1/6

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

Apple is threatening to remove Parler from the app store. I hope they follow through on the threat.

Disclosure: I never heard of Parler until this week, and now that I know it exists there’s no chance in hell I’d intentionally go poking around there.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/apple-threatens-ban-parler

Apple has given Parler, the social network favored by conservatives and extremists, an ultimatum to implement a full moderation plan of its platform within the next 24 hours or face expulsion from the App store.

EDIT: Google just pulled the Parler app from the Play Store.

Vitalogy
    Participant

We’ve all be talking for the last 5+ years about “this is act that finally sinks Trump”. Well, the stunt on Wed in DC appears that it’s finally happened.

Andrew
    Participant

Washington Post is reporting: Mitch McConnell is circulating a memo saying any impeachment trial of Trump wouldn’t start until January 19. (On January 20, McConnell loses his job as Majority Leader.) Trump’s trial could still go on after he leaves office – if convicted, he could be banned from holding office again.

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t word that very well, Andrew. Ted Cruz made this announcement: “The President’s language and rhetoric often goes too far,” the Texas senator said straight-facedly. “I think, yesterday in particular, the President’s language and rhetoric crossed the line and it was reckless. I disagree with it, and I have disagreed with the President’s language and rhetoric for the last four years.”

bookemdono
    Participant

Cruz was cut off before he could add “i just never said it out loud or in anyone’s presence.”

paulwalker
    Participant

Impeachment is unlikely as the senate has dug in. The other problem is proceedings would last longer than Trump’s term. As much as I would like to see his impeachment I believe the best route is to just let his term run out. I don’t think impeachment would do anything to bring the country together, which is important as we make Biden official just 11 days from now. I know it is already official, but the inaugural is the final step.

I know some want to make a point of this, but I believe our country will be better served with a clean break from Trump with his term simply expiring.

Andrew
    Participant

I think it’s irrelevant whether the Senate actually starts the trial in time to remove him or not. The House can impeach him without the senate and force the trial. That keeps the heat on Trump – he knows that if he does something horrendous again like order another march on the Capitol or something, the Senate can expedite the trial and boot him out – plus ban him from ever running from office again. The Senate trial can continue even after January 20 and if convicted, then they can vote to ban him from office.

The alternative – where the House says, “Yeah, never mind – we don’t need to impeach him” lets him off the hook and lets rest easier. And we don’t want him to think he can get away with something worse.

paulwalker
    Participant

All true, Andrew. But for the sake of the country would it not be better to just move past Trump? A serious question. I am referring to reducing the divide, but perhaps I am being too pollyannaish?

edselehr
    Participant

I can answer that, paulwalker: NO.

He needs to pay a price for the way he has behaved since the election, culminating in the heinous insurrection he fueled on Wednesday. A House impeachment should be the minimum he receives.

Ultimately, this isn’t about Trump – it’s about the next Trump. Hawley, Cruz and others have already started auditioning for that role. They need to know that the other branches of government are ready and willing to respond to such behavior.

Andrew
    Participant

Yep, I agree, edselehr.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Impeach.

semoochie
    Participant

I saw a very disturbing poll: The least shocking part is 69% of Republicans think Trump was not at all responsible for the march on the Capitol. Second least shocking is that 52% of Republicans think Biden is to blame and as bad as that sounds, it gets way worse! 45% of Republicans actually think it was a GOOD idea! That man and his cohorts have destroyed this country and I don’t know if we can ever recover! I sure hope so.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s a low point, but we will recover. drumpf will fade quickly, his minions are a different story. They were actually a big problem before drumpf. Now they’ve “buried the meter” so to speak. We’ll just give all the males tasers for the front pocket of their pants.

radiogeek
    Participant

Trump needs to be impeached 100%.

Then trial where Dershowitz and Guliani make total asses of themselves and get disbarred.

Hopefully convicted and barred from ever holding office again.

Then all the jurisdictions that still can after possible Federal pardons should prosecute on all remaining charges.

Then my sincere hope and wish is that Trump dies in prison.

Ed

ooops … forgot. Bankrupt as every creditor calls their loans once he’s no longer President and his name comes off all buildings, and the extended family is so damaged they can’t borrow money anymore.

• This reply was modified 6 days ago by radiogeek.
    • This reply was modified 6 days ago by radiogeek.
    semoochie
    Participant

“Then my sincere hope and wish is that Trump dies in prison.” 30 years from now!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.