104.5 Now Spanish

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

When KXXP first launched, a PDXradio contributor thankfully posted a Longley-Rice terrain-enhanced coverage plot showing many gaps in their coverage area. The irregular terrain near Gresham, Sandy, etc. contributes to these signal gaps.

I wonder if Bustos Media will try to deploy on-channel boosters in the Multnomah and Clackamas counties that fall within the offical 60dBu contour? Their metro Seattle outlet, KDDS, has four boosters at present. Tower rents must be a killer though.

(The big KXXP shadow area is Beaverton but that falls outside the 60dB contour.)

The KXXP price drop from $850K to $700K (with favorable terms) should also put further downward price pressure on the KDZR property currently on the market locally.

W7PAT
    Participant

KDZR has quite the signal at night for 1kW. On the SDRs, you can hear it in Alberta, BC, Montana. To the South the Bay Area station is dominant.

chessyduck
    Participant

Bustos added the KXXP logo to its LaRadiodePortland.com website and “La Rola” Android app today. Absent are any logo adjustments to “La Pantera 940” graphics now that 1130 Mount Angel is running in parallel to AM 940. (I suspect the 1130 content is temporary until Bustos can find some other ethnic programming provider, e.g. Russian, Vietnamese. In the San Jose market he brokered out his KZSJ AM 1120 to carry Vietnamese programming.)

boisebill
    Participant

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by boisebill. Reason: delete
    boisebill
    Participant

This one: 99.9
    “BUSTOS MEDIA HOLDINGS, LLC, APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR FM TRANSLATOR STATION K260DK, PORTLAND, OREGON. FCC rescinds grant of application for construction permit for K260DK, Portland, Oregon and dismisses application pursuant to section 74.1204(f) of the rules. Action by: the Commission. Adopted: 2020-10-13 by MO&O. (FCC No. 20-144). MB”

chessyduck
    Participant

Thank you. (The site FCCdata.org showed the old status as still a CP with MISC losing a decision back in 2018 but not the 2020 final decree.)

Given that decision, KOOR could be sold off as an AM-only as there is no translator tied to it. Of course, Bustos paid $1 million for this daytimer back in 2003; perhaps it has depreciated sufficiently by now. The market value can’t be more than $200K.

semoochie
    Participant

I can’t believe there’s a 5KW non-directional on 1120 in San Jose! There’s a 50KW in San Francisco on 1100!

Chico
    Participant

1120 is licensed to San Martin and is way the heck SE of San Jose. The 1100 50kw in SF is fairly highly directional away from San Jose. Seems pretty well engineered not to cause each other problems.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KZSJ 1120 puts most of its signal out over the Pacific Ocean. During the day, it’s entire major lobe is over water with only the minor lobe over land.

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/current/DAYTIME-UNLIMITED/DAYTIME-UNLIMITED_1120KHz-1.html

Nighttime:

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/current/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED_1120KHz-1.html

The same is true for KFAX 1100. It, too, puts the lion’s share of its coverage over the ocean.

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/current/DAYTIME-UNLIMITED/DAYTIME-UNLIMITED_1100KHz-1.html

Nightime on 1100 is a lot more complicated and I won’t even begin to try and explain what’s going on. See for yourself:

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/current/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED_1100KHz-1.html

chessyduck
    Participant

The KZSJ AM daytime contour is sufficient to permit Bustos a 60-watt cross-service translator in South San Jose (upgrade CP to 60 watts, currently less).

Speaking of AMs. I see KOOR has to drop power during critical hours.. I have been unable to find the details but I assume it is some PSA and PSSA arrangement to prevent interference with CBC Calgary.

chessyduck
    Participant

Bustos’ IT crew continues at work. “Urbana 1010” now has been removed from ther “La Rola” app with just “Urbana 104.5” appearing. LaRadiodePortland website still lists both stations…

boisebill
    Participant

Lic KOOR(AM) NDD 1010 1.1 kW Critical Hrs

chessyduck
    Participant

Filed: 07/26/2021 with the FCC.

Jackman Holding Company, the current license holder of KXXP 104.5 has filed an Engineering STA.

It states:

“JACKMAN HOLDING COMPANY, LLC, REQUESTS SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY TO OPERATE KXXP AT A REDUCED ERP OF 500 W AT THE REQUEST OF THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE PENDING RESOLUTION OF ISSUES INVOLVING THE KXXP TOWER SITE ON MT. DEFIANCE, OREGON.”

Arghhh!!! Had anyone bothered to read the “Mount Defiance USFS Communications Site Management Plan” they would have seen that there is a 500-watt ERP limit on the mountaintop site. Plain as day!

Did someone not do their due diligence when examining that mountain as an FM broadcast site? (So KXXP has dropped from 4900 watts ERP to just 500 watts ERP – the signal still should cover Hood River quite well.)

If you haven’t noticed the BLM, NPS, and USFS have been cracking down on rogue power-exceeding broadcast sites.

semoochie
    Participant

How does this work? The original owner must be at fault but it seems to me that the current owner entered this in good faith and should be able to either sue or get a huge refund! Does it make it to The Dalles? If not, it becomes the worst FM signal in the area and how in the world are they going to sell it? That west hills translator might just be making a comeback.

chessyduck
    Participant

Good News! KXXP 70dBu contour still covers the CoL, White Salmon but westwardly not even Washougal. Yup, definitely a price-lowering event if not resolved.

Play with the numbers yourself at :

https://geo.fcc.gov/api/contours/demo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.