10.4 is coming (PBS Kids)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

ME tv is 720p.

washnotore
    Participant

Anytime a new President or Congress takes office. There’s always a worry. That the axe could fall on PBS funding.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Since the GOP seems to love to leave it up to the states, then OPB (PBS) may have to make other arraignments.The last time I checked OPB wasn’t exactly poor. I do not know how much money they directly get from the government these days. I do know it is a lot less than years ago. I presume that is why there are so many more pledge drives. PBS may have to become a commercial network in time if they no longer can get the support they need. I would not be happy with that, but we live in very uncertain times.

semoochie
    Participant

That would put them into an 18-49 mind frame, just like everyone else!

msndrspdx
    Participant

The R’s have made noises about cutting PBS and NPR funding, along with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, for several years. Each time they even threaten to do so, the public reaction is, “You’re not doing that to my station!” The timing of this bit of noise from our clueless leader is interesting, since about 170 PBS stations across the land have just launched PBS Kids as a 24-hour service, including OPB. PBS and NPR are more needed than ever.

Speaking of PBS Kids, I found it on Comcast Ch. 311 yesterday morning. It’s running in HD, just like OPB+, and it looks and sounds fine. Lots of “Sesame St.,” “Arthur,” “Super Why,” and more. The Broadcast Schedule section of the TV area on the OPB website started showing PBSK listings yesterday. Once the word gets around that it’s on, it should become wildly popular very quickly.

jr_tech
    Participant

Interesting that comcast 311 would have a higher quality signal than OTA… Right now 10-3 (kids) is running 480i standard definition, 4:3 frame, compressed width from 16:9. Using the “wide” button on my remote, the picture can be stretched to a proper width 16:9, which looks pretty good, but it is NOT HD. Does comcast up-convert the signal or get a HD signal directly from KOPB (not OTA)?

mwdxer1
    Participant

The PBS Kids feed may be in HD, where Comcast receives it, before is goes out OTA. That way they could be running an HD signal.

msndrspdx
    Participant

In the analog era, Comcast took a direct-line feed from KATU. They used to be just a few blocks apart on Sandy Blvd. Wonder if it’s still in use? I think they take most of the stations locally off air these days.

On OPB, PBS Kids has the PBSK logo and OPB’s running on screen, so my guess is that OPB+ and PBSK are being taken off air by Comcast.

washnotore
    Participant
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

What? 30 FPS on 10-04??

Why are they using such a high frame rate for still-frame slides anyways? What a waste of bandwidth. Wouldn’t it be better served at say 1 FPS instead, or just ditching the video stream altogether and going audio-only?

But then, that would make sense.

DarkStar
    Participant

What? 30 FPS on 10-04??

Why are they using such a high frame rate for still-frame slides anyways? What a waste of bandwidth. Wouldn’t it be better served at say 1 FPS instead, or just ditching the video stream altogether and going audio-only?

I don’t know any specifics about their specific encoder, but they probably use a minimal amount of key-frames in order to keep the bandwidth very low on 10.4. The actual FPS isn’t relevant when the visual content doesn’t change. The effective FPS could actually be closer to 1 or 2 FPS.

msndrspdx
    Participant

OPB formally announced the arrival of PBS Kids on their Facebook page earlier this week. Got quite a bit of positive response. One poster to that page made the observation that “this will be better than the dreck Disney’s putting out these days.” The word should start getting around in a hurry. It’s surprising that OPB hasn’t put an ad in the Oregonian for those readers. Of course, the O doesn’t list subchannels, but they should.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I don’t know any specifics about their specific encoder, but they probably use a minimal amount of key-frames in order to keep the bandwidth very low on 10.4. The actual FPS isn’t relevant when the visual content doesn’t change. The effective FPS could actually be closer to 1 or 2 FPS.

That would make sense. What would that be, sending the complete I-frame then pad the group with blank or null P & B (difference) frames? A minimal (very efficient) picture group like that would give the impression of a high frame rate at extremely low bandwidth.

washnotore
    Participant

There is a proposal to cut federal funding to the Corporation For Public Broadcasting. What effect (if any) would this have on the PBS TV diginets like Create, First Nations, World, PBS Kids and the other local/state channels

mwdxer1
    Participant

I do not believe the Fed’s even supply much money to PBS these days. There has been talk on underwriting a program completely or even running commercials.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.