feedback.pdxradio.com » Politics and other things

12 Reasons Why Rick Perry Would Be Destructive And Dangerous As President

(40 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Andy_brown
  • Latest reply from NoParty

1. Andy_brown

vacuum tube

As the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry has jumped to the head of the pack of the Republican Presidential field as of late, and the spotlight has rightfully been put on him. With that spotlight comes a lot of attention, and it’s not always good. With the Tea Party takeover nearly complete, the Republican Party has shown that unless their candidates go further and further to the extreme right, they will not have a home to rest in. Rick Perry is number one with the Republican Party and there is a reason for it. Perry’s stance and ideology is a dangerous one for anyone in this country, with the possible exception of the top 1% of income earners and big business. Here are a dozen of the many reasons why Rick Perry would be a disaster and dangerous as president.

1. Perry believes that one of the most successful programs in our countries history, Social Security, is a Ponzi scheme. Perry wants to eliminate Social Security even though the majority of seniors rely solely on the program and don’t want anyone in the private sector putting their greedy hands on it.

2. Perry denies scientific facts relating to Evolution, and wants “Creationism” being taught to children.

3. Perry loves to talk about his great record creating jobs over the last decade, however his state of Texas is number one in jobs paying the minimum wage, and 25th in unemployment, at just over 8%.

4. Rick Perry’s wonderful solution for the drought Texas went through in April was praying for rain. Enough said.

5. Despite being a “Christian”, over the last decade as Governor of Texas Perry has overseen more executions than any governor in modern history with the giant number of 234. Perry’s death number is more than the total of next two states, Oklahoma and Virginia, combined.

6. In May of 2011, Perry continued his Anti-Choice stance on abortion, mandating that every woman getting an abortion must get a sonogram of the fetus and have the doctor explain, in detail, everything about the picture, with the only exceptions involving rape or incest. Perry also wanted to defund Planned Parenthood, one of the top organizations that many middle-class and low-income earners rely on for medical help.

7. As Perry has cut from public education, Texas has one of the worst education systems in the country, Texas ranks 49th in verbal SAT scores and 46th in Math SAT scores. In addition Texas has the lowest rate of adults with a high school diploma.

8. Perry has called the 16th Amendment, income tax, unconstitutional. Apparently Perry thinks all those roads, bridges and tunnels will build themselves, unless he gets his rich campaign donors to make money off them instead.

9. Perry has called for an amendment to the Constitution to ban abortion and same-sex marriage adding to the bigotry of the conservative agenda and the hypocrisy of the Republican Party’s supposed “small government” ideology.

10. Staying on the same track as most conservatives and taking the stance that science doesn’t matter, Perry believes that Climate Change is made up by scientists just so they can make a buck even though bipartisan studies have shown over 97% of climate scientists believe that Global Warming/Climate Change is caused by the human impact.

11. Rick Perry was part of a proposed scheme to take life insurance policies out on elderly retired teachers with the promise to give kick backs to Wall Street investors.

12. Perry has said that any regulation to the banking industry is unconstitutional; apparently forgetting that deregulation was the leading cause of the economic collapse in 2008.

http://wp.me/p1w9KV-38r

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:08 PM #
  2. More crap from a radical left wing hate site. Way to go Andy.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:14 PM #
  3. Andy_brown

vacuum tube

You're welcome, Deane. Clearly, no one can be as informed as you. You should spend more time here enlightening us with your wit and charm.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:19 PM #
  4. edust1958

vacuum tube

If Perry is the GOP candidate for President in 2012 and continues on the far right side of the spectrum, it should be easy for Obama to retain the White House. It also may allow the development of a reasonable fiscally conservative (really fiscally conservative -- not the pretend version in the GOP now) and socially liberal middle party. I would welcome that...and probably vote for that!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:21 PM #
  5. NoParty

vacuum tube

Deane....

PISS OFF if you don't like it. When you post crap on here do we jump down your throat because it from fascist extreme right winged CONer/TEABAGGER site.....

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:22 PM #
  6. NoParty

vacuum tube

Clearly, no one can be as informed as you.

LOL!

Deane's political views are so screwed up if he would just modify them a little he might be human....

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:23 PM #
  7. Trixter, which site would that be?

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:24 PM #
  8. Vitalogy

vacuum tube

Deane, what part of the info in not true?

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:28 PM #
  9. NoParty

vacuum tube

You've NEVER used a right winged site?

EVER????

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:28 PM #
  10. Deane, what part of the info in not true?

I have no interest in defending Perry, and I certainly have no interest in debating garbage spewed from a radical left wing hate site. I'm simply pointing out where it is coming from.

Most liberals on this board, but obviously not all, are capable of seeing through the garbage.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:31 PM #
  11. NoParty

vacuum tube

Still waiting Deane?

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 12:32 PM #
  12. Vitalogy

vacuum tube

Does where it comes from take away from the fact everything that's listed is factually accurate?

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:05 PM #
  13. Vitalogy, if it came from Andy's favorite troll site, then one can pretty much assume it's loaded with inaccuracies. Just glancing through it, it's obvious it loaded with opinion. You're smart enough to see that...I think.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:12 PM #
  14. Would someone get Trixter a beer. He's just sitting around waiting on something.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:12 PM #
  15. Andy_brown

vacuum tube

Can you be specific, Deane, as to what is opinion and not fact? After all, no one here is as wise and experienced as you and our abilities to see through rhetoric is nowhere near as good as yours.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:14 PM #
  16. Vitalogy

vacuum tube

Deane, I challenge you to prove that JUST ONE of what is listed is not true.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:20 PM #
  17. edust1958

vacuum tube

I would like to see Deane refute the statements made in the posted article. Just dismissing the site is not good enough for me. It may be good enough for Deane but not for me... and I suspect that Deane would not accept the same if he posted information in support of his views.

To quote another poster on this board, "Deane... we all know you can do better..."

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:22 PM #
  18. I don't think there is a single point on there that doesn't have opinion in it.

I will repeat, I have no interest in defending Perry. Andy's presenting it as fact is what I challenged.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:22 PM #
  19. edust1958

vacuum tube

I see statements of what Rick Perry apparently has said in the course of either his term as Governor or in his current bid for the GOP candidacy for President. Either he said those things or he didn't... to me that is not opinion... other than Perry's... there is a spin to how those opinions are presented and I would agree with you on that point.

For example, "5. Despite being a “Christian”, over the last decade as Governor of Texas Perry has overseen more executions than any governor in modern history with the giant number of 234. Perry’s death number is more than the total of next two states, Oklahoma and Virginia, combined." The facts are the number of executions in Texas, Oklahoma and Virginia in the past decade (2001-2011? or 2000-2010?). The "Despite being a 'Christian'" is "spin" to me... there are many pro-capital punishment Christians... just as there are some pro-gay marriage Christians... Christ's tent is very big!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:31 PM #
  20. Andy_brown

vacuum tube

No, Deane, the gist of the content is all factual. Please pick one that you think isn't. We can't debate facts or opinion if you can't be more specific. The hard part is that every numbered statement is factual. He wants creationism and prayed for rain, just to point out two facts. Help yourself out here, Deane, or your just being curmudgeonly.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:32 PM #
  21. Deane>>"More crap from a radical left wing hate site. Way to go Andy."

It looks like the same stuff Rick Perry put in his book that was published about 9 months ago, way before he thought he would be running for POTUS.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:34 PM #
  22. Andy_brown

vacuum tube

Deane hates facts, Pete.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:35 PM #
  23. Can't say as I need any help. But, thanks anyway.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:36 PM #
  24. NoParty

vacuum tube

Would someone get Trixter a beer. He's just sitting around waiting on something.

GD right I am! You (Deane) know what I'm waiting for! I'm on beer #5....

STILL waiting....

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:36 PM #
  25. You guys can relax. Perry is not going to be the GOP candidate any more than Palin is. His star will flicker out shortly.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:37 PM #
  26. NoParty

vacuum tube

Can't say as I need any help. But, thanks anyway.

That's the first part of recovery!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:37 PM #
  27. NoParty

vacuum tube

You guys can relax.

On beer 5 buddy... That's relaxed!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:38 PM #
  28. "4. Rick Perry’s wonderful solution for the drought Texas went through in April was praying for rain. Enough said."

Surely he could have introduced legislation making droughts illegal.

But of course "praying" is something to be made fun of.

"5. Despite being a “Christian”, over the last decade as Governor of Texas Perry has overseen more executions than any governor in modern history with the giant number of 234. Perry’s death number is more than the total of next two states, Oklahoma and Virginia, combined."

So where does it say that a Christian governor should not follow the laws of the state regarding executions?

And note that the population of TX is more than twice the population of OK and VA combined. Is it therefore remarkable that they would have more executions?

"1. Perry believes that one of the most successful programs in our countries history, Social Security, is a Ponzi scheme. Perry wants to eliminate Social Security even though the majority of seniors rely solely on the program and don’t want anyone in the private sector putting their greedy hands on it."

This quote is taken out of context since he said that it was a ponzi scheme as far as this generation of young people are concerned. It's like a ponzi scheme in that it does not pay retirees out of funds they themselves paid in, but takes it from new people who get into the game. It's not a retirement program, and it's a lie to call it that, and more truthful to call it a "ponzi scheme" or "welfare for the elderly."

"Based on this data, it seems like the Social Security Administration should be able to run the program as a pay-as you-go system and merely invest people's contributions on their behalf. However, if you look closely at the numbers, you will notice that this is not what happens in practice. (Specifically, a Pay-As-You-Go system would have much more than $2.6 trillion in reserves.) Instead, at least some of the contributions from working people goes directly to pay benefits to retirees rather than earning interest. This is, in fact, very close to the definition of a Ponzi scheme. If it wasn't, the system wouldn't be reliant on new workers in order to be sustainable, whereas in reality there is much concern about the changing ratio of workers to retirees.

Unlike a Ponzi scheme, however, it is doubtful that the Social Security Administration's intention was to defraud people and leave them high and dry, so it's fair to say that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme partially in logistics but not in spirit. Unfortunately, this distinction doesn't seem particularly relevant to me when I worry about what my retirement situation is going to look like.

http://economics.about.com/b/2011/09/01/on-rick-perry-social-security-and-ponzi-schemes.htm "

"8. Perry has called the 16th Amendment, income tax, unconstitutional. Apparently Perry thinks all those roads, bridges and tunnels will build themselves, unless he gets his rich campaign donors to make money off them instead."

This is ludicrous. Opposing an income tax doesn't mean opposing other taxes.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:42 PM #
  29. Vitalogy

vacuum tube

BS Deane. Just admit you're wrong.

1. Perry called SS a ponzi scheme.

"Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry continued his attack on Social Security over the weekend, calling it a "Ponzi scheme" and a "monstrous lie" to younger Americans who should not expect to get back their contributions upon retirement."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20098635-503544.html

2. Perry denies evolution and wants creationism taught in school.

The video of him saying it speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7spLBfMHY

3. The unemployment rate in Texas is 8.4%

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST480000&fdim_y=seasonality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate+texas#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=unemployment_rate&fdim_y=seasonality:S&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=state&idim=state:ST480000&ifdim=state&hl=en&dl=en

And, Texas does lead the nation in minimum wage jobs.

http://www.bls.gov/ro6/fax/minwage_tx.htm

4. Perry prayed for rain.

"Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Days of Prayer for Rain in Texas"

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16038/

5. Perry has been governor for 234 executions.

Fact: http://www.bls.gov/ro6/fax/minwage_tx.htm

Should I keep going or do you see a trend? Me right, you wrong.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:44 PM #
  30. NoParty

vacuum tube

BS Deane. Just admit you're wrong.

RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:48 PM #
  31. edust1958

vacuum tube

I would like to go on record and congratulate FairandBalanced. Your last post was a good contribution to the discussion.

I don't think the article is trying to "make fun" of praying. For those who do not place faith in God or God's power, petitioning or praying to God is a useless exercise -- akin to offering a heart attack victim a band-aid as a solution. For those who do believe that God answers our prayers, Governor Perry's prayers would at least comfort us that he understands that quite a bit of events in this world are not in our hands but in God's. He is demonstrating shared beliefs.

I think the bigger challenge for many is that this country prides itself on an inclusive democratic process that places no requirement on citizens that they believe in any particular relationship to God or in the existence of God at all. In that environment, to have a public official in an official capacity express their personal faith can be and often in offensive to others who are citizens and don't share their beliefs. Governor Perry would have been better off to simply state, "Government does not have a solution to this drought; it is beyond the influence of public policy."

If these statements are correct regarding the Governor's positions, I would not put myself in the Governor's camp for his run for the White House.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 01:58 PM #
  32. Thank you edust. That original post consists of shallow one-liners and no substance or context. And much is misleading, such as the comparison of a state the size of TX to two states combined that are less than half its size. There is therefore some intentional misleading going on there, destroying the credibility of the article.

If I'm to be scared of Rick Perry, I need some solid reasons, and not tabloid headlines.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:04 PM #
  33. NoParty

vacuum tube

If I'm to be scared of Rick Perry, I need some solid reasons.

Listen to him talk about what he wants to do as President and that will scare the living shit out of you....

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:09 PM #
  34. I hadn't followed f&b's posts much on this board until now, but he makes more sense than most anybody here. And, he seems to do the best research into facts.

I'm still puzzled as to why everyone wanted to attack him. Is there, indeed, truth to the old saying "the truth hurts".

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:10 PM #
  35. NoParty

vacuum tube

I hadn't followed f&b's posts much on this board until now, but he makes more sense than most anybody here. And, he seems to do the best research into facts.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

WOW!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:14 PM #
  36. NoParty

vacuum tube

I'm still puzzled as to why everyone wanted to attack him. Is there, indeed, truth to the old saying "the truth hurts".

Then you CONers must not know what pain is...

WOW!

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:15 PM #
  37. "Listen to him talk about what he wants to do as President and that will scare the living shit out of you...."

I don't know if I support him or not. I haven't checked him out yet. I'm still leaning towards Romney.

But I'm not scared of the idea of privatizing social security, or phasing it out. And it doesn't scare me if he "prayed for rain." I think that's cool. What scares you about him?

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:24 PM #
  38. NoParty

vacuum tube

I don't know if I support him or not. I haven't checked him out yet. I'm still leaning towards Romney.

I for one like Romney as a person. I don't think some of his policies are smart but he is a CONer.

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 02:29 PM #
  39. Broadway

vacuum tube

>>the old saying "the truth hurts".
    Here here DJ--

Posted on September 5, 2011 - 05:47 PM #
  40. NoParty

vacuum tube

That's why your numb Broadway....

Posted on September 6, 2011 - 01:09 PM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.