1/6

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

What a day. An attempted coup, Dems win back the Senate and now control congress.

Some whispers of using the 25th amendment to get rid of Trump, but that probably is futile with just 13 days left for the crumander-in-chief.

Hopefully idiot Ted Cruz and ilk will give up their self political objection dispute of the election after today’s events.

I can’t think of another day so important to our country since 9/11.

Vitalogy
    Participant

25th Amendment now!

lastday
    Participant

25th Amendment all the way. It’s crystal clear now.

se·di·tion

noun: sedition; plural noun: seditions
    conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

paulwalker
    Participant

Twitter just banned Trump! (For 12 hours atleast).

radiogeek
    Participant

We can’t wait until Jan 20th.

Can we please have President Pence for 13 days.

Now.

radiogeek
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Rand Paul said (per MSNBC) that after the first vote (I’m assuming he’s referring to the vote on the Arizona objections) that the Redrumpflicans will not make any more objections.

Several GOP Governors are calling for drumpf to resign or be removed via the 25th Amendment.

Andrew
    Participant

I don’t understand why people keep mentioning the 25h Amendment. It would be harder to remove Trump that way, because you would need 2/3 of the House to vote to affirm that (as well as 2/3 of the Senate), whereas for impeachment you need 2/3 of the Senate but only a majority of the House – and no input from the cabinet that is largely loyal to Trump.

So you’d need some House Republicans to go along. The House has a sizable group of Trump nuts who are clearly not going to vote to remove him. But in impeachment no Republican votes are required in the House – only about 20 in the Senate (down to 17 once the two new Democrats from Georgia are seated).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxxv

radiogeek
    Participant

Andrew, it would be not to permanently remove Trump, but to put Pence in as acting Pres long enough to get to the end of term, or at least to make a serious statement. The Cabinet can do this tonight, and it gives several days for the Cabinet to override Trump’s objection before it would have to end up in Congress.

Could there be a faster impeachement and trial? Depends if House and Senate rules can be adopted by majority vote. If debate is cut off or negotiated to be only a few hours by each body it could go faster than “normal”.

I think it’s vital to at the very least make a bold statement that forces Trump to consider leaving town early.

Ed

Andrew
    Participant

Right – at most they get four days to force Trump out before Congress would have to ratify it, and I don’t see how the House votes 2/3 to sustain a removal. I suppose you could argue that they could do BOTH – that four days might be enough time for the House to impeach him, anyway, and keep him out of office until the Senate could vote to convict. But without impeachment, how does pushing him out for only four days help?

I suppose his cabinet could just keep re-filing the 25th Amendment with Congress four days at a time and try to get another four days until January 20th, but I have no idea of the legal issues with such an approach. I’m still skeptical you can get 1/2 of the cabinet to go along with it or if there are even enough confirmed cabinet officers – do “acting” cabinet heads count?

Impeachment could be passed quickly if it had to be. If the Senate had 67 votes to remove him, they have 51 votes to change the rules to allow that to happen.

Andrew
    Participant

As horrific as the events of today were, the real problem was the incredibly awful security at the Capitol. Who knew you could basically just walk into the US Capitol almost unimpeded??? We are very lucky some terrorist group didn’t try this earlier and kidnap a bunch of members of Congress or just blow the place up – looks like that would have been ridiculously easy.

I’m thinking someone needs to go down to Home Depot to start and buy some locks for those doors at the Capitol entrance! How about at least locking the f’ing doors next time???

If the Capitol had been secured properly, then they wouldn’t have been let the mob in and it could have been contained to just an ugly scene out front instead of the catastrophe that followed.

paulwalker
    Participant

I agree, Andrew.

And I think this is the bigger story. Why was the Capitol so unprotected? This is a major failure among who? Capitol police, Secret Service, DC police? A lot of questions that need to be answered.

mwdxer1
    Participant

If we make it that far. With Trump holding the nuke codes, who knows what he might try to do? Someone said he is like a caged animal now.

semoochie
    Participant

Andrew, what you cited referred to returning power to the President after being temporarily incapacitated. This is what you meant to say: “Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.”

semoochie
    Participant

It’s over!!! The worst day in recent American history has turned into the best! After the democrats regaining the senate and Biden being certified as the incoming President, Trump has announced that there will be a peaceful transition of power on January 20th! It isn’t a full concession but it’s more than I expected. I’m no longer terrified for the first time in four years!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.