitely not Spanish-Christian with lyrics mentioning “muveven las nalgas”, etc. Yup, the Urbana still lives.

Now if Bustos could just figure put how to audio fed to 1130 AM Mt.Angel, ranked #1 rated dead-air format station in the area. 25 kiloeatts of wasted power…

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When I volunteered at a university station in the mid 1990s, we had a student DJ who was nicknamed the “Dead Air Duck” due to his propensity for wanting to let each song play to the end, followed by a pause before starting the next one. This spawned a variety of duck jokes. The Dead Air Duck has now found a home on 1130 kHz!

semoochie
    Participant

Apparently, I have jumped to a conclusion about KXXP being Spanish Christian Contemporary but what happened to the recently debuted national format of English speaking Christian Hip-hop, which it definitely was within the last two weeks because I heard it, myself?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.