feedback.pdxradio.com » Portland Radio

6 OPB Tv Channels?

(18 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by itsvern
  • Latest reply from msndrspdx

Tags:

1. itsvern

vacuum tube

Rescanned my converter and found Opb Tv on 10.1 thru 10.6! Create is now 10.5 and OPB FM is 10.6! Maybe they will add PBS Kids? What are other PBS or NPR Tv channels are available nation wide?

Posted on June 27, 2011 - 11:00 PM #
  2. Andrew

vacuum tube

Yes, saw them too.

Posted on June 27, 2011 - 11:12 PM #
  3. jr_tech

vacuum tube

My Sony HDTV shows no programming on 10-1 & 10-2, it just appears that the 4 OPB channels got shifted up two spaces with no additional programming. Glitch at the transmitter?
    A small portable (myGOtv) shows programming on 6 OPB channels but two are duplicates.
    A Zenith converter box is still showing the original 4 channels, perhaps it does not auto scan.
    I just did an"update" scan on a Channel Master box, and no new channels were found. The original 4 OPB are all that I see.

Posted on June 27, 2011 - 11:13 PM #
  4. speer360

vacuum tube

Only thing I can think of is that they planning on giving OPB Music and KMHD separate audio only channels

I rescanned on my Vizio TV
    10-1 - OPB Plus
    10-2 - OPB Radio
    10-3 - OPB HD
    10-4 - OPB

Posted on June 28, 2011 - 12:11 AM #
  5. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

Comcast is using 10.4 for analog Ch. 10, 10.3 for HD Ch. 710, and 10.2 on Ch. 310 for OPB Plus. The Plus channel, up to now, has been carrying PBS Create 6 AM to 6 PM daily, with alternate OPB/PBS programs running evenings and overnights. (Most PBS stations are carrying Create on a multicast fulltime 24/7; OPB, until now, has been one of the few exceptions to that.) Best, M.

Posted on June 28, 2011 - 08:47 AM #
  6. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

Just checked the OPB website...no announcements there about any changes to the multicast lineup. However the Google map on the OPB site showing the conversion status of the downstate repeaters to DTV shows some rapid progress since the last time I checked. Most of those that haven't been switched to DTV yet are rural areas for the most part...Best, M.

Posted on June 28, 2011 - 10:27 PM #
  7. motozak3

vacuum tube

I got back from Pendleton an hour ago and re-scanned the Pansat and the EZ27. Now everything's shifted _down_ one space on the multiplex! (The 4*3 stream is on 10-01, PBS Create/OPB Plus on 10-02, pictures/radio simulcasts on 10-03 and the "NO SIGNAL" message generated by my receivers on 10-04.)

Is anyone even up there at the transmitter or down on Macadam actually *monitoring* the multiplex?

Posted on July 6, 2011 - 07:59 PM #
  8. The schedules for 10.1 and 10.2 have been shuffled, and 10.3 has been eliminated (replaced by OPB Radio, formerly on 10.4). See their Facebook page.

Primetime schedules:
    http://www.opb.org/television/schedules/opb-tv-hd/multiday/2011/07/06/?q=prime

http://www.opb.org/television/schedules/opb-tv-plus/multiday/2011/07/06/?q=prime

Posted on July 6, 2011 - 08:12 PM #
  9. P.S. Their schedule now makes some kind of sense.

Posted on July 6, 2011 - 10:57 PM #
  10. motozak3

vacuum tube

So what do they plan to use the now-freed-up bandwidth for, then? Mobile/portable ATSC?

Posted on July 7, 2011 - 12:00 AM #
  11. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

I've got OPB Plus on Comcast Ch. 310 on my TV just now, and they've got NHK's English-language newscast "Newsline" off NHK World (that's NHK's English-language eqivalent of BBC World Service) currently running on-air. On-Screen Guide reports several schedule changes, including a LIVE airing of "PBS Newshour" at 4PM...I'm assumng that this is their new weekday pattern...Best, M.

Posted on July 7, 2011 - 07:21 AM #
  12. itsvern

vacuum tube

On antenna i get 10.1, 10.2 & 10.3. There's more discussion about the changes on OPB TV's Facebook page!

Posted on July 7, 2011 - 07:29 PM #
  13. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

And I just noticed that the TV Weekly magazine distributed with the Oregonian, is, starting today, showing the OPB Plus listings where those for OPB-HD should be. (Oops! ) TV Weekly acknowledges only one multicast, KATU's THIS-TV on over-air 2.2/Comcast Ch. 302. The Oregonian's primetime listings don't list a single multicast at all (boo, hiss! )! Best, M.

Posted on July 7, 2011 - 11:36 PM #
  14. Audio problems last night on the first channel, lots of dropouts.

Posted on July 8, 2011 - 10:28 AM #
  15. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

OPB has now posted details on the website of the DTV multicast rearrangement, which took effect on 7/6/2011. There is now no longer separate analog-format and widescreen HD feeds of the primary OPB network feed; now there's just one, branded OPB-HD on 10.1, while OPB Plus (with some significant schedule changes, details on the website) is on 10.2, and OPB Radio is now 10.3. Because of the changeover, some cable viewers are getting OPB Plus instead of OPB-HD on a temporary basis; OPB says they're working with cablesystems to work out the bugs. For now, 10.3 is over-the-air ONLY, no cable carraige. OPB PLus is NOT available on DishNet or DirecTV; they still have to work out deals for those.
    Viewers watching over the air should rescan their DTV boxes/tuners so that the new OPB arrangement appears properly on your tuner. Cablesystems will have to do this too, at their headends, so be aware of "odd" OPB scedules for a few days on some cable outlets...Best, M.

Posted on July 8, 2011 - 12:22 PM #
  16. motozak3

vacuum tube

I wouldn't exactly hold my breath waiting for Echo$tar or Direct-TV to ever carry OPB Plus, or any other sub-channel stream for that matter.....just as I wouldn't hold my breath for Direct-TV to ever use the same industry-standard transmission format that just about everyone else uses (DVB-S vs. Thomson DSS), but I digress.

So I ask again, what do OPB plan to use the now-freed-up bandwidth for? Mobile/portable ATSC?

Posted on July 8, 2011 - 01:21 PM #
  17. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

The schedule changes on OPB Plus include theme nights, "Austin City Limits" switching from OPB-HD to OPB Plus on Saturday nights, and a Saturday night movie right after "Austin City Limits" each week, starting this Saturday (7/9) with "Charade." See the OPB website for the full details; PBS Create appears to be squeezed out of weekday daytimes on OPB Plus as well...Best, M.

Posted on July 8, 2011 - 09:25 PM #
  18. msndrspdx

vacuum tube

The last remaining analog OPB translators (according to the chart on the OPB website) have been shifted from OPB to OPB Plus. These are mostly rural areas in far Eastern Oregon, such as Halfway (east of LaGrande). These folks will apparently be stuck with OPB Plus until their translator gets digitally-converted...Best, M.

Posted on July 10, 2011 - 07:19 PM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.