10.4 is coming (PBS Kids)

This topic contains 59 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

I read on another site that 10.4 is coming, PBS Kids (Soon). So it looks like we will be getting 2 new channels in the not too distant future. I had read that 2.4 is supposed to be THIS TV, but I have not verified either as yet. The TV stations often do not announce a new channel until it is ready to go.

Jbpdx
    Participant

That is encouraging. I never could understand why OPB dedicated their 1080p .1 channel to children’s programming most of the day during the week. Now we’ll get back some of the programming we lost when OPB dumped Create, which is still carried in most cities.

This TV is already carried by KRCW on 32.3; it previously was carried on KATU. Because it’s a sister network to AntennaTV I can’t see it switching. Movies! is the network someone needs to pick up in Portland.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, THIS is on KRCW, but I figured it may be a situation like when Get TV went from KATU to KOIN. Maybe KRCW wants some other network. There seem to be some musical chairs with the .nets. Dish has added several with national feeds. They now carry FETV (COZI), Leff, Get TV, Grit, and Justice TV. More to come I have heard. Out here on the coast where we were staved for OTA TV, we now have 2-6-8-10-12 and the subs, giving us 15 OTA channels. Antennas have popped up everywhere. I wish KRCW had a translator out here. We would get Antenna TV. If I had the money, I would pay KRCW to built one out here.

msndrspdx
    Participant

The PBS stations in Phoenix and Tucson, according to RabbitEars, will carry PBS Kids starting in early January. One is reported to be running a PBS Kids promo reel on the new subchannel already. OPB was one of the few PBS stations that didn’t carry PBSK full time. I think it makes sense. Hopefully they’re talking to Comcast and the other major cable outlets around the state about channel arrangements. At present, Comcast runs OPB Plus (aka OPB2) on Ch. 310, while the main network is in HD on 710.

Jbpdx
    Participant

ThisTV and AntennaTV are Tribune networks. KRCW is owned by Tribune. I don’t see ThisTV switching stations again, especially to a non-Tribune station.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I was not aware that Tribune also owned THIS. If that is the case, then it is unlikely that KATU will pick it up (again). There are several .nets we do not have. Heroes & Icons, Movies, Bounce, Buzzr, etc. Movies is a good channel. However, I do not like sitting through tons of commercials watching movies. A TV show doesn’t bother me as much, but getting involved with a movie just to have 5-6 minute break, I loose interest quickly.

msndrspdx
    Participant

A check of RabbitEars reveals that PBS Kids will be expanding greatly in the near future. PBS stations reporting additions soon include OPB, along with the statewide networks in MD (including the D.C. and Baltimore markets), KY, AL, MS, AR, LA, WI and ND.

In addition, new PBSK outlets in Los Angeles (both stations there will now run it), Chicago (both stations there as well), Detroit, MI; Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Diego; Salt Lake City; Pittsburgh, PA; Kansas City; Nashville, TN; Milwaukee, WI; Memphis, TN (from MS); Jacksonville, FL; Buffalo, NY; Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA; Albuquerque, NM; Knoxville, TN; Champaign/Urbana, IL; Lansing, MI; and Peoria, IL.

The new additions will put PBS Kids on 147 stations, a pretty robust total!

One other note: KGW-TV’s Facebook page is marking Ch. 8’s 60th anniversary this week.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I thought we’d be hearing something about new channels by now, with the first of the year, a frequent launch date, only a week away.

KATU 2.4 (rumored)
    KUNP 47.2 (active/empty)
    KGWZ 46.1 (active/empty)
    KPDX 49.3 (inactive/open?)
    OPB x.4 (announced/PBS Kids)

washnotore
    Participant

KUNP 47.2 at 720p is still currently wasting a lot a bandwith.

mwdxer1
    Participant

10.4 reports from PBS says in January
    2.4 reports two possibilities by the end of the year or sometime in early 2017.

But who knows when for sure. I do remember a 10.4 a few years ago when OPB had one diginet for time shifting, but once all translators were which to digital OPB dropped the 4th channel. I remember calling them asking if they were going to be using a 4th channel again, but at the time, the person told me they did not want to use extra bandwidth. I was hoping for a 24/7 feed on Worldview that they shared with Create.

msndrspdx
    Participant

On the front of the OPB website, there’s now a link entitled PBS Kids. It leads to a page with the text of OPB’s formal announcement that they will indeed carry PBSK in 2017. They confirm that they are talking to cable systems around the state about channel arrangements. A startup date will be announced in January. Phoenix and Tucson will start on Saturday, 7 January, so I would guess that a pickup of PBS Kids would likely be sometime that month, and I would guess that most of the newcomers listed above will likely start on the first weekend of the new year. Any changes on other stations, I think, would be in early January.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Another thing I missed, per OPB’s website is OPB+ will be in HD come 1/23/17. I guess they are going to do what KATU has done, using two channels in HD. I have read that with new equipment there can be two HD & two SD without a big loss in in pq, or up to 6 in SD.

washnotore
    Participant

That means OPB will have to go across the state (all be it winter time in Oregon). Just to make sure it’s Satellite and Translators stations. Will be broadcasting two HD channels on at least two SD channels.

Some high top translators and KTVR might have to wait until spring to be properly setup. I hope OPB radio will be removed from 10-3…

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

OPB is feeding audio to some of their radio stations via OPB-TV. More than once I’ve heard Sesame Street audio on KOPB (AM) 1600 in Eugene when their ota receiver got switched.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know how OPB is set up but when KOIN added Decades (6.3), all I had to do is rescan out here near Astoria (Megler), and KATU said the same thing once 2.4 is added. I have no idea how OPB has all of their translators set up, but KATU just added a piece of equipment to be able to have a 2.4. They were going to add Get TV, but it went over to KOIN. So I was told they did not know what channel was coming for 2.4, and it would be added after the first of the year sometime, whatever it will be. With both KATU & KOPB having 4 channels each, I wonder how long it will be until 12, 6, and 8 gets theirs. Talk was going around that KPDX may be shot down in the future and KPDX would go to a KPTV sub. I have no idea if that is being talked about. It would save a lot on the electricity bill.
    I lost KGW 8.1 over the holiday out here. At least I thought I had. I did a rescan and it was there, but now scans on 17.1/17.2/17.3 per the translator. But at least they are still there. Fiber is supposed to be feeding the signals to Megler, so we do not lose the signal much now days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.