As the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry has jumped to the head of the pack of the Republican Presidential field as of late, and the spotlight has rightfully been put on him. With that spotlight comes a lot of attention, and it’s not always good. With the Tea Party takeover nearly complete, the Republican Party has shown that unless their candidates go further and further to the extreme right, they will not have a home to rest in. Rick Perry is number one with the Republican Party and there is a reason for it. Perry’s stance and ideology is a dangerous one for anyone in this country, with the possible exception of the top 1% of income earners and big business. Here are a dozen of the many reasons why Rick Perry would be a disaster and dangerous as president.
1. Perry believes that one of the most successful programs in our countries history, Social Security, is a Ponzi scheme. Perry wants to eliminate Social Security even though the majority of seniors rely solely on the program and don’t want anyone in the private sector putting their greedy hands on it.
2. Perry denies scientific facts relating to Evolution, and wants “Creationism” being taught to children.
3. Perry loves to talk about his great record creating jobs over the last decade, however his state of Texas is number one in jobs paying the minimum wage, and 25th in unemployment, at just over 8%.
4. Rick Perry’s wonderful solution for the drought Texas went through in April was praying for rain. Enough said.
5. Despite being a “Christian”, over the last decade as Governor of Texas Perry has overseen more executions than any governor in modern history with the giant number of 234. Perry’s death number is more than the total of next two states, Oklahoma and Virginia, combined.
6. In May of 2011, Perry continued his Anti-Choice stance on abortion, mandating that every woman getting an abortion must get a sonogram of the fetus and have the doctor explain, in detail, everything about the picture, with the only exceptions involving rape or incest. Perry also wanted to defund Planned Parenthood, one of the top organizations that many middle-class and low-income earners rely on for medical help.
7. As Perry has cut from public education, Texas has one of the worst education systems in the country, Texas ranks 49th in verbal SAT scores and 46th in Math SAT scores. In addition Texas has the lowest rate of adults with a high school diploma.
8. Perry has called the 16th Amendment, income tax, unconstitutional. Apparently Perry thinks all those roads, bridges and tunnels will build themselves, unless he gets his rich campaign donors to make money off them instead.
9. Perry has called for an amendment to the Constitution to ban abortion and same-sex marriage adding to the bigotry of the conservative agenda and the hypocrisy of the Republican Party’s supposed “small government” ideology.
10. Staying on the same track as most conservatives and taking the stance that science doesn’t matter, Perry believes that Climate Change is made up by scientists just so they can make a buck even though bipartisan studies have shown over 97% of climate scientists believe that Global Warming/Climate Change is caused by the human impact.
11. Rick Perry was part of a proposed scheme to take life insurance policies out on elderly retired teachers with the promise to give kick backs to Wall Street investors.
12. Perry has said that any regulation to the banking industry is unconstitutional; apparently forgetting that deregulation was the leading cause of the economic collapse in 2008.