10.4 is coming (PBS Kids)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Jbpdx
    Participant

OPB’s press release regarding PBS Kids is not encouraging: “The PBS KIDS Channel on OPB will launch as a new, separate channel, and will broadcast in addition to the current kids lineup on OPB’s primary television channel.”

So instead of bringing back world affairs, gardening, cooking, travel etc. programming lost when OPB dropped Create, we’ll have two channels of children’s programming? What is management thinking at OPB? Do kids’ donations pay the bills there? This makes zero sense.

msndrspdx
    Participant

OPB has tweaked their sub channels. According to the TV page on the OPB website, the new arrangements look like this:

10.1: OPB-TV (HD)
    10.2: OPB-TV (SD)
    10.3: PBS Kids
    10.4: KOPB-FM (KMHD on SAP)

According to RabbitEars, they look like this:

10.1: OPB-TV (HD)
    10.2: OPB+
    10.3: KOPB-FM (KMHD on SAP)
    10.4: PBS Kids

In my Comcast cable bill, I got this notice:

Beginning on 24 January 2017, KOPB will launch PBS Kids on (Comcast) Ch. 311. PBSK will run 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It will feature children’s favorites such as “Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood,” “Wild Kratts,” “Dinosaur Train” and much more!

It’s worth noting that it doesn’t mention which sub channel Comcast will use to take PBSK off the OPB signal.

Also of note from Comcast:

NW Cable News (cable Ch. 49) closes tonight (6 Jan. 2017). No mention of a replacement.

On New Year’s Day, Comcast dropped the three Fox College Sports channels: Atlantic (Ch. 413), Central (414), and Pacific (415). These ran Fox Sports regional programs and events from other parts of the country. Although they went out in HD, Comcast ran them in SD and never promoted them very well. No word on replacements for these.

Starting on 12 January, Impact Network replaces the Word Network on Ch. 486. Comcast describes Impact as an African-American, Christian family oriented network.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I would think that the the audio streams would be on 10.4. A change in 10.2 to SD? I have not checked their page as yet, but I had read OPB+ (10.2) would be in HD.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Since 10.4 is new, over the air viewers will, of course, have to rescan their boxes in order to get the new subchannel, plus any other changes that might’ve happened since the turn of the year. Comcast has not activated Ch. 311 yet for PBS Kids. Might be a good time to check just what OPB has done to their subchannel lineup, and to see if they have a graphic or promotional reel running on the new stream.

And a reminder, this should be mirrored on the other OPB stations (i.e. KOAC 7 in Corvallis should now be running 7.1 through 7.4) and relays as well.

jr_tech
    Participant

Present OTA lineup:
    10-1 OPB 1080i
    10-2 OPB+ 480i
    10-3 OPB FM 480i
    no 10-4 yet

washnotore
    Participant

With PBS Kids coming to new OPB subchannel soon. It will allow OPB to reduce the number of children hours on OPB main channel. Don’t bank on it going away. Just because another subchannel will take on kids programing.

There is a the agreement in place with PBS stations. As well as FCC regulations. That all digital subchannels must have so type of “Kid Vid” programing. This has been a thorn in the side of commercial broadcasters and networks over the years.

One PBS subchannel that OPB has never carried. Is the Spanish PBS service V-Me. It’s agreement with PBS on OTA is going away soon. So this is why PBS Kids is becoming a replacement for most PBS stations around the nation.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I wish OPB would have had a channel just with Worldview as 28 does in Seattle.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Now per the OPB list of translators and stations. Launch is the 23rd, per earlier reports.
    10.1 OPB HD
    10.2 OPB+ SD
    10.3 KIDS HD
    10.4 Radio SD

I wonder why they are going with HD for PBS kids rather than the OPB+? Do little kids really care if the signal is in HD?

msndrspdx
    Participant

OPB+ is supposed to upgrade to HD this month, correct? That would be three HD channels and one SD channel. By the way, just a thought. Comcast should look to that OPB-FM feed as a way to fill the vacancy created on cable Ch. 49 by the demise of NW Cable News. Several cable systems around the state run it. Last summer, my mother, a few friends, and I spent a few days in a Lincoln City rental house on the beach, which has Charter cable. They run the OPB-FM feed in full screen (RabbitEars refers to this setting as 480i[w]). I think it would make sense for Comcast to have it there. Plus there’s the fact that Comcast’s X1 boxes are set up for SAP. The OPB-FM feed has OPB Music (KOPB-FM HD-2) and KMHD on SAP there, and in theory, they could take all three streams. Most of the downstate systems are set up to take KOPB-FM only.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I see conflicting reports. I see OPB in HD, OPB+ in HD. and others I see OPB in HD and PBS Kids in HD. Can they handle three HD channels along with one SD? I heard they can handle up to two HDs and two SD.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just phoned OPB. Here is the layout for the 23rd.

10.1 OPB (HD)
    10.2 OPB+ (SD) Later to be HD
    10.3 PBS Kids (HD)
    10.4 OPB Radio

washnotore
    Participant

The folks at KEVE-LP have figured out. How to send two 720i stream at a low bitrate. Along with the two 480i streams they already have.

It looks likes 10.4 OPB Radio will get the short end of the stick. When it comes to a really low bitrate.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Since I do not get KEVE-LP here, how does it look in HD/SD? Is the pq quality decent? Thanks

msndrspdx
    Participant

Earlier this week, the PBS Kids Facebook page unveiled a new promo spot announcing that the network will expand to a 24/7 schedule starting next Monday the 23rd. That, of course, is the day OPB starts airing it as a new subchannel. The expansion applies both online and on air. In addition, the network tweaks its name to PBS Kids 24/7, also starting Monday. At present, the network closes for the night at 5pm ET/PT each day.

The OPB listing on RabbitEars now reflects PBSK’s new name, as well as on other PBS stations.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Also of note: Comcast has not yet activated Ch. 311 for PBS Kids 24/7. I’m assuming that happens this weekend. According to OPB’s website, OPB+ goes to full HD starting this Monday as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.